Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there's no one else or nowhere else to get a suitable capsule from?

Chunger

I ordered some c12 boards and part kits last week. What your curent lead time before shipping??

Eric

Can I preorder/prepay a headbasket? Just want to make sure I get one, I'll be in brasil after may29 and getting shipments there is a pain.

thanks

Toure14 said:
And there's no one else or nowhere else to get a suitable capsule from?

A lot of people are getting RK12 from Microphone parts or Peluso's capsule, but they are nothing like Tim's.  Hyundai vs Bentley.

Good news.  Headbaskets should be arriving next week and I have a tracking number.  The least expensive shipping route took them over land in China for a stretch before flying over the pond.

Bad news on HT-11A microphones.  The Alctron factory reports one of their suppliers messed up a part and they must remake it.  We are delayed one additional month.  ETA 2nd half of July.

Prototype for GT-2B and SYT-5 bodies also incurred a slight delay.  Outer bodies and headbaskets are complete, but the internal rails for the sample are being remade.

chunger said:
Good news.  Headbaskets should be arriving next week and I have a tracking number.  The least expensive shipping route took them over land in China for a stretch before flying over the pond.

Bad news on HT-11A microphones.  The Alctron factory reports one of their suppliers messed up a part and they must remake it.  We are delayed one additional month.  ETA 2nd half of July.

Prototype for GT-2B and SYT-5 bodies also incurred a slight delay.  Outer bodies and headbaskets are complete, but the internal rails for the sample are being remade.

Bummer on the HT-11A.  Did you say hey will include the custom headbasket?  Will there be a choice of single or double layer grill?  Also, will the original headbasket still be included?  Just wondering because I had some plans for the leftover headbaskets.  Thanks Chunger.

Also, if you hear from Tim maybe give us an update in this thread on what has been delaying his responses?

Yes, there will be a choice of single or double layer headbasket on next batch of HT-11A.  No, they will not include the original type headbasket.  I'm pretty sure you will be able to find an original one on the used market for your needs on the cheap.  I know I have about 3 of them on hand at the moment.

I'll ping Tim and see what is happening.  Perhaps vacation or something?

HI Chunger,

do you have a "list" of people for the headbasket? I think you are going to have a large take-up, and I don't want to miss it!

ANdyP

Update from Tim Campbell regarding his recent lapse in email responses.

Our little venture here has increased sales volume much more than expected.  Keep in mind, until now, Tim's normal production volume was ~20 units per month on these hand-made capsules.  Quality from the 3 samples that I have seen has never waivered.  Capsule reservations from this project alone are at about 30 units per month.  Also keep in mind Tim has "regular" customers from other avenues as well as commercial customers.  So, everyone should stop buying those mics that he OEM's capsules for  :eek: . . I kid, I kid.  Those are some pretty amazing commercially available mics that use his capsules.

So, due to the recent surge in demand, Tim has not been able to accurately gauge his lead times like he used to.  He is taking steps to streamline his workflow and add equipment (Additional CNC machine and find additional staff) to his operation, but this sort of ramp-up takes time.

Adding to the mess is the fact that in Denmark, it is getting very near tax time and he is planning a vacation with his family about 6 weeks from now.

Tim has assured me that he will catch up to email requests shortly and get everyone in the queue in the order of inquiry, but the unfortunate thing is capsule orders placed at this time may likely not be fulfilled until September.  He has never had to extend his lead times past 10 weeks before now.

Tim and I both are feeling the effects of increased demand on this project.  I too am currently running a solid 11 days behind in shipping orders out and it has been as bad as 16 days this month. . . because you guys cleaned me out on my first batch of electronic parts kits and I'm just this evening finishing sorting and bagging the 2nd batch.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it previously, but HT-11A bodies have been delayed 1 month also due to one of Alctron's suppliers messing up a part that has to be re-made.  We are looking at July now for these bodies to come back in stock.  But, I doubled up my quantities, so hopefully, these will stay in stock longer this time around.  It's worth mentioning again the new shipment of microphones will include the custom headbasket (your choice of mesh configuration) as standard.  They will not come with the original Alctron-type headbaskets since most people myself included cannibalize them and will likely not use them once the custom ones arrive.

I agree stay the course but don't kill yourself. Please tell Tim to take his time as well. Vacation with the family is needed and should be done without any regrets. Thank You Chunger for all you have done and please don't let it mess up your life. I am sure we can all hark back to the days when all of this was a distant dream, remembering what fun it was having unbridled anticipation. Its like waiting for your birthday when your little all over again. Yippee!

Thanks Again.

Thanks Chunger.  Glad to hear he is not ignoring us.  I can live with September as LNG as I Know it's coming.  I can use the RK12 until.

As for the donor mics, I'm still in for 4, two of each, when they arrive.  I the mean time, will you be getting any extra parts with the order?  Mainly unmarked sleeves?

chunger said:
Headbaskets cleared customs in Memphis, TN and are currently in Oakland, CA.  They are on track for Monday delivery.  8)

Are BOTH = Single & Double layer Headbaskets going to be in stock today?
I'm hoping as I'm looking to get 2 of the ELAM-Double Layers asap.

Thanks for doing this.

Headbaskets are live in the webstore.  There is one problem with the order that I am quite upset about.

The requested bend in the metal hoop that I specifically requested and was promised would be executed is NOT correct on the production batch.  I'm pretty darn mad about this  :mad:  and am going to have some words with the factory about it, but the headbaskets in general look nice and are exactly like the photos on the webstore and on this thread.

All are in stock.  I am currently 14 days behind in general shipping and there will be a surge in orders because of this new product, so I apologize in advance for the longer-than-normal turn-around time for orders.  I did not have the item live more than 5 minutes before I received 3 orders.

Latest posts

Back