Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
304 Mastering in Sweden

Please contact me via PM or email!  I am having trouble getting packages to you.  They have been returned to me when shipped to the address provided in your order details (paypal unconfirmed address).  I wanted to see if you could verify your shipping address or provide me with an alternate shipping address that might work better.  The reason indicated for the return of the package is "moved".

Thanks.

For everyone who has placed headbasket orders recently,  please contact me if there are any additional charges or anomalies with the shipping.

One customer has reported a shipping surcharge because I stuff a box inside of a USPS flat rate envelope in order to accomodate the headbasket and keep the shipping costs reasonable.

I am particularly concerned with the international shipments that have gone out because if I am not able to pack the shipments this way, the shipping costs would be astronomical.  I would appreciate a quick email when your shipment arrives to let me know if things are ok or if there have been problems.  From what I can read on various other types of forums, some post offices may have a problem with this packing methodology but most will not not.  There is a 4 lb. maximum weight for these envelopes which we are well under on all boxes that have gone out.

chunger said:
All orders that were placed on or before 5/8/2013 will be shipped out today.

I ordered a C12 kit and sent payment May 8 but have not received it.  I'm local. 

I got a pink slip from the post office but it doesn't show who sent it, it could be you or someone else.  In any case, I've been to the PO to collect it and they cannot find the item.  I also called them, and they cannot find it.  Can you track your shipments?

Thanks.

Edit:  Got the package finally, thanks for the support.

HI Chunger,

C12-like headbasket just arrived and installed. Gone is the strange phasey-ness, especially when used with a popshield! Now we're cooking with gas!

Can't wait to try the 251-sh one, since the capsule is quite vulnerable to dust now. ( and POPS!)

Wonderful, simply wonderful!

Many thanks,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
HI Chunger,

C12-like headbasket just arrived and installed. Gone is the strange phasey-ness, especially when used with a popshield! Now we're cooking with gas!

Can't wait to try the 251-sh one, since the capsule is quite vulnerable to dust now. ( and POPS!)

Wonderful, simply wonderful!

Many thanks,

ANdyP

Clips!  let's have some clips!  ;-)

Well,

I never get the point of "clips". Without context, there is little to be gleaned imho.

But . . .

I have a mix up at the moment, and not a single spare input, but If I get a mo', I'll run something off.  It'll be me singing . . . .

If I get time, I'lll do with the new basket and with the old basket.

No promises, I'm mega snowed under(for a change!)

ANdyP

chunger said:
For everyone who has placed headbasket orders recently,  please contact me if there are any additional charges or anomalies with the shipping.

I am particularly concerned with the international shipments that have gone out because if I am not able to pack the shipments this way, the shipping costs would be astronomical.  I would appreciate a quick email when your shipment arrives to let me know if things are ok or if there have been problems.

Hi chunger,
thx, headbasket well arrived here too.  It seems there was no prob regarding the USPS flat rate envelope (though the envelope was taped but I would assume it was custom wanting to check inside)

Just got the headbasket today.... looks fantastic

Thanks Chunger!

Please advise.  I would like to build the u87 with the upcoming body supplied by Chunger.  I should order the tapered PCB then, correct?  I have not seen much reported on people using Neumann factory capsules with this build.  Anyone?   

hi Chunger,

I got a tracking number from paypal a couple of days ago that said expected delivery was today.  I just checked it and it said "delivered" to Albany, CA?  Here is the tracking number I got:  9405509699937726852852

Did I get the email by mistake, or was mine sent to someone else?  And if mine went out, is there a tracking number I can have?

PP transaction ID: 56556921HD363664E

EDIT: never mind! The postman left a little box for me! Must have gotten the wrong tracking number!
Thanks!

Beeswax said:
Please advise.  I would like to build the u87 with the upcoming body supplied by Chunger.  I should order the tapered PCB then, correct?  I have not seen much reported on people using Neumann factory capsules with this build.  Anyone? 

No.  These are spec'd for the larger rectangular pcb's.  Prototype is complete.  Waiting for photos from China and then delivery of the prototype.  Stay tuned.  We have some traction on this.

Prototypes for Gen 2 SYT-5 and GT-2B microphone bodies have shipped and I should have them in hand in 48 hours.  I am cautiously optimistic that all current pcb kits will fit as specified in these new bodies and that the headbasket configurations will be improved.

chunger said:
Prototypes for Gen 2 SYT-5 and GT-2B microphone bodies have shipped and I should have them in hand in 48 hours.  I am cautiously optimistic that all current pcb kits will fit as specified in these new bodies and that the headbasket configurations will be improved.

Is this just your prototype or will there be any available for sale as well?  I would like one of each.

The SYT-5 body sleeve is an exact continuation of the Behringer Pro-2 sleeve, as I've shown here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=50197.msg649158#msg649158
The Behringer is smaller than a U67/87, the SYT-5 is bigger.
Since you've pushed the SYT-5 to generation 2 (from a new manufacturer even, if I'm not mistaken), have you considered getting it closer to the Neumann size, or would that cause problems with Dan's PCBs?

What's the current situation or availability of the U87 body kit? I have a spare internal assembly due to the innertube mod and just need a capsule and body!

Hello,
After several questions by email, I still have not received a response from you Chung.
I have already ordered several products on your site, I am very disappointed not to have received an answer to my question.
I thought this was a mutual-aid forum and not a mass market.
I wanted to make realize a headbasket for T-Bone microphone for some of my friends.
The Alctron factory can not make me such Headbasket.
I just wanted to know what is your metal factory of Headbaskets so I could ask them, because I have contacts in China, I can get a smaller MOQ. I understand that you do not want to disclose this information, but it seems to me that this forum is a mutual-aid for DIY user.
Best.
Yanki

yankimusic said:
Hello,
After several questions by email, I still have not received a response from you Chung.
I have already ordered several products on your site, I am very disappointed not to have received an answer to my question.
I thought this was a mutual-aid forum and not a mass market.
I wanted to make realize a headbasket for T-Bone microphone for some of my friends.
The Alctron factory can not make me such Headbasket.
I just wanted to know what is your metal factory of Headbaskets so I could ask them, because I have contacts in China, I can get a smaller MOQ. I understand that you do not want to disclose this information, but it seems to me that this forum is a mutual-aid for DIY user.
Best.
Yanki

Hello Yanki,

I respectfully decline to reveal the specific factories that I work with and disclose my industry contacts inside of China to anyone who asks on the internet at this time.  I am still relatively new to the manufacture and import business and am still learning the ropes and blundering through the various ins and outs of developing good working relationships with the right suppliers.

A lot of doors open up through referrals, but the tricky part about it is, the reputation of the person who is doing the referring rides on who they refer.  My first contact inside of China came from a friend who I had been doing A/V install work in the US with for more than 7 years.  He referred me based on his confidence in my ability to foster a mutually beneficial and profitable relationship with the contact he referred me to inside of China based on our long-standing relationship.  If I deal poorly with my new Chinese contact, it reflects poorly on my friend.

I am just starting out with many of my Chinese vendors and contacts and need to establish a good track record and that simply takes time.  While I am in my 1st or 2nd production run, I can ill-afford to refer people that I do not know very well because it would reflect poorly on me if something goes wrong.  Once I generate 10, 20, 30, 100 good deals and along the way, successfully refer a few of my closer friends and collaborators, I might be able to be less selective about who I refer directly to my long-standing partners overseas. .. but in the beginning before I have established a reputation of being a valuable customer, I need to be careful and focus on working out my internal problems.

This may not be how many people operate, but it is how I am trying to move forward.

I believe I contribute to the collective knowledge base in many ways and am much more "open source" about what I'm up to than many vendors and manufacturers.  I also document and evangelize other people's kits and products with the same enthusiasm here.  Or, I try to be anyways.  But, there is tremendous personal risk every time I pull the trigger on a large-quantity order from a Chinese factory because there is no guarantee that the product will be to the required quality standard or for that matter, even work.  I will take the wise advise of people who have done this much longer than I have and unapologetically retain some proprietary information in regards to my parts sources.

UPDATE:

We have good news and bad news in regards to microphone prototypes.  They arrived this morning.  I will talk about the Gen. 2 SYT-5 because this is close to production at scale.  It is a chicken/egg sort of problem here and I took the path of tailoring the microphone around the existing kits that are available and making sure they are all compatible with the Gen. 2 body.  In particular, the DU67 and DU87 family of pcb kits that Poctop designed and distributes http://www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com.

The main piece of bad news is the factory failed to execute the specified 3 layer mesh configuration.  The 2 layer sample has a closer spec'd (finer) inner layer than the 1st Gen SYT-5, but I am pressing for the proper materials to be sourced.  This is the biggest disappointment with the prototype, but I am increasingly confident I can get this done right for the actual production run.

p1825472455-4.jpg

p1625709169-4.jpg

We have changed to what I feel is a higher-quality rubber capsule mount that still fits the 35mm capsule from the Gen. 1 microphone and I am sure can be modified easily (1 drill hole) to fit an original reproduction K76 capsule, Peluso, or any other 34mm variant.

The general mechanical fit of the components is much tighter tolerance than the first Gen microphone especially at the mating point between the headbasket and the body tube and I am most pleased with how the factory has tightened up the tolerances around the switches.  This body was designed around Poctop's switch PCB and the switches sit perfectly in the tube.

p1746484852-4.jpg

The DU67 that utilizes ioaudio's transformer is the longest single PCB for this project and it fits perfectly.

p1759471414-4.jpg

p1692969329-4.jpg

The tightest-fitting build options is the DU67 kit that utilizes the AMI T67 transformer along with it's separate mounting pcb and this also fits like the Gen. 1 body.

p1700403267-4.jpg

We do have physical contact between the transformer's outer laminations and the body of the tube but the microphone does assemble completely with the transformer in place.  This occurs on my sample of the Gen. 1 body as well as the Gen. 2 body.  The Gen 1 body has a relief cut inside the body tube which may allow a hair more clearance.  I hesitate to replicate this relief cut in the gen2 body because all of the B-stock Gen 1 bodies were damaged in this area where the relief was cut on the body tube.  It creates a very thin and vulnerable spot at the bottom of the tube.  The sure way to ensure no contact whatsoever between the transformer laminations and the microphone body is to cut a small portion of the frame rail which would allow the transformer to drop deeper into the center of the body and clear the outer body tube.

Back