Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You glorious bastid!!  Great job!  If you have a neumann can you get a side by side shot of the new proto against it?  Head basket looks awesome (correct mesh or not).

Great news about the prototypes coming in!  Are there still too many variables at this time for an estimate on when the GT-2B's will be available to order? 

poolshark said:
Great news about the prototypes coming in!  Are there still too many variables at this time for an estimate on when the GT-2B's will be available to order?

Yes, I received a prototype for the GT-2B gen 2 microphone and all of the existing pcb's fit the new body which is good, but the body was based on a 52mm diameter tube instead of the nominal 60mm tube for U47 type mics.  The mistake was mine because in order to keep the final cost of the microphone low, I advised the factory to pay particular attention to the internal dimensions, rail configuration, and headbasket mesh. . .  and use the path of least resistance for the rest.

So, the gen 2 GT-2B body is not as close to production as the SYT-5 gen 2 bodies.  The good news is, the factory does have a 60mm body and we have already done the work to make the rail setup.  I also included 2 more mount points in the rails at Poctop's request for mounting transformers, so this should work out well.  I do apologize for the extended delay, but I think a better spec'd microphone at ~$60 per unit price reduction is worth it in the long run and should put some of these mic projects within reach and maybe allow folks to build multiple microphones when they could only build singles before.

I have 2 package that were returned and I have not been able to contact the customer via the supplied email address!

Martin de Magalhaes Sequeira . . .  please contact me.  Your package was returned to me and your listed email address is not working.  It appears the package was not claimed when in customs and subsequently returned.

304 Mastering,  I still have not been able to contact you and have subsequently refunded your purchase amount via paypal.  I am still holding the parts in case you get this message and can provide me with an updated shipping address.  The reason for return on this package was "moved".  I assume you may have had a change of address recently?

chunger said:
Yes, I received a prototype for the GT-2B gen 2 microphone and all of the existing pcb's fit the new body which is good, but the body was based on a 52mm diameter tube instead of the nominal 60mm tube for U47 type mics.  The mistake was mine because in order to keep the final cost of the microphone low, I advised the factory to pay particular attention to the internal dimensions, rail configuration, and headbasket mesh. . .  and use the path of least resistance for the rest.

So, the gen 2 GT-2B body is not as close to production as the SYT-5 gen 2 bodies.  The good news is, the factory does have a 60mm body and we have already done the work to make the rail setup.  I also included 2 more mount points in the rails at Poctop's request for mounting transformers, so this should work out well.  I do apologize for the extended delay, but I think a better spec'd microphone at ~$60 per unit price reduction is worth it in the long run and should put some of these mic projects within reach and maybe allow folks to build multiple microphones when they could only build singles before.

No need to apologize, I agree that a better product is worth the wait and I appreciate your effort.  I also plan on needing more than one unit so a reduction in cost is great news! 

I posting here so I receive updates on this thread. I think i'll bite the bullet on this one once parts are back in stock ;)

I just finished ordering all of the parts for another 100 parts kits.  It looks like there were enough parts in-stock from various electronics parts vendors for about 20 more kits and all back-ordered parts should be in stock 6/18, so I think I may revert the status to "in-stock" again so that people don't feel a need to panic buy when they come back online.  We are still experiencing shipping delays of about 11 days currently.  I have not yet been able to stabilize my processes and find enough free time to get 100% caught up.

jplebre said:
Hi Chunger
what about the donor mics?

Cheers!

Monitor the white market thread for general updates.  Nothing has changed on the HT-11A order.  I placed the order a while ago, and the factory should complete the production run in mid-July.  Sometimes they are faster than their projected lead times, and if that is the case, I will update immediately.

status update:

HT-11A's are still on-track and being built at the factory.  I will hear from them as soon as this production run is complete.

For the Gen. 2 SYT-5 and GT-2B bodies, the ball is in my court.  We are back and forth a little bit on the headbasket mesh specifications, so I am procuring brass mesh samples to nail down my exact mesh specifications and materials here in the US.  Once I send these samples to the factory, they will match and source materials for actual production from their regular suppliers, but they wanted to have the correct materials physically in their hands to be sure.  It is a little bit backwards because some of the sample mesh materials that I am getting come from Chinese factories, but better to be sure and get it right the first time.

I appreciate everyone's patience as we sort out these important details.  Once we get past this development phase, we should be able to get bodies out to everyone.  I know many people have been waiting.

HI Chunger,

I am a very happy camper with my C12 Headbasket, but I am also very keen to try the 251-type too. DO you have an ETA for these?

KIndest regards

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
HI Chunger,

I am a very happy camper with my C12 Headbasket, but I am also very keen to try the 251-type too. DO you have an ETA for these?

KIndest regards

ANdyP

hello Andy,

I currently have a dual layer headbasket that is made from the same tooling as the C12 headbasket.  The outer layer is the same and it adds a finer inner layer.  These are in stock and shipping.

Planned for simultaneous shipping with the HT-11A microphones is a shorter hoop-type headbasket with sharper curve radius that tracks a bit closer to the ELA M251 headbasket.  This also has a tighter mesh configuration (both outside and inside layers) than the currently available 2 layer headbasket.

So, right now, I have a dual layer headbasket that will work well, but when the new batch of donor microphones arrives, we will have 3 headbasket options.

1.  Single layer (currently available)
2.  Dual layer (currently available)
3.  Short dual layer with tighter mesh (ETA mid-July)

All will be polished nickel plate.  Keep in mind, new donor microphones will not have the option of the standard Alctron HT-11A headbasket.  You will have these 3 headbasket options to choose from when ordering.

Hello All,

Not much to update.  I am on vacation.  I tried clearing the shipping queue prior to leaving, but did not get to all outstanding orders.  Please feel free to contact me for refund if the wait time is too long.  I emailed the people who have been waiting the longest to update them on the situation.  I will return in ~1.2 weeks.

I will be getting capsule mounts back in stock.  Actually, I'll have a few options for capsule mounts upon my next shipment so this is good.  They may take a while to get in stock though because the 35mm K67 capsules are not in stock at the factory and need to be made for me.  Because there was a lot of interest in the mounts by themselves, I have ordered a significant number of bare mounts to try and keep these in stock.

HT-11A microphones should be ready any day now.  I have had a bit of chatter from the factory finalizing a few details, so I have a feeling they are close.  I am away, but have uninterrupted net access, so as usual, please feel free to ask if you have questions.

Latest posts

Back