Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good chunger.

. . . with sheetmetal inserts to make the body drop-in compatible with all rectangular PCB's designed around the 1st gen GT-2B bodies (FET47, mk47, M49, etc.

This makes that already versatile body even more versatile.

So now we need differently colored body sleeves to tell them all apart.  :p
How about bold primary colors?
Hey, that would include yellow.  :eek:

Yes, this is a DIY forum. But the bodies are ready-made anyway.  ;)

chunger said:
Update:

Shipment is scheduled to land August 16.  This shipment will contain:

- HT-11A donor microphones
- 35mm K67 type capsules
- 35mm white capsule mounts

We are having some production problems with the custom C12 headbaskets with the factory, but stock is still healthy from the first production run/order.  They are unwilling to implement the changes requested to make the headbaskets according to original specs.  I am trying to recover the tooling that was made for me (paid complete tooling costs) and shift production to another factory.  Quality should improve, but price may increase slightly.

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. What exactly did you want to change on the c12 basket that the factory has refused to do? Does this mean the HT-11A bodies that arrive on August 16 will still come with the original gen c12 headbasket (or choice of dual layer)? Thanks

There was a bend in the metal the hoop piece where it attaches to the base that I specified to make the hoop more flush with the outside edge of the headbasket.  The factory promised that this specific bend would be executed in the production batch.  I ordered without a verification sample based on this promise.  The headbaskets all arrived without this bend.  First, the factory claimed the bend was there and I had to dis-assemble a headbasket with a torch and send photos to prove the hoop was in fact straight all the way through.  Then, the factory agreed to make the change and compensate a number of headbaskets to make up for the error.  I offered to place another somewhat large order on top of these make-up units immediately so the factory did not have to make a "small" production run.  After delays, the factory said their metal sub-contractor refused to make the bend for them.  At this point, I decided it would be simply easier to stay with the same manufacturer and forego the bend and accept the agreed compensation units and place the same order as agreed upon without the bend.  Then, the factory said the single layer headbaskets had a lot of rejects in the production run and the mesh was hard to align straight and solder cleanly so they do not want to make single layer headbaskets and they will not compensate any units for their error.  Probably more than 85% of the sales are single layer, so after all of this, I decided to pull the plug on this factory as I have been trying to work with them, but too many reversals on agreements when they did not deliver as promised despite my efforts to make it worth their while.  I have demonstrated already that I can buy at volume but they don't seem to want the business.  I have paid the entire tooling cost in full, so I should not have problems getting the tooling from the factory, so I have requested they send me the tooling.  I have arranged for another factory to make the headbasket.  I would not be surprised if the original factory refuses to relinquish the tooling though :-\ .  Such is the nature of doing business in China.

I still have enough stock of headbaskets of each type to cover all of the donor bodies in this shipment.  I did order a TON of them and even with steady sales, I still have quite a supply in stock.  For this run of HT-11A's, there will be 3 headbasket options to choose from:

1.  single layer (my design)
2.  dual layer (my design)
3.  dual layer short (closest to ELA M251 see picture below)

p1656214585.jpg

Melodeath00 said:
chunger said:
Update:

Shipment is scheduled to land August 16.  This shipment will contain:

- HT-11A donor microphones
- 35mm K67 type capsules
- 35mm white capsule mounts

We are having some production problems with the custom C12 headbaskets with the factory, but stock is still healthy from the first production run/order.  They are unwilling to implement the changes requested to make the headbaskets according to original specs.  I am trying to recover the tooling that was made for me (paid complete tooling costs) and shift production to another factory.  Quality should improve, but price may increase slightly.

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. What exactly did you want to change on the c12 basket that the factory has refused to do? Does this mean the HT-11A bodies that arrive on August 16 will still come with the original gen c12 headbasket (or choice of dual layer)? Thanks

Or you deal with someone new who themselves deal with the original factory
a friend of a friend went to investigate setting up a product line , and had three meetings
with different grps who all took them to the same factory each time claiming a relative owned it ,
they gave up the business idea .

I was waiting for the baskets with the chrome rim , is that an idea of the past ?

okgb said:
Or you deal with someone new who themselves deal with the original factory
a friend of a friend went to investigate setting up a product line , and had three meetings
with different grps who all took them to the same factory each time claiming a relative owned it ,
they gave up the business idea .

I was waiting for the baskets with the chrome rim , is that an idea of the past ?

I am dealing directly with a primary factory now.  I like to keep working with companies that can get things done and deliver as agreed reliably.  So if these guys had come through for me I would have stayed with them for the c12 headbaskets. 

All headbaskets for the ht-11a that I am bringing in are polished nickel plated.  The sample pictured is unfinished brass for the type 3 headbasket.

chunger said:
Mesh sample materials for the Gen 2 SYT-5 bodies have been received by my associate in China, so I am hoping a large production run of the gen 2 bodies will move forward quickly as all other aspects of the prototype were spot on.  Headbasket dimensions were compatible with first generation syt-5 microphones, so I will be ordering spares for people to purchase separately if they want to upgrade first generation bodies to the new headbasket.  I will also order spare microphone tubes for people who have mis-marked bodies on the pattern switch. 

Thanks for offering the tubes and head baskets, I'll be ordering two of each, since I have some original mismarked bodies. I'll also be ordering 2 to 4 gen 2 body kits.
Thanks for keeping up the hard work!

Chad

Ps. I just ordered a t14 and a c12 head basket, looking forward to finishing my c12!

Hmmm. . . apparently another vendor on forum is attempting to sell my headbaskets now.    :mad:

Likely sourced from Alctron because unfortunately, the microphone company I solicited originally to develop the headbasket shares the same metal sub-contractor as Alctron (I was unaware of this at the time).  I was hoping this would not happen so quickly, but such are the dangers of doing business in China.

Fortunately, I have recovered the original tooling that I paid a significant amount of money for and the factory will be unable to produce further copies at low volume to other customers without re-tooling.  But, once your design gets out in China, it's a free-for-all.  I am transferring tooling and production to a more secure factory where I actually have eyes on the ground. . .and, hopefully, they will be able to get the bend in the metal where the hoop meets the base correct in the next production run and improve the finish quality as well as mesh alignment on the single-layer headbaskets.

Well, I am confident quality improvements and pricing improvements on all of the 2nd Gen. products will be VERY tough to compete with.  Definitely worth the wait in regards to the extra development time needed to bring them online.

What a real bummer Chunger.  I'm sure most of the guys here know who did the legwork and would be loyal to you for having done that.

Also, any word on what it might cost to get a couple of Alctron srm100s ontp the next boat?

Updating specs for the rev. 2 GT-2B bodies.  I decided to go to a 60mm body tube, 3 rail 90 degree frame, and a much closer U47-type headbasket configuration.  I was a little bit unhappy that the tube length ended up a bit longer than the original U47 FET shorty body to my eye, but I thought it was important to fit the mk47, FET47, M49, and other currently available kits inside of this body because I think it will be the most economical option for many builders.  New pcb's will be able to utilize keystone L-brackets.  I have spaced frame rail holes at hopefully a convenient 20mm interval.

p1719383658-6.jpg

The internal spacing of the rails becomes wider than the original gt-2b and many PCB's are based on that design, so my solution is to make adapter brackets so that all currently available gt-2b kits will drop right in with no additional metalwork and a very clean install.  Also, poctop requested an additional mounting point integrated into the new mic for his sub-PCB that mounts AMI T49 transformers, so that extra set of holes 24.5mm below the original 2 holes has been integrated into the adapter bracket per his request.

p1748123944-5.jpg

I plan to use a screw-on type shockmount for this microphone, and it should be cross-compatible with the SYT-5 shock mount, so hopefully this will make studio life simpler for people who are building up their kit.  Possible future features/versions of this body:

1.  slotted tube for switch mounting
2.  128mm tube length version for folks who like the vintage short U47 look
3.  Pre-drilled/tapped holes in the base for surface-mount resistor (for mk47 kit)

Category 5 said:
Also, any word on what it might cost to get a couple of Alctron srm100s ontp the next boat?

On my next order from Alctron, I will bring in a small amount of these ribbon microphones to test the waters. . . small meaning 10-20 units of a few models. . . people who want to do some experimentation and development on these bodies will have a chance to get hands-on.  I'm sure cost will be quite reasonable.  If some of these prove effective and popular, I can order serious quantity in subsequent shipments.

Received confirmation today that tooling for C12 headbaskets is physically in my associate's possession in China. . . hopefully this will deter poaching for a little while depending on how many extras the factory pressed out before they sent off the tooling  :eek:  At any rate, my tooling is on its way to another metal factory where controls are tighter.

Full speed ahead.  I'm really pressing to get these gen. 2 GT-2B and SYT-5 bodies finalized and available.  They are shaping up to be fantastic.  The ball is now in the factory's court because they have all of the specs and details.  I anticipate some lively communications in the next couple of weeks to clarify and finalize the prototypes.

HT-11A's, 35mm K67 type capsules, and capsule mounts are crossing the ocean now.

Updating specs for the rev. 2 GT-2B bodies.  I decided to go to a 60mm body tube, 3 rail 90 degree frame, and a much closer U47-type headbasket configuration.  I was a little bit unhappy that the tube length ended up a bit longer than the original U47 FET shorty body to my eye, but I thought it was important to fit the mk47, FET47, M49, and other currently available kits inside of this body because I think it will be the most economical option for many builders.

Yep, this is going to be a pretty versatile body. Could become a classic for the DIY world even.
Will there be a polished nickel ("chrome") headbasket and bottom bell, or perhaps an option for that? I kinda like that look on the Stellar mics. Also, it would look better if builders decide to paint the sleeves (handy if there are multiple flavors inside). Less true to a U47 body maybe, but it ain't that (nor an M49) anyway.

Oh, and now that the GT-2B body is widened, will the headbasket of the SYT-5 fit on it (and vice versa)? Talk about versatility.

Sorry if any of this was already covered. There's quite a bit of info here.

Anyway, thanks again for the efforts.

Hi Chunger,

Talking about ribbons, If you happen to have a few RM-21 i would take two!

Regards,

Pierre

If there are any SRM -100's ( stereo ribbon) in the batch,
I'll take two.
I know there was talk about slimming down the accessories on the new mic kits. Info.
Any prices yet?

I don't want to guarantee anything on pricing at this point, but I aim to make a significant price drop on Gen. 2 bodies.  This is possible because I bypass the microphone OEM and deal directly with the metal factory and buying only the necessary parts.  I need to wait and see before nailing down pricing because I am adding features and this makes the build a bit more complex for the factory but I think these details are important to get right.

The way I see it, the pricing is going to determine if people will see these as "novel one-off" projects or affordable tools that they can outfit their entire studio with, experiment and develop new kits, and build stereo pairs, etc.  I want these to be a no-brainer value wise for the DIY'er.  If I can get the cost in line, I think these have a good chance of becoming go-to donors for many current and future projects.

Shipping overseas can be a lot cheaper if I do not include the whole kit, so I'm planning to make bulky accessory items like cases optional.  These details are still being ironed out.  I need prototypes in hand before I am able to have cases made.  I'm also exploring ways to streamline the cases (multiple mics in one case for example). . . perhaps cases formed to store mics in their shockmounts to save space.  I'm thinking through a lot of these variables with shipping cost in mind.  I will have to talk to the case factory guys to see if some of these ideas are possible like one case with interchangeable foam inserts for STY-5, GT-2B, or HT-11A so a customer can order say, 2 mics of whatever type they desire and have them shipped in a single case.  The PSU is another concern.  Collectivecases.com makes a nice psu enclosure that lots of people are using, but a case would be pretty bulky if I make a slot for that psu.  Domestic shipping wouldn't be a problem, but international I'm not sure.

Still waiting to hear about those 87ish bodies.  But the ones that you showed the drawings up above... might have to snag a pair of those as well lol.

sr1200 said:
Still waiting to hear about those 87ish bodies.  But the ones that you showed the drawings up above... might have to snag a pair of those as well lol.

SYT-5 bodies are much further along in development.  Photos of the latest prototype are here on thread.  Once the mesh is sorted out, those will go into production.

Hi Chunger,

I'd love to get a pair of the gen. 2 SYT-5 kits when they become available.  Could you sign me up on the waiting list?  Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back