Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 samples have been completed by the factory.  I should have news (good or bad) within the next 2 days.

- 2nd gen syt-5 body
- 2nd gen gt-2b body
- new production HT-11A custom headbaskets

Good, bad, and no news from the factory. . .

It looks like they are not nearly as far along as they let on in my last communications.  I receive a few pictures of some components in progress for the gen 2 GT-2B. . . factory was moving in the wrong direction with some of the parts, so I've had a flurry of emails back and forth. 

I guess in a way, I am glad they sent preliminary photos because otherwise, I would not have known I need to make more detailed models and dimensioned drawings.  Usually, if the factory has a certain "standard" way they like to make things, it's easier to let them iron out the fine details, but they were about to make the internal rail system wrong and that would have jeopardized a lot of subsequent things.  So, I've had my head in the computer screen furiously modeling.  I'm not particularly expert at CAD, so it's a best effort sort of deal.

p800700975-4.jpg

gen 2 SYT-5 is much closer because essentially all I asked them to do is change the headbasket mesh material from the prototype.  But, I have not seen a photo of the actual headbasket with the actual mesh, so I am hoping it's not vapor.  My rep tells me they are making tooling for bending and drilling the frame rails for mass production (the previous sample had rails made from machined brass for function verification).  All I need is to see a picture of the new mesh material on the gen2 SYT-5 body and I will immediately pull the trigger on a large production run.

The GT-2B may lag a little bit behind, but I will not wait for both models to be finalized to start making SYT-5 and make a cargo shipment to me.  If only the SYT-5 is ready to roll, I will take delivery of that model immediately.  I know many people have been waiting a long time for these.

Hey Chunger,
Are the 2nd gen gt-2b body's identical to a U-47 body ie head basket dimensions etc? or just similar? I been thinking about an equinox body but might wait for yours.
Great work BTW!! 8)

The latest photo provided by the Chinese factory for SYT-5 gen 2 headbasket had updated mesh materials, but outer layer was diagonal (45 degrees) instead of straight (90 degrees).  I have requested a corrected sample.  I will not move forward with production until I see the mesh is executed correctly with correct materials.  Sometimes dealing with a busy factory can be infuriating.

Hey Chunger.  Are you planning to or able to get the u47 style power supplies like mica dome is offering?  Also was curious if your upcoming pcb would be usable with the io audio kit.  Obviously the 105v would be easy enough to dial in but what about pattern and bias? 

Really looking forward to seeing the gt-2b finalized and in stock!

Category 5 said:
Hey Chunger.  Are you planning to or able to get the u47 style power supplies like mica dome is offering?  Also was curious if your upcoming pcb would be usable with the io audio kit.  Obviously the 105v would be easy enough to dial in but what about pattern and bias? 

Really looking forward to seeing the gt-2b finalized and in stock!

Are you talking about the larger Alctron PSU? 

p1396522388-4.jpg

I have looked into it.  I can get them, but have not had time to work with Matador and develop any plan and PCB to execute the original U47 105V PSU inside that case.  I am fairly sure the box dimensions are big enough to hold everything, but Dan's cases have been working well so far for everyone to this point.  Also, the price was not as favorable as I would like to make it a "no brainer".

As for the upcoming regulated PSU, I am fairly certain it can be tweaked to provide 105V B+, but the question is if the stock Chinese power transformer can handle the load as the heater is also supplied by the B+ in U47.  With such a small package in the "normal" smaller psu case it is difficult (pretty much impossible) to swap a large part like a transformer.  I have not been able to get specs for the transformer used from the microphone OEM companies.  If I dig deeper and locate the source for the part, I may be able to buy a batch spec'd to different voltage that would be suitable for the application.  We will have to test the transformer to see where its limits are.

Category 5 said:
Yep.  That's the one.  Looks cool, and was thinking it could be a good starting point for the U47 builds.

Shoot me an email.  I have a couple samples of these in my personal stash along with cases and shock mounts that you might need for the build, but I'm not officially stocking them.

Movement on the STY-5 mic bodies.  I've told the factory to prepare to make a large production run of bodies to put a fire under them to get that headbasket right. . . aaaaannnnnnd. . . it's inside out, but I think we have the right materials happening here according to the sample that I sent.  And, the factory is being responsive. . . the previous sample was not inside out, but the outside was at a 45 degree orientation instead of straight.  Frustrating, but we are moving forward and now it is clear they are using a proper 3 layer material setup.

p968719374-5.jpg

Once I see a correct headbasket photo, I pull the trigger and we go into production run.  They will also mail me the sample for final verification, but that usually only takes 2 days from China to me by air so that will be quick.  There should be plenty of available units for everyone who wants one and remain in stock for some time.  This will be a really big order.

Per my request, the base has been modified to expose more thread and we will be using an M24 threaded shock mount.

p813184871-4.jpg

p676718465-5.jpg

We are very close on this.

chunger said:
Movement on the STY-5 mic bodies.  I've told the factory to prepare to make a large production run of bodies to put a fire under them to get that headbasket right. . . aaaaannnnnnd. . . it's inside out, but I think we have the right materials happening here according to the sample that I sent.  And, the factory is being responsive. . . the previous sample was not inside out, but the outside was at a 45 degree orientation instead of straight.  Frustrating, but we are moving forward and now it is clear they are using a proper 3 layer material setup.

p968719374-5.jpg

Once I see a correct headbasket photo, I pull the trigger and we go into production run.  They will also mail me the sample for final verification, but that usually only takes 2 days from China to me by air so that will be quick.  There should be plenty of available units for everyone who wants one and remain in stock for some time.  This will be a really big order.

Per my request, the base has been modified to expose more thread and we will be using an M24 threaded shock mount.

p813184871-4.jpg

p676718465-5.jpg

We are very close on this.

i intentionaly quoted this post to like it twice  :),
Great Work Chunger , can't wait to have one in my hand.
Best, Dany,

Hi chunger, I have a few questions :

- Concerning the gen 2 GT-2B, will the Cinemag CM-13101 fit better inside ? If so, the gen2 is closer too the original 47fet in size (bigger) ?

- On the gen 2 STY-5 what are the differences ? Closer matching headbasket ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !  :)

Steph.

Steph.B said:
Hi chunger, I have a few questions :

- Concerning the gen 2 GT-2B, will the Cinemag CM-13101 fit better inside ? If so, the gen2 is closer too the original 47fet in size (bigger) ?

- On the gen 2 STY-5 what are the differences ? Closer matching headbasket ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !  :)

Steph.

The spec sheet says the CM-13101 is 39mm wide. . . the gen 2 GT2B body has 49mm inside diameter at the base (including the rails, so it should fit.  I will have to go back and measure poctop's PCB length to verify if there is space at the bottom for the transformer, but from what I remember with the AMI T49 adapter board and transformer orientation, it should fit.  This is a 60mm tube, so it is the best case scenario when it comes to fitting things inside.

Steph.B said:
Thanks !

Now I need to sell my GT-2B and STY5 first gen... Damn you !  ;D

You should be able to just retrofit the 1st gen syt5 with a gen2 headbasket and the rest of the cosmetic differences will be quite minor.  The gt2b however will be a different microphone altogether.

I've been a CAD monkey lately working on the GT-2B body.  The Chinese factory doesn't seem to be "getting it" on this mic for some reason.  Construction methodology is not what this particular factory likes.  I am pushing to finish my full set of dimensioned drawings for it and then submitting it to a shop here in the US to prototype.  Then, send prototype to China.  At any rate. . .

Here's me trying to account for all the various capsule mounting schemes.  Beesneez uses 2 screws aligned front/back.  The "normal" rubber chinese mount uses 2 screws aligned side to side same spacing.  Theirsch uses a center screw hole.  My plastic "domed" mounts require threaded M2 holes oriented side to side but wider along with wire pass-through holes going through the domed section.  I think this should allow mounting of darn near any capsule mount though.

p881085737-4.jpg

Threads and intersecting curved geometries are kindof a pain in Sketchup, but we're learning.  These are not "true" threads.  Just horizontal ridges.  Next time I'll figure out how to coil like real screw threads.  This was good enough to get the point across.  Can't use the Sketchup files for tool paths anyways.

p696170752-4.jpg

p767938866-4.jpg

Getting closer piece by piece.

Hi Chunger

...while you're on capsule mounting options:

I am in the process of ordering a Thiersch Blue Line Capsule and am wondering which capsule holder height to order to suit the upcoming GT-2B bodies?

I guess it would be good to get the capsule at the correct U47 height...

Thiersch offers 3 different heights for their STS 7 Capsule holders:

STS 7 a - 58mm
STS 7 b - 55mm
STS 7 c - 52mm

I assume these heights are referring to the top of the capsule...

From what I can gather the U47 had a capsule centre 45mm above the mounting plate...in this case the 58mm mount seems correct.

How does the GT-2B headbasket/Mounting plate relative heights/dimensions match up to the original? Will the 58mm mount to give a 45mm centre be correct here too?

A spacer can always be easily constructed if the capsule is too low, but I don't want to go too high!

Thanks.

Regards

Wayne.

chunger, do you anticipate having the gt-2b's in stock by say the new year? I have a session coming up in jan that I would really love to use my (presently naked) mk47 on.

teacat said:
chunger, do you anticipate having the gt-2b's in stock by say the new year? I have a session coming up in jan that I would really love to use my (presently naked) mk47 on.

Hi Teacat,

Please email me.  I have a sample body solution in my inventory that might interest you but I am not planning to carry this particular mic.  If you are on a tight timeline, I can offer you one of these.

Back