Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Category 5 said:
Matador and Chunger, you guys are animals!  lol  When can I get this new PSU design? Also, how goes it with the rumored 251?  tell me you guys figured out how to get the switching into the mic instead of the PSU ;)

Poctop recently released an ELA design that utilizes relays. . . So practically speaking, it switches in the mic.  I honestly consider the 9 pattern setup with intermediate steps to be a feature as opposed to a liability in practical use.  I guess it is argued that the ELA's polarizing scheme is more "pure" in each of its 3 patterns but you cannot simply dial in just a hair of "room" as easily as with the 9 pattern.

That being said,  I still fully plan to document the ELA conversion on our standard C12 pcb and psu soon now that I have organized and stocked the parts kits for that configuration. 

There are other pressing items that require testing, organization, and design that are ahead of this, but my inclination is to mod the body to impliment the required 3p3t switch for pattern switching at the mic.

I think a test may be in order to compare direct 3 pattern switching against the 9 pattern polarizing scheme.  The priblem is poctop's layout is so different that it would be very difficult to test with the same components.  And, as I discovered with my floated hiZ testing, variations in critical components make it difficult to make solid conclusions.

chrispsound said:
Do the 35mm K67 capsules you offer fit in the HT-11A custom head-baskets you offer?  The Cinemag cm-2510 is a great transformer  to use/experiment with submini's and fets, any chance of stocking those?  Thanks, chrisP
To answer myself, The 35mm K67 capsule fits nicely into the tall custom headbasket that Studio 939 offers (for those people not building a C12 into the HT-11A).  I have not tried to fit it inside the shorter headbasket but ASSuming it will fit as well.  Thanks, ChrisP

chunger said:
Category 5 said:
Matador and Chunger, you guys are animals!  lol  When can I get this new PSU design? Also, how goes it with the rumored 251?  tell me you guys figured out how to get the switching into the mic instead of the PSU ;)

Poctop recently released an ELA design that utilizes relays. . . So practically speaking, it switches in the mic.  I honestly consider the 9 pattern setup with intermediate steps to be a feature as opposed to a liability in practical use.  I guess it is argued that the ELA's polarizing scheme is more "pure" in each of its 3 patterns but you cannot simply dial in just a hair of "room" as easily as with the 9 pattern.

That being said,  I still fully plan to document the ELA conversion on our standard C12 pcb and psu soon now that I have organized and stocked the parts kits for that configuration. 

There are other pressing items that require testing, organization, and design that are ahead of this, but my inclination is to mod the body to impliment the required 3p3t switch for pattern switching at the mic.

I think a test may be in order to compare direct 3 pattern switching against the 9 pattern polarizing scheme.  The priblem is poctop's layout is so different that it would be very difficult to test with the same components.  And, as I discovered with my floated hiZ testing, variations in critical components make it difficult to make solid conclusions.

I'll be down for and ELA with the 9 patterns on the PSU as soon as you guys get it going.  ;)

Hi Chunger...

Do you have a date in sight for the 2nd Gen GT-2B bodies to be in stock?

I gather they have been something of a saga for you to develop, all your hard work is appreciated!

Thanks

Wayne

Chunger, "you da man" thanks for making this stuff happen.  I am loving my C12 headbaskets.  8)

metacarple said:
Hi!

Any ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type) microphone body kit's in stock?

None in stock. . . you are monitoring the correct thread though for updates.  They are being built right now.  The order is large, but the factory has this as a priority project.  I'm hoping the batch will be completed soon.

I'm in for 1 x Alctron HT-11A (c12-type)  $160
              2 x ShuaiYin SYT-5 (U67/87 type)  $145 - without caps

Martin

chunger said:
None in stock. . . you are monitoring the correct thread though for updates.  They are being built right now.  The order is large, but the factory has this as a priority project.  I'm hoping the batch will be completed soon.

I had a massive epic fail with my body mics as they don't fit the C12 design, so I know have all the parts but no body to put them into.

So If you have any spare, or you get the HT11a bodies order in soon I will be taking...

dmnieto said:
chunger said:

I had a massive epic fail with my body mics as they don't fit the C12 design, so I know have all the parts but no body to put them into.

So If you have any spare, or you get the HT11a bodies order in soon I will be taking...

These are ordered but there have been delays from the factory.  They are usually quite timely but this time was strange.  If you need an alternate, the apex 460 or carvin ctm100 work well.

Here are some teaser pics of the new "Universal" regulated tube power supply:

IMG_20140212_091943.jpg

IMG_20140212_092005.jpg

IMG_20140212_092016.jpg

IMG_20140212_092026.jpg

I blew my last TL783 regulator and forgot to replace my supply of heatsinks, so I can only do limited testing right now.

Heater Supply - tested that I can adjust between 4.7V and about 11.8V.  The maximum is really limited by the 9.5V AC secondaries of the stock Alctron transformer, so if you plan on reusing it it will only do parallel heaters.  I did manage to sustain over 700mA load so this shouldn't be an issue.  Those wanting to do series heaters will need to find a different transformer. 

This heater supply is fully isolated from ground:  hence you can do positive or negative heater supplies by tying one of either sides of H+ or H- to ground.  For stock positive supplies you tie H- to ground, and for negative you tie H+.  This makes this compatible with U47-like projects.

Bias Supply - This is cap coupled from the heater AC supply so it is fully isolated as well.  It is adjustable from 0V down to -2.5V.  If you want more negative adjustment it's a simple resistor change.  I managed to pull over 50mA from this supply so it is more than enough for bias duties.  Unlike the C12 design, this one is fully regulated, so it is a true fixed bias supply.

B+ - this will have to wait until my next Mouser order. ;)  The design is meant to be adjustable from approximately 90V up to about 250V (operation below 120V requires a resistor change). I'm not sure of the VA spec of the 200V secondary on the Alctron PSU, but I would guess this should be good to about 10mA or so, which is enough to drive a few tube gain stages, even for higher current tubes like 12AT7's.  I wanted this to also be compatible with stock CCDA stages so this should be plenty for that purpose.

This B+ supply is also fully regulated, so once set for a target voltage it should stick even with tube swaps.

Sweet.  So looks like this would work for Max's 47 mk47 then!  When can we have it?  Chunger going to offer full kits of just the psu?

Not sure.  I should have the rest of the parts by early next week, and soldering/testing should only take a few hours.  Then I need to ship some boards + BOM's to Chunger so he can do his build thread magic.  We also need to get a sample in to the studio so we can evaluate if there are any sonic variations.

It would probably be useful to gauge the interest level someplace (perhaps a new interest thread) before deciding how to proceed.

The recent Alctron order includes 50 units of "loose" power supplies so yes, I envision the power supply being compatible with many other DIY projects and as such, it would be a benefit to the collective community to have a nice, complete kit with thorough build documentation available.  And as usual, everything will be available "a la carte" as well because this is quite a common PSU package.  I am also discussing what values of custom transformers to bring in as a starting point to cover a variety of projects.

First things first though.  Let's see how the PSU performs "in the wild".

UPDATE:

SYT-5's still in production. . . no more major news.  The factory is back to business and I will get confirmation of the headbasket meshing when that phase is under way.

New ETA for completion of the updated Alctron order is 40-60 days.  HT-11A, Loose PSU's, and 1st gen GT-2B bodies are included in that order.  Pricing should drop by a significant margin on Alctron donor bodies.

The parts came in to finish my universal PSU prototype.  I'll start an interest thread shortly where I can post some build pics, and (hopefully) some sound sample comparisons.

looking good!  ;D Will the heater supply be quiet/clean enough to positive bias the cathode U47 style?

Update:  SYT-5 bodies almost ready for plating.  I am nervous that I have not received photo confirmation of the correct meshing, but my associate assures me he will personally Q/C the headbaskets on the factory floor and they will not ship unless correct.

All other products are on track for a late march completion date.

Latest posts

Back