Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melodeath00 said:
Finally I'll be able to begin my U67! I've had the tube for months haha

The SYT-5 bodies are not yet completed.  The final problems have however been resolved and they are in full production.  Should be completed in the next couple weeks I hope.

That will be another really big cargo shipment.

Hi Chunger,

Are the c12 type microphones protected in case one accidentally engages phantom power?. I know alot of tube mics have a way they are wired to protect them from being destroyed in the event that phantom power is accidentally engaged etc. Please enlighten me on this issue as I am new to all this. Thanks for your input in advance and I will be waiting to place orders for 2 c12 complete kits.

chunger said:
Melodeath00 said:
Finally I'll be able to begin my U67! I've had the tube for months haha

The SYT-5 bodies are not yet completed.  The final problems have however been resolved and they are in full production.  Should be completed in the next couple weeks I hope.

That will be another really big cargo shipment.

I was just happy they got the 3-layer correct finally  :)

Did you run into more problems? I thought they were estimating May 10 for completion in your last message. Anyway, great work!

iambeatmenace said:
Are the c12 type microphones protected in case one accidentally engages phantom power?.

*EDIT...I will let Matador explain in more technical terms below...

...most tube mics require their own dedicated power-supply that functions between the preamp and the microphone...in my experience using tube mics with dedicated power-supplies, accidently engaging phantom-power has never been an issue...

iambeatmenace said:
Hi Chunger,

Are the c12 type microphones protected in case one accidentally engages phantom power?. I know alot of tube mics have a way they are wired to protect them from being destroyed in the event that phantom power is accidentally engaged etc. Please enlighten me on this issue as I am new to all this. Thanks for your input in advance and I will be waiting to place orders for 2 c12 complete kits.

Phantom power will enter the PSU, and travel directly to the 7-pin connector and then to the microphone.

The transformer secondary is completely isolated and does not interact with any of the circuits, so there's nowhere for any DC current to flow.

In short:  it won't harm anything.

Thanks Matador!. You guys sure are a blessing! I intend to stock my new studio with at least one of your mics and definitely two of the c12s!. Keep up the good work guys!.

Hi chunger,

have you been at the customs warehouse meanwhile ?
Hopefully didn´t run into any probs ?

I can´t wait for the all the stuff to appear on your website.
Willl you ever involve in production of U47 bodies ?

Yes,  I took a step back from the short body U47 because the Chinese factory was having enough trouble getting the gen. 2 SYT-5 body to my spec. and I decided to focus in on one item at a time to get right.

Now that the gen 2 SYT-5 seems to be on track, I can re-visit my short body U47.  I will likely prototype it in the US so the Chinese factory can have a reference sample that is 100% correct.  Once the short body variant is finished, it is a very trivial task to lengthen the frame rails, and body tube to do the mid-length U47 body.  I do not think anyone is doing that version currently. 

I am already well past the point of no return on development for a U47 variant.  It will just take some time to get right.  Once all of the details are ironed out though, I should be able to hit a good price-point and volume to keep them in stock perpetually.

In the meantime, I've been able to procure the 1st Gen GT-2B donor bodies at a very good price so I think I will continue to stock that item for the DIY value.

flatresponse said:
That sounds like a well conceived plan.
I´m planing on one more pair of U47 replica and need a proper body for it.

When will the GT-2B donor body be available ?
Will you have PSU casings as well ?

The GT-2B bodies are on the boat currently, so they should be available quite soon.  PSU casings are still supplied by Dan here on the forum.  http://www.collectivecases.com.  We are currently prototyping a turn-key U47 PSU in collaboration with ioaudio with the aim of releasing a complete, all-inclusive mk47 kit.  I already have the mk47 kits in stock.

Several people on forum have generously contributed time and significant energy towards the project. . . ioaudio, dandeurloo, Matador, and  myself.  If all goes well, hopefully, we will see a few more "GroupDIY Microphone Alliance" releases in the future.

chunger said:
Several people on forum have generously contributed time and significant energy towards the project. . . ioaudio, dandeurloo, Matador, and  myself.  If all goes well, hopefully, we will see a few more "GroupDIY Microphone Alliance" releases in the future.

Wish I had the engineering prowess to help you guys with prototyping and design but my background is testing and troubleshooting. More power to you guys that stayed an extra semester in college!  ;D

My background in addition to audio engineering and production is Design and Motion graphics. I do websites as well as ultra-realistic 3d renders as well. I will be open to contribute in anyway to support you guys for free! Keep up the good work Danny, Chunger, Matador etc. You guys are awesome!

reginator said:
Wish I had the engineering prowess to help you guys with prototyping and design but my background is testing and troubleshooting. More power to you guys that stayed an extra semester in college!  ;D

An extra semester?  I'm at 31 extra semesters and counting. :D

UPDATE:  Alctron shipment is scheduled to land 5/28.  After that, we will have to clear customs and then I will pick up at the warehouse.

SYT-5 microphone production run has been completed.  We are now waiting for small parts (switch pcb standoffs, switches, capsule mounts, XLR inserts, etc.).  When those parts come in, I will receive 3 samples via air mail for verification before the batch goes to cargo freight.  If all goes well, 1 of these samples will go directly to ioaudio in Austria for very exciting product development :)  1 of the samples will go to Matador for very exciting product development, and one of the sample will get photographed for the webstore  ;D

Back