Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all goes well, 1 of these samples will go directly to ioaudio in Austria for very exciting product development :)  1 of the samples will go to Matador for very exciting product development, and one of the sample will get photographed for the webstore  ;D

???

"All I need is one mic"

Can't wait for the SYT-5 Gen 2..
Also, would like to put this Electrical Engineering degree to use finally. :)

chunger said:
UPDATE:  Alctron shipment is scheduled to land 5/28.  After that, we will have to clear customs and then I will pick up at the warehouse.

SYT-5 microphone production run has been completed.  We are now waiting for small parts (switch pcb standoffs, switches, capsule mounts, XLR inserts, etc.).  When those parts come in, I will receive 3 samples via air mail for verification before the batch goes to cargo freight.  If all goes well, 1 of these samples will go directly to ioaudio in Austria for very exciting product development :)  1 of the samples will go to Matador for very exciting product development, and one of the sample will get photographed for the webstore  ;D

Please tell me that the original Ioaudio u67 transformer and poctop pcb will fit these new bodies! I have been sitting on a set for over a year now waiting eagerly for the release of the new bodies :)

Yes.  A sample of poctop's PCB was sent to China to confirm fit in the development of this body.  That board is guaranteed to fit the frame rails.

Is the Alctron HT-11A (c12-type) tube microphone $160 - complete microphone kit still available ?

Hey there, was wondering if any of the clone kits are still available for purchase?
Also was wondering if anything else is need to build the u47/67/87 kits? Would they come with the power supply, capsule and tubes? Thanks! Really love the quality of the photos you posted as well :)

I am interested in a body for a Alcron GT-2B body for a d47-FET build. Is there a pre-order or anything for the batch in customs? Hopefully they aren't already sold out!  ;D

UPDATE:  The current shipment from China has been subject to "intensive exam" and is delayed in customs.

SYT-5 samples are in the mail heading my way via air mail.  Everything looks ok according to photos I have received with 3 exceptions:

1) the threaded base piece is much longer than expected because the factory made an alteration to accommodate the new bottom threaded shock mount.  I do not think I will be able to change this as all of the base pieces have already been machined and plated and I do not want to further delay shipment of the microphones.  I will have new base pieces made with shorter threading and make those available as a separate item.

2) the capsule mount that I requested was not used.  My reason for requesting the specific capsule mount was the ease of raising the capsule height with a 3M hex standoff by 8mm to better center the capsule in the headbasket.  The one used in the microphones is the "normal" rubber mount.  I will look into having plexiglass spacers made to raise the rubber-type capsule mount.

3) the figure 8 marking on the tube was rotated 90 degrees.  The aesthetic is actually not bad at all, but it is not the way I specified the markings.  The most important thing though is the pattern markings are in the correct positions with Cardioid in the center position.

Currently, 300 microphone bodies are completed and 100 headbaskets.  Once I confirm frame rail dimensions and that all current PCB's fit inside the new body, we will move quickly to arrange cargo freight for the shipment.

chunger said:
SYT-5 samples are in the mail heading my way via air mail.  Everything looks ok according to photos I have received with 3 exceptions:

1) the threaded base piece is much longer than expected because the factory made an alteration to accommodate the new bottom threaded shock mount.  I do not think I will be able to change this as all of the base pieces have already been machined and plated and I do not want to further delay shipment of the microphones.  I will have new base pieces made with shorter threading and make those available as a separate item.

Hi Chung,

Just a question: If us mic builders can't use the base piece (that is what I am gathering?) and you have to have new base pieces made anyway (we will have to wait anyway, which is OK at least for me), couldn't you just have the factory correct the problem? Regardless of the machining and plating for these base pieces, isn't the problem due to the factory not following your spec?

Please clarify.

Cheers,
Chris

fazeka said:
chunger said:

Hi Chung,

Just a question: If us mic builders can't use the base piece (that is what I am gathering?) and you have to have new base pieces made anyway (we will have to wait anyway, which is OK at least for me), couldn't you just have the factory correct the problem? Regardless of the machining and plating for these base pieces, isn't the problem due to the factory not following your spec?

Please clarify.

Cheers,
Chris

The base piece in it's current "longer than expected" configuration is 100% functional and actually looks fine when attached to the threaded shock mount.  The reason I am not pushing further at this point is people have been waiting a VERY long time for these bodies, and I feel obligated to make them available right away as long as all of the function-critical details are ok.

I have pushed this factory through quite a few iterations. .. MANY more than I would have been able to with Alctron particularly on the mesh specifications.  What appear to be very simple specifications or alterations are not easy to get pushed all the way through to the factory floor to get done correctly.  If I press for a fix right now, they may stall me for another month or 3 before I get the part that I really need and who knows what other specifications might get "broken" in the meantime when they forget what the original specs were supposed to be.

So, I've decided to verify all other parameters for now and request the corrected part be manufactured separately.

Hi Chunger

I am amazed at what you have had to go through to make this happen.

Thank you.

If there are any issues with the plexiglass spacers for the capsule holder I would be happy to 3D print them for the community out of either nylon or abs.

Cheers
Mac

chunger said:
The base piece in it's current "longer than expected" configuration is 100% functional and actually looks fine when attached to the threaded shock mount.  The reason I am not pushing further at this point is people have been waiting a VERY long time for these bodies, and I feel obligated to make them available right away as long as all of the function-critical details are ok.

I have pushed this factory through quite a few iterations. .. MANY more than I would have been able to with Alctron particularly on the mesh specifications.  What appear to be very simple specifications or alterations are not easy to get pushed all the way through to the factory floor to get done correctly.  If I press for a fix right now, they may stall me for another month or 3 before I get the part that I really need and who knows what other specifications might get "broken" in the meantime when they forget what the original specs were supposed to be.

So, I've decided to verify all other parameters for now and request the corrected part be manufactured separately.

...I have to commend Chung for his diligence in getting these new bodies tooled up and manufactured...it's no easy task from an entirely different continent...having seen pics of the new SYT-5 body both in and out of the shockmount, while I noticed the base was extended, I assumed it was to allow for a more secure fitment to the new base-mounted shockmount...didn't really appear an issue until you now mentioned it...otherwise the new bodies look excellent...worth the wait!...

chunger said:
OK, chung. Thanks for the clarification. Sounds good!

Cheers,
Chris

Patiently waiting. :)  Chunger are you going to be offering the C12 and U87 kits as a complete kit with the capsules and everything, or should I be looking to source those parts elsewhere? 

...funny how Alctron added the MK47 to their OEM tube mic offerings...well now they've incorporated what appears to be Chung's early C12-style headbasket on their latest offering...no need to do their own R&D for new products when they've got the DIY community to inspire them!  ;)

Attachments

• 10366027_772230532809514_5933449187600114546_n.jpg
    10366027_772230532809514_5933449187600114546_n.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 134
Back