Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ioaudio mk47 kits now available in the US from the webstore.  European and international customers can still order directly from ioaudio based in Austria.  We are prototyping an all-inclusive power supply solution for this kit and will update with new parts as they come online.  For now, we have the GT-2B body and mk47 kits as provided by max.

Hey Chunger that great news about the power supply but it's a little too late for me. I'm already building your point-to-point version with the Hammond enclosure for my MK47. However I'll keep it in mind for a future build.  ;)

reginator said:
Hey Chunger that great news about the power supply but it's a little too late for me. I'm already building your point-to-point version with the Hammond enclosure for my MK47. However I'll keep it in mind for a future build.  ;)

Point to point is the fun way to go!  We're basing the PSU kit  on Dan Deurloo's PSU enclosure and I believe he will have all the PCB and parts mounting points pre-drilled.  All it will do is save wiring time and the effort of drilling out enclosures.  Plus a fixed BOM is sometimes helpful.  Matador spec'd the parts very robust.  The B+ should be able to be grounded and the PSU still remain within temperature spec indefinitely.

chunger said:
ioaudio mk47 kits now available in the US from the webstore.  European and international customers can still order directly from ioaudio based in Austria.  We are prototyping an all-inclusive power supply solution for this kit and will update with new parts as they come online.  For now, we have the GT-2B body and mk47 kits as provided by max.

Is this the universal power supply or just for the mk47?

UPDATE:

Prototype PCB's have arrived for the MK47 PSU. . . waiting for BOM parts to build it up and confirm.  I don't think there will be any surprises here.

p971654610-4.jpg

The Gen 2 SYT-5 microphone is here. . . I think I will need to reduce the threaded base piece by 6mm and/or lengthen the end cap, but it is 100% functional and fits well on the new shock mount configuration.  Waiting for shock mounts to be finished now.

p703531392-4.jpg

p880252349-4.jpg

quick question. what are the advantages of Matador's MK47 PSU disign compared to the classic PSU design that Zayance offers?

useme2305 said:
quick question. what are the advantages of Matador's MK47 PSU disign compared to the classic PSU design that Zayance offers?

The schematics come from IOAudio, so electrically they are very similar.  My changes:

1) More compact: the finished size is 3.6" square
2) I used more compact TO-220 resistors which have MUCH higher power dissipation capabilities.  Those resistors in combination with the Aavid Thermalloy heatsinks (also compact) means that the resistor temps can be managed without active airflow.  The resistors are rated to 20W and the heatsinks are rated at 7.5 degrees C/W.  This means that each resistor can sustain about 10W without overheating indefinitely (e.g. practically shorted to ground).
3) Spec'd the components for both 200VAC (common in tube mike supplies) and 230VAC operation (common everywhere else)
4) It's in a proven sonically-superior yellow color.  ;D

The main reason for the re-design was to make more effective use of the real-estate inside Dan's cases to give builders more options for torroid and other transformer / choke combinations.

UPDATE:  gen 2 SYT-5's are compete.  We are making ocean freight arrangements now.  Wood boxes for HT-11A microphones and 60mm shock mounts for U47 type bodies will also be in the shipment.

Hi chunger,

Great news!

Had a question re: the generation II SYT-5s: Does this mean you will have the shorter threading base pieces available? Also the plexiglass spacer for the capsule mount? If not now, when is the timeframe for those?

Thanks,
Chris

fazeka said:
Hi chunger,

Great news!

Had a question re: the generation II SYT-5s: Does this mean you will have the shorter threading base pieces available? Also the plexiglass spacer for the capsule mount? If not now, when is the timeframe for those?

Thanks,
Chris

No, I do not have the shorter base pieces or capsule spacers available yet.  First priority right now is to get the mics in stock as built.  I will follow up with development on the revision 2.1 and offer update parts as they become available.

UPDATE:

prototyping for mk47 power supply is going well. . . we have integrated some nice features into the scheme like a built-in voltmeter and external trim adjustment.  I will post details in my mk47 build thread here:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47112.msg723294#msg723294

Hi Chunger,

Do you have any sort of update on when you are expecting the STY-5 Mics and when they will be available to order from you?

jonathanmorbin said:
Hi Chunger,

Do you have any sort of update on when you are expecting the STY-5 Mics and when they will be available to order from you?

Ocean freight arrangements have been made.  I am uncertain if the cargo has gone out in the boat yet, but it should be coming my way any day now.  Usually, it takes about 2-4 weeks for cargo to arrive and then customs clearing time varies.  My recent 2 shipments have undergone some sort of heightened examination which adds time.  This shipment will include:

SYT-5 microphone bodies
SYT-5 shockmounts
HT-11A wood boxes
60mm diameter (U47) shock mounts.
misc. electronic components (switches, XLR inserts, etc.)

Thanks Chunger!...can you verify if there is enough exposed thread at the base of the original SYT-5 bodies to make use of this new threaded shockmount?...

thats great chunger!
about the 60 mm shockmount... how is the mic mounted in this shockmount? same as SYT-5 shockmount or like original/Flea has?

Back