Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Chunger,

Wanted to say huge thanks for the best possible buying experience.
The syt5 arrived today and now I can finally finish that D87 I started out building almost a year ago.
BTW it's gorgeous!
So thanks again for doing this!
Cheers
Moshe

Hi Chunger,

on my order of 09/07 you put the note: due to current order volumes, please expect delays in shipping.
Can you tell me, how much of a delay I have to expect ?

I can´t wait for all these nice little parts to work on.
And thanks again for your efforts in making this all available for us users.

Best
Manfred

flatresponse said:
Hi Chunger,

on my order of 09/07 you put the note: due to current order volumes, please expect delays in shipping.
Can you tell me, how much of a delay I have to expect ?

I can´t wait for all these nice little parts to work on.
And thanks again for your efforts in making this all available for us users.

Best
Manfred

All current orders except for 2 have now been shipped.  These 2 orders are awaiting Eric Heiserman HK12 capsules which should arrive any day.  These 2 customers have been emailed.  It appears Eric was caught up in M49 microphone body production crisis which has delayed his capsule production somewhat.  I should be well stocked again shortly.

I have a trip planned from Sept. 23 to Sept. 29 and will not be shipping any orders until I return.  Refunds if necessary will be processed immediately.

Hi Chunger,

I know you discussed the need for a spacer under the capsule mount to get the capsule oriented properly in the new SYT headbasket. What size spacer is needed? I have a variety of nylon spacers available to me, I'm hoping one will work. If so I might even have enough to donate some to the cause...

Edit: Never mind, I found it. The capsule mount needs to be raised by 8mm.

After a brief hold up at her majesties pleasure (which of course they wanted some money to resolve :p) Our pair of STY-2 bodies have arrived, and I am even more impressed then I thought I would be, the build quality is excellent they look great and are really high quality, there seems to have been a slight mistake in mine that one was shipped with a 7-pin XLR but a quick cannibalization of an spare connector sorted that.

Great work Chunger, I will definitely be back for more!

dreadheaded said:
After a brief hold up at her majesties pleasure (which of course they wanted some money to resolve :p)

NO taxation without representation! 

I never ship with an invoice inside the box so her majesty will need to do her own digging so as to resolve and assess any fees.

Important notice for people who recently purchased u47 shock mounts!

It appears the factory used felt lining that is too thick for the 60mm u47 tube. 

Please be aware the latches may break if you attempt to force the shock mount closed. 

I am travelling right now but will investigate the problem when i return. 

I am also working with the factory to find a solution.

chunger said:
dreadheaded said:
After a brief hold up at her majesties pleasure (which of course they wanted some money to resolve :p)

NO taxation without representation! 

I never ship with an invoice inside the box so her majesty will need to do her own digging so as to resolve and assess any fees.

Yea they held on to it for a few days, I am guesssing to decide what they wanted to charge, in the end it was £21 for 2 of them, which at the end of the day is not a major issue.

Hi I saw you intend to order those mics....Is it already possible to order some one? I would purchase a c12 copy (the Alctron HT-11A) and the Alctron GT-2B...shipped to italy! Thank you!

Hi guys,

Sorry for the temporary out of stock situation.  I probabaly should have planned better.  I have re-ordered another couple hundred parts kits.  Once the components arrive, i should be able to resume selling them quickly.  Nothing was out of stock or otherwise delayed.

chunger said:

It appears the factory used felt lining that is too thick for the 60mm u47 tube. 

Please be aware the latches may break if you attempt to force the shock mount closed. 

Hi chunger,

Is there an update on this?

Thanks,
Chris

fazeka said:
chunger said:

Hi chunger,

Is there an update on this?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes.  I am getting a shipment of replacement latches. . . Just in case some people already bent theirs.  As well as the proper thickness  felt pieces.  It will ve a bit of a pain to strip off the old felt and glue the new stuff on, but should resolve the issue. 

A faster solution may be for me to attach some course grit sandpaper to the outside of a 60mm body tube and sand down the thick felt.  I will have to experiment with it.

Either way, ill get it sorted out.

You can also use a excato knife and cut half the thickness of the felt away.  It takes less then 5 mins with a new blade.

For U47 shockmounts, you can also file the felt.  It will fuzz up and you can re-smooth it after removing an appropriate amount.

UPDATE:  In-stock Type 1 headbaskets are now transitioned to new factory supplier manufactured from the same original tooling I had made.  The assembly and mesh alignment  quality is much better now.  I believe the original metal factory has actually stopped offering the single mesh headbaskets because they have too many rejects upon assembly.  From the units shipped in the original production run, I estimate about 8-10% B-stock rate primarily due to mesh alignment problems. 

Other notable differences. . . The finish is more consistent from unit to unit.  More tool marks show in general.  I'm assuming either they are using a different grit polish compound or are not leaving it on the wheel as long as the previous factory, but the first production run had a high number of units with slight pitting in the finish which is not evident in the new run.  Also, the tolerances in the base piece have been tightened up a hair, so they fit just a bit more precisely to the tube for a little less wiggle.

Overall, i am happy with the improved consistency even though cost per unit is slightly higher.  It was not possible to easily correct the tooling to include the "bend" in the hoop originally specified, so for now, I am staying with this process for Type 1 and Type 2 headbaskets.  We are still utilizing first run Type 2 headbaskets currently from the original factory.

A few items are out of stock right now, but everything should be back online in a week.

I have taken a couple of evenings to prototype new products, so shipping is still delayed about 10 days with the current backlog.

Back