Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the other day the new GT-2B do not match the 1st run. The mesh is different. 

chunger said:
Alctron mk47 stripped bodies are complete at the factory.  . . I should have these in hand and available in 3-5 weeks if all goes well.  These are 3 rail 90 degree orientation, so they are very conducive to PCB based builds.

here-just-take.jpg

Searching for a good low-cost 87/67 body option, I have located a good candidate that fits the large rectangular style PCB's.

p951791519-4.jpg

p1012021049-4.jpg

It seems like the materials, construction, and assembly all seem to be truly bottom of the barrel!

p1059066268-4.jpg

The frame base and end cap are made from Chinese "mystery" pot metal.

p775837499-4.jpg

The casting is truly horrible.  It is likely though that like many samples I have received, it is a factory second.

p1052384216-4.jpg

And, we have a 100% useless solid aluminum capsule mount with no dampening qualities whatsoever.

p818463268-4.jpg

All that being said, the body does, in fact hold the current PCB's without modification

p850596616-4.jpg

And, the use of aluminum tube (I requested anodized finish for the sample) and cast parts reduces the price to about 60% of the current SYT-5 body which is machined brass.  Which would be fantastically cheap.  The top plate also fits the 1st gen SYT-5 capsule mount which did have some good features like insulated wire pass-through and easy raising of height with an 8mm M3 standoff.

From what I am seeing in terms of assembly quality, I will not venture to improve or alter the mesh configuration as i believe it would be an exercise in futility with this factory.

All of the above caveats in place, I do think the cheap or entry-priced bodies are important for DIY.  I would rather someone spend the extra money on a good capsule than a prettier body if it was a matter of one or the other.  Also, if building a "fleet" of drum mics that can be abused, this may not be a bad option.  Also, the base cap looks to be M21 threaded which would accept a few cheap low-profile swivel mounts.

If someone is looking for tubes on the u47 kit: I have 2x JAN 6028/408A Philps ECG USA NOS (military issue pentode in original box ) and a 7pin xlr cable for sale  ;)

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/41/1412724012-img-0491.jpg
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/41/1412724048-img-0493.jpg

Hi Guys,
I am about to pull the trigger on this c12 build but had a few questions.

Before this thread one of my first builds was  a 251 clone in an apex 460 but it had issues so I sent it to JJ Audio and had them reworked it into their Dutch 251 clone.  With their tone colors of old resistors and caps that they had on hand at the time.    I already had everything  including the 5 star 6027 tube, t14 trans and Tim's capsules it was kinda of easy for them to rework the circuit closer to a 251. 

I wanna make this build as I understand a lot more now and I wanna swap the tube and capsule from the 251 I have  into this new c12 build and compare the sound qualities between the two. 

My questions are

Is the type II head basket still better than the type I?  I read that the type I was flimsy.

Are all the parts in stock and can it be shipped all together?  Mic w/o chord, trans, pcb and components. 

Thanks
-Scott

The type 1 headbasket is not as strong as the dual layer variants.  I have not had any complaints regarding strength but a few people experienced ringing which is mitigated by gluing completely around the base perimeter.  That being said, most headbaskets in circulation are type 1.  More than 400 now in the same configuration.

AMI T14's are out of stock.  I recently had an unexpecred mass failure of 6 units in the batch and need to coordinate replacements.  Moving forward it is likely i will no longer stock the AMI's.  They are in production and available directly though.

All other parts that are listed as in stock on the webstore are in fact in stock.  I am currently 14 days behind in shipping.  I do bump orders to the top of the queue for special circumstances (travel, studio session, etc.).

We are on the cusp of transitioning pcbs and BOM to a new revision and product line restructuring.  A dedicated Ela M251 pcb will be in that mix.  Other changes should be fairly minor.

saxmonster said:
Hi Guys,
I am about to pull the trigger on this c12 build but had a few questions.

Before this thread one of my first builds was  a 251 clone in an apex 460 but it had issues so I sent it to JJ Audio and had them reworked it into their Dutch 251 clone.  With their tone colors of old resistors and caps that they had on hand at the time.    I already had everything  including the 5 star 6027 tube, t14 trans and Tim's capsules it was kinda of easy for them to rework the circuit closer to a 251. 

I wanna make this build as I understand a lot more now and I wanna swap the tube and capsule from the 251 I have  into this new c12 build and compare the sound qualities between the two. 

My questions are

Is the type II head basket still better than the type I?  I read that the type I was flimsy.

Are all the parts in stock and can it be shipped all together?  Mic w/o chord, trans, pcb and components. 

Thanks
-Scott

trans4funks1 said:
6 out of how many? 6 out of 10? 6 out of 100?

6 out of 25.  They are actively looking into the issue.  I have had a steady failure rate of about 1-2 units per batch continuously and i am informed that in am the only customer who has ever exerienced this. 

AMI reports 0 failures for all other customers shipping worldwide.  In a conversation recently, I discovered i am the only person regularly receiving quantity shipments in bulk packaging.  They are testing the packaging now to see if that was the problem and looking into changing to a more robust connection wire.  It is currently 30 gauge single conductor teflon.

Once i started testing all transformers on my bench prior to shipping, i experienced almost no customer side  failures but still steadily had failed units that AMI always promptly replaced.  I also hate being the sole "problem" customer who is constantly claiming broken products and problems that nobody else has.

Anyways, from my side, the new volume pricing structures can no longer account for shipping costs incurred when i have failures that i need to replace and it inevitably happens out in europe or australia.

All of AMI's transformers are in production and available direct.  Also, i have no reason to doubt the integrity of their 100% success rate directly shipping T14's to customers.  So that along with their flawless customer support track record should let people still buy with confidence.

For me, however, it does not look like i will be able to stock these moving forward.  I am short of AMI's currently established annual purchase volumes required to be an official vendor.

If I go with a Type I head basket what type of glue do u recommend?  A JB weld type of bonding agent?

Placed my order today!!!!! 

Mic body with type I HB and power supply, hookup wire, and pcb and components. 

Already have a 5* tube and tim's capsule I'm gonna swap out of my other mic to compare the two.

Gonna order the t14 next from AMI

Gonna be a blast to build!!!!

Thank again for a great project guys!!!!!!!!

chunger said:
  Also, the base cap looks to be M21 threaded which would accept a few cheap low-profile swivel mounts.

Would be fantastic If it would fit the BINDER 691 Series - wich is the same size as the Original swivel mount from Neumann IC4.

I have had a steady failure rate of about 1-2 units per batch continuously and i am informed that in am the only customer who has ever exerienced this. 

Your not the only one Chunger I've had the same issues with the T14 and 13 trannies from Ami 1-2 per set of 10...To there credit they always replace them no questions asked.

Got all the items today, looks really great. Can not wait to build.  Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

First time builder here, thinking about taking a whack at the U87 build.  I've been doing some research on here, but does anybody have some advice for a first timer before I purchase the kit?

gar381 said:
Chung...

Just for grins and a hoot and a ha-low..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALCTRON-GT-2B/32244619028.html

US $2,547.77 delivered!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Think I'll take a dozen  ;D ;D

GARY
Hurry up Gary only 999 left!!!
Shipping to germany is only 1.337,71USD,I wonder how they are shipped,maybe with a spaceshuttle?
Anyway,if you want some GT-2Bs I'd happily ship them to you for only 2.000/piece!-Deal? ;D

Cheers,

Udo.

New shipment of metal parts is loading onto the boat this week.  New items that will be available when these arrive:

- Alctron MK47 stripped bodies (U47 style)
- loose HT-11A shock mounts (larger dual latching style)
- loose GT-2B M27 threaded shock mounts (fit Gen 1 SYT-5 bodies and of course GT-2B)

GT-2B microphones will be re-supplied in this shipment as well in time for un-interrupted supply.

MK47 complete kits will add a mid-priced option with the MK47 body when this shipment arrives.

As for timing, I am not sure when these will land.  I have had extended delays on at least 2 shipments in customs so far, so I will not attempt to make predictions.

Latest posts

Back