Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Chunger,

Heading down to the Gettysburg Penn area from Canada for March 11-16.

If I placed an order would it be possible to have it reach one of our hotels by the end of the trip?

Thanks
Mac

maq3396 said:
Hi Chunger,

Heading down to the Gettysburg Penn area from Canada for March 11-16.

If I placed an order would it be possible to have it reach one of our hotels by the end of the trip?

Thanks
Mac

Hi Mac,

Yes.  Please email me to coordinate so I know the order has specific time-critical shipping requirements, and I will bump it up in the queue if necessary.

Chunger:: I was sent here from a fellow member

Can someone tell me if the Budget-YT5 body kit from studio939 would work for a u87clone consisting of the pcb kit from danny, the hk87 capsule, and a sowter tranny? (Trying to build something along the lines of the SA-87 by stam audio)

Or would I need the SYT-5 gen 3?

Yes. to the first ?
2nd - This low-cost body kit shares the same internal dimensions as the 100% machined brass GEN 2 SYT-5 body kit , but material specifications and finish quality have been reduced to the lowest possible standards yet still produce a functional body.

doom3crazy said:
Chunger:: I was sent here from a fellow member

Can someone tell me if the Budget-YT5 body kit from studio939 would work for a u87clone consisting of the pcb kit from danny, the hk87 capsule, and a sowter tranny? (Trying to build something along the lines of the SA-87 by stam audio)

Or would I need the SYT-5 gen 3?

The Budget yt-5 body will work with the current 87 and 67 projects.  It has been pretty impressive in terms of fit,  finish, and consistency for a low cost body!  I would not hesitate to use it.

Chunger
Several of my emails regarding an order I placed nearly 2 weeks ago are awaiting a response. Kindly show a sign of life...
Also, do you currently stock decent 6072's?

bavabasra said:
Chunger
Several of my emails regarding an order I placed nearly 2 weeks ago are awaiting a response. Kindly show a sign of life...
Also, do you currently stock decent 6072's?

Hello,

shipping queue is currently 7 days, so your order should have shipped and typically, tracking information is emailed when the label is processed.  For tested 6072 tubes, check in with Christian Whitmore.  He can get you any vintage tube you require.

chunger said:
Hello,

shipping queue is currently 7 days, so your order should have shipped and typically, tracking information is emailed when the label is processed.  For tested 6072 tubes, check in with Christian Whitmore.  He can get you any vintage tube you require.

Chunger
I placed on order on the 17th of April, based on this response am I safe in assuming my order is shipped? I have not received any shipping information
Thanks

Hi Shane,

Your order is currently 2nd in the queue.  Should be going out late this week.

ShaneSBG said:
Chunger
I placed on order on the 17th of April, based on this response am I safe in assuming my order is shipped? I have not received any shipping information
Thanks

Hey guys, do you know what are the differences between the SYT-5 gen1 and gen3 ? Which one would you recommend ? And which schockmount would fit either of those bodies ?
Thanks !

Avgatzeblouz said:
Hey guys, do you know what are the differences between the SYT-5 gen1 and gen3 ? Which one would you recommend ? And which schockmount would fit either of those bodies ?
Thanks !

The Gen 1 units had a 27mm threaded base, 2 screw attachment for the headbasket, and a  dual layer mesh.  They also came with "ring type" shock mounts that wrapped around the body tube and tightened.  Gen 2 and 3 use 24mm screw type shock mounts and have 3 layer headbasket mesh.

chunger said:
The Gen 1 units had a 27mm threaded base, 2 screw attachment for the headbasket, and a  dual layer mesh.  They also came with "ring type" shock mounts that wrapped around the body tube and tightened.  Gen 2 and 3 use 24mm screw type shock mounts and have 3 layer headbasket mesh.

Chunger, are any of your bodies externally the same dimensions of the Neumann U87?

UPDATE:

A production run of new M49 bodies have been completed at the factory and we are awaiting ocean freight arrangements.  These should be quite nice and not break the bank as long as the production copies are as good as the samples.

We will see how it all plays out!

chunger said:
UPDATE:

A production run of new M49 bodies have been completed at the factory and we are awaiting ocean freight arrangements.  These should be quite nice and not break the bank as long as the production copies are as good as the samples.

We will see how it all plays out!

Sounds great! Do you have any pictures? are they same or similiar to the bodies banzai got?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use one of those power supply boards to put into a PSU used to power two tube mics at once (U47 and C12)?

mattmartin831 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use one of those power supply boards to put into a PSU used to power two tube mics at once (U47 and C12)?

The PSU board cannot be used for C12 and U47.  The U47 supply is different from most other tube mic power supplies because it is a single 105V rail that supplies both heater and B+.  It also produces a lot of heat, so it is typical for the build to use a larger, better ventilated case.

I recommend building a separate power supply for U47 builds.

BUUUUUT, I have an experimental 90V transformer that could work with the PCB to supply the 105V U47 using just the passive  B+ section of our PCB setup.  This is not tested though.  The reason for using a lower power transformer is to try and reduce the heat generated.  But it could also have detrimental effects to the filtering.  This would also not be compatible with the C12 because the transformer does not have a 9V tap for the heater side of the power supply.

I have not prototyped and tested the setup and only have 2 sample transformers on hand for this application.  The best current advice is to use Zayance's PCB and build the U47 PSU that way.

chunger said:
The PSU board cannot be used for C12 and U47.  The U47 supply is different from most other tube mic power supplies because it is a single 105V rail that supplies both heater and B+.  It also produces a lot of heat, so it is typical for the build to use a larger, better ventilated case.

I recommend building a separate power supply for U47 builds.

BUUUUUT, I have an experimental 90V transformer that could work with the PCB to supply the 105V U47 using just the passive  B+ section of our PCB setup.  This is not tested though.  The reason for using a lower power transformer is to try and reduce the heat generated.  But it could also have detrimental effects to the filtering.  This would also not be compatible with the C12 because the transformer does not have a 9V tap for the heater side of the power supply.

I have not prototyped and tested the setup and only have 2 sample transformers on hand for this application.  The best current advice is to use Zayance's PCB and build the U47 PSU that way.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Back