Unmarked Microphone bodies and parts (SYT-5, CU-49, HT-11A, GT-2B, and U47)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chunger, I placed an order on your site about two weeks ago. Are you close to shipping it? I can pick up in person if need be. I live about 10-15 mins away from you if you're still in the East Bay.

jordan s said:
Chunger, I placed an order on your site about two weeks ago. Are you close to shipping it? I can pick up in person if need be. I live about 10-15 mins away from you if you're still in the East Bay.

Hi Jordan,

I was short a few 3 pos screw terminals and those just showed up in the mail.  I'll let you know when I have your parts sorted and you can drop by.

Hi guys, newbie here.
I've made clone type kits in the past (La2a's, Neve 1073, Pultec Eq etc) however I've not attempted a mic.... Until now.  Since giving music a break whilst working on my house I have now decided to set up a studio... Again!! Must be mad ;-)
I was hoping to make a U87 style mic. I'm sorry for my ignorance here but is there an unwritten rule that one place cannot just supply all of the parts needed in one go? I remember all of this rigmarole with my other projects... Its all flooding back to me now.
I like the DIY building but I hate the amount of hours spent searching the net.
Again I am sorry for my ignorance and would appreciate any advise.
Many Thanks
Brett

BrettGee said:
Hi guys, newbie here.
I've made clone type kits in the past (La2a's, Neve 1073, Pultec Eq etc) however I've not attempted a mic.... Until now.  Since giving music a break whilst working on my house I have now decided to set up a studio... Again!! Must be mad ;-)
I was hoping to make a U87 style mic. I'm sorry for my ignorance here but is there an unwritten rule that one place cannot just supply all of the parts needed in one go? I remember all of this rigmarole with my other projects... Its all flooding back to me now.
Many Thanks
Brett

Go to the top of this topic, look in white market, research is what DIY is all about IMO!

Pip said:
Go to the top of this topic, look in white market, research is what DIY is all about IMO!
Hi Pip, thanks for your response, I understand that this can all be part of the fun, but I really enjoy the making part, not so much the sourcing all the parts from all over the place part  :'(
I suppose I was just hoping that there was a one stop shop kinda thing going on by now, maybe there is and I've missed it somehow?

Brett

Brett,

Well, you can just go to microphone-parts.com and purchase a kit! Be aware, though, that you're going to pay a premium to have someone else gather all the pieces and that you'll have to live with that person's idea of the optimal compromises.

The DIY community has a lot of talented contributors spread out all over the place.  For mics specifically, it seems everyone has their own preferences for capsule, transformer, tubes, and other bits.  If you want a "roadmap" for a U87 clone that works pretty well and compromises very little, here is how I would built it:

from my webstore:
SYT-5 or Budget-YT5 body kit (3 pin option)
cinemag CM-13113 transformer

PCB from Dany Bouchard at vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com  Get the DU87M (blue PCB)
Use the referenced and updated  Mouser BOM provided by Dany to get most of your electronic components

Buy your styrene caps from justradios.com

Get an Eric Heiserman HK87 capsule from the white market here.

Done!  One of the most useful mics I've built, and I've had no complaints from the engineers I've worked with concerning this microphone putting it up in most applications.

BrettGee said:
Hi guys, newbie here.
Many Thanks
Brett

HT-11A and MK47 body kits are finally back in stock! 

U47 shock mounts are back in stock!

Wood boxes for CU-49 bodies has been added.

We are still out of stock on U47 and SYT-5 wood boxes.

chunger said:
The DIY community has a lot of talented contributors spread out all over the place.  For mics specifically, it seems everyone has their own preferences for capsule, transformer, tubes, and other bits.  If you want a "roadmap" for a U87 clone that works pretty well and compromises very little, here is how I would built it:

from my webstore:
SYT-5 or Budget-YT5 body kit (3 pin option)
cinemag CM-13113 transformer

PCB from Dany Bouchard at vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com  Get the DU87M (blue PCB)
Use the referenced and updated  Mouser BOM provided by Dany to get most of your electronic components

Buy your styrene caps from justradios.com

Get an Eric Heiserman HK87 capsule from the white market here.

Done!  One of the most useful mics I've built, and I've had no complaints from the engineers I've worked with concerning this microphone putting it up in most applications.

Thank you Chunger, your guidance is most welcome and very useful. I think we are all at different levels of 'DIY', some enjoy it all to the very last detail with all of the choices experimented with and considered... I for one cannot even make my mind up when it comes to choosing what I want in my sandwich when I go to a Subway. I do however want to build a good replica of the U87 mic. I will follow your instructions and am glad you have broken it down for me as, to be honest it does get convoluted and difficult to make choices with so much valuable input from so many on here.
Thanks again
Brett

Do you plan to stock the C12 M251 parts kits again?  If so, about when?

Also: I want start a clone tube mic build ASAP for recording from instrument amp and guitar amp- probably no vocals.  C12/Ela  251 very popular in general and easier path.  But is another style (U47 or others) more appropriate for my needs?  Doesn't really matter that much?

Thanks, Kip.....

I too would be interested to know when we could expect the 251 parts kits in or at least a BOM of some kind?

Carl Cress said:
I too would be interested to know when we could expect the 251 parts kits in or at least a BOM of some kind?

There is a BOM at the first page of the Group DIY "Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread",  posted in 2013- so I'm not sure if its current.  I haven't searched thru the thread to see if there are updates.

Hi Chunger, I'm building a D-ela M 251E. I'm using poctop's pcb but I found my mic doesn't close.
Photos in attachments.
Can you help me to solve the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Back