analogguru

Re: Dachman Audio Capsules?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
.... and I can hear it move around when moving the mic. 
So why don't you fix it by putting some hot wax into the metal shielding ?

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 03:30:17 PM »
So why don't you fix it by putting some hot wax into the metal shielding ?

Because I didn’t know you could do that, hence why I’m asking. 

Is it not ok for the transformer metal to touch the shield metal? 

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 05:01:13 PM »
Does it have the same amount of HF boost as the original Neumann K87 capsule?
I don't have a real Neumann K87 capsule to compare with. 

I have built several of Dan's D-87 boards with a Mic Parts RK-87, a 3U Audio K-87, a couple cheap K-87 copies off EBay, and the DA-K87.  They each used the same components, other than the transformers, which were Cinemag CM 13113, 3U Audio GZT-87, and  cheap T-13 from EBay.  The DA-K87/13113 combo is the best sounding, followed by 3U Audio K-87/GZT-87, at least for my ears and uses (vocals and acoustic guitar).  It seems bright, but smooth and full to me.

RuudNL

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2020, 04:23:36 AM »
I know. This is why people try alternatives ways. Plus, it makes things more interesting and inspires more creativity.

If just looking for a true replacement, I’m not sure anything but the original is going to satisfy. Then it gets down to how original the product is within the same manufacturer. Then we’re at gearslutz level. Slippery slope.

The main problem is that at the moment you have to change the HF feedback, you have no idea of what you are doing! Most people don't have an advanced measurement setup, so you have to do the change 'by ear'.
With the result that you can create a completely different microphone!
I have measured many K67/K87 capsules in the past and the conclusion is that they are all different.
To my surprise the RK87 by MicParts was almost identical to the original K87 from Neumann.
(But maybe I was just lucky...)
That is why I asked about the HF response. Ideally, it should be a drop in replacement, without any changes to the circuit.
There is a solution for every problem!

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

RuudNL

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2020, 04:28:10 AM »
I don't have any other microhones with a transformer in it.  All of the mic pics online have the shield already covering the transformer. 

Couldn't you just help me out and tell me?

Usually, the transformer is wrapped in foam plastic, to prevent it from rattling in the shielding cup.
Personally, I wouldn't use wax or stuff like that. (I already imagine the mess you will get...)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:28:22 AM by RuudNL »

analogguru

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 06:06:51 AM »
Usually, the transformer is wrapped in foam plastic, to prevent it from rattling in the shielding cup.
Personally, I wouldn't use wax or stuff like that. (I already imagine the mess you will get...)
45 years ago it was a common practice:

At least a better solution than glueing the transformer inside the mic, like shure did/does it.

RuudNL

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
I think it is easier to do this in a factory than at home!
(Personally, I wouldn't even think about this solution!)

Recording Engineer

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
The main problem is that at the moment you have to change the HF feedback, you have no idea of what you are doing! Most people don't have an advanced measurement setup, so you have to do the change 'by ear'.
With the result that you can create a completely different microphone!
I have measured many K67/K87 capsules in the past and the conclusion is that they are all different.
To my surprise the RK87 by MicParts was almost identical to the original K87 from Neumann.
(But maybe I was just lucky...)
That is why I asked about the HF response. Ideally, it should be a drop in replacement, without any changes to the circuit.

I see what you’re saying, but if MicParts is the best option for a k87 replacement and a true-replacement is the number one priority, I definitely stand-by sticking to biting the price-bullet with Neumann. Beesneez is good enough for me though for a replacement when price is ahead (it usually is). Most of the time though, I’m not looking for a replacement at all and use Luke Audio.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
more
https://eshop.macsales.com/owc-radio/josh-sularski-creating-amazing-audio/

I stopped listening after a few minutes
Did I get this right that the owner of Dachman built his first DIY microphone ever only in late 2019? And a few months later he already started selling mic capsules and now a U87 kit?

gyraf

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »
as already mentioned:

Another instance of the peluso business model..

/Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..