Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am referring to Chuck's body. His shockmount is the clamping style. While it's a good solid mount, I like to hang my mics for doing VOX and ACG (just my preference) and I feel like the mic can slide out of the mount. I have a screw on mount that came with my T-Bone SCT700 which works for the U67 style body as well.

Here are some pics of the Amphenol 7 pin implemented on my MK47 (which I used the T-Bone SCT700 for) It's got the same sized end as the ChuckD/Chunger U67 body. It requires minor boring to implement. it's MUCH easier than throwing a Binder on there and you get the screw on cable capability which i like way more than a clip in 7 pin XLR

Here is a shot of the U67 body in a screw on shockmount

Dave

Thanks for the pics everyone, the Amphenol seems nice. Glad there's a screw-on option available. This build is looking better and better--can't wait to start mine.

Dylan

Just added the picture from from the WM in term of railing validation, it explains a bit better the basic board setup,

Thanks,
Dan,

Hi all, I posted this in my capsule thread awhile back but I thought it may be valuable here as well.
So I have been lucky enough to be the very first Poctop u67 builder, Let me say a big thanks to Poctops tireless efforts the guy is truly a freak and deservers nothing but our admiration!! So as soon as I finished my 67 build I started work on tweaking my capsule. After a good week of effort I feel I have what I think is pretty close to the original sound of the Neumann k67 capsule. The first is me playing guitar pretty badly  :p I am a drummer by trade! 312 pre amp in to my fireface at 24 bit 44.1. Second is my very nice wife. Same setup with a pop screen, the third is a voice over test I did again same 312 to fireface setup. I also have some build pics as well. Enjoy!!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/acoustic.wav
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/female%20vocal.wav
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55530129/voiceover.wav

20120902_084016.jpg

20120902_084039.jpg

20120902_084103.jpg

20120902_084122.jpg

20120902_084208.jpg

20120902_084242.jpg

20120902_084352.jpg

20120903_114135.jpg

20120903_114203.jpg

20120903_114219.jpg

20120903_114233.jpg

20120903_114304.jpg

20120903_114318.jpg

20120903_114338.jpg

20120903_114709.jpg

20120903_114727.jpg

What a great sounding mic you have there TSKGUY.  Really picks up the body of everything effortlessly.  Great clarity in the mid range and low mids without being peaky.  Sounds expensive!

Very impressed

Big respect you you as well poctop!

Thanks for the kind words guys,  I am very happy with the way it sounds. I can't wait to see some more folks finishing these up!
I am feeling a bit lonely.
Eric :)

ktfstudio said:
I have a Neumann k67. I would have to strap the backplates together, right?

If you have a K67 the 2 individual backplate are short togheter ( you can actually test this with a DMM) and that is what you need for the U67 project
So only 3 connection ( backplate - front D and Back D,)
Hope this helps,
dan,

Finished the first one! The 30 dollar Tungsol tube from thetubestore.com turned out to be dead quite and has been burning all night. The Telefunken that has been rolling around in a drawer for years had me thinking I had done something wrong at first. I think I may want to increase the feedback a bit but have to do some recordings first. I will follow up with my impressions soon. I really need to find a counter weight for that old Atlas stand because the mic is heavy enough to kill normal stands.
Thanks again for all your work Dan!

I noticed this was brought up, but never directly addressed in the thread. I've finished my power supply, and it seems to be working great. Testing it unloaded gets me over 300VDC with the B+ trimmer all the way down. Can anyone verify this as normal? Still waiting on capsule and transormer for the mic, so nothing to hook it up to as of yet. Thanks

Ken

DOH! you're right. For some reason I spaced it. Will throw that in and clean up my wiring a bit.

Beezneez capsule on it's way, I'll order Max's transformer soon and start the testing with pics and sound samples

Ken

Mine was running 320 vdc unloaded so it seems fine to me
Happy to see that some of you will have a 67 running soon
You can tweak that serie resistor to get what you need but the 56k should do the trick
Dan

Did a shootout  between the 67 and one half of my sm2 tonight. The competition was fierce! Both great tools, the sm2 was smokey and the 67 was much more articulate, more air. Just what I wanted! But they were out of phase. Have to find out which one now. I'll put the 67 up against a bunch more mics tomorrow - majority rules.
I found that a 47k resistor on the series plate pot put the pot in a more useful position, but it might just be my tube.
Dan, there are two post sets labeled LC and IS, LC is a switch hookup. Does IS represent S2 on the Neumann schematic? Should IS be open or closed.
Keep up the good work, this is a great project,
Pete

kpearsall said:
I noticed this was brought up, but never directly addressed in the thread. I've finished my power supply, and it seems to be working great. Testing it unloaded gets me over 300VDC with the B+ trimmer all the way down. Can anyone verify this as normal? Still waiting on capsule and transormer for the mic, so nothing to hook it up to as of yet. Thanks

Ken

yeps ,  if you have used the Triad 230V I had close to 320VDC with the pot in one direction dont recall wich one tough,
Dan,

Back