Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmp said:
Does anyone know what size screws are needed for connecting the pcb to the mic body with the cathedral pipes body?

IIRC those are 2mm screw but make sure you can take on and measure it to make sure,
Hope this helps,
Dan,

I should have gone to ACE. Went to Tru Value cuz they were closer, and they "help" there instructed me which screw to use, which didn't fit, and then spent 5 minutes telling me they wouldn't have it and I needed to look elsewhere. Finally got him to go away and found it within 30 seconds.

It's like going into radio shack and asking for a balanced cable. "Uh....Sir, we only have mono and stereo"

Yes. Yes you do. Good boy.

Is anyone making their ps regulated and filtered?

I also had the idea of adding the potentiometers and Voltmeters to the outside of the case to fine tune the Voltages from location to location as input voltages vary from studio to studio. Taking into consideration the cable loss etc... (could be measured and calibrated)

The thought came from the fact that the heater on my c12 can fluctuate anywhere from 5.2 - 7.5 volts depending on where I use the mic.

Thoughts?

There are only very few U67 "cloners" who go all the way and, like poctop, do the negative feedback, tertiary winding thing and such.
The Wunder CM67 does make an attempt. There's a thread about that microphone, at the Gearslutz forum. Over there, not everyone posts inside pictures like they would on this here DIY forum. But post #81 does offer us a peek.
Not to hijack; just to add, for those interested.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/697529-anyone-heard-wunder-cm67-3.html

The body seems to be a Flea 47 with their fitting, 67-ish headbasket.

Dany, if you want me to place this elsewhere, please let me know.

I have a good source that confirmed the tranny to be AMI! But give me a break a chinese capsule!! And that Mic is $3,895. Krripes man! :mad: :mad: :mad:

tskguy said:
I have a good source that confirmed the tranny to be AMI! But give me a break a chinese capsule!! And that Mic is $3,895. Krripes man! :mad: :mad: :mad:

...red locktight (you know what that means) on the capsule's center terminal screw (looks just like Peluso's P-K67)...hmmm...makes me 'wunder' what the K47 capsule in their CM7-GTS looks like (more 'red' locktight?)...

Hello all,
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the DU67 project. I LOVE this mic. It's super sweet and sounds absolutely awesome.
Tskguy's capsules are truly works of art. Here are some tracks I threw together while doing some initial recordings after finishing the mic and installing on of Eric's capsules.
The signal flow is DU67 –> Sound Skulptor MP573 –> ProTools. I'm really digging the way these tracks sound with no eq or comp.
2 acoustic guitars and 2 vox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43h1rvg0yqdwm7x/DU67-HK67-1073%20GUIT%26VOX.wav

I did this in about 10 min single takes on all the tracks so I'm sorry about my pitchy vox.
This mic is def going to be on all my records from now on and it's already at a colleague's studio doing the duty!

Dave

Hi all have some problem to find the body for the D67 chuckD stoped he's production so dunno where to look :p any idea about that ?

wave said:
Hello all,
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the DU67 project. I LOVE this mic. It's super sweet and sounds absolutely awesome.
Tskguy's capsules are truly works of art. Here are some tracks I threw together while doing some initial recordings after finishing the mic and installing on of Eric's capsules.
The signal flow is DU67 –> Sound Skulptor MP573 –> ProTools. I'm really digging the way these tracks sound with no eq or comp.
2 acoustic guitars and 2 vox

https://cdn.groupbuilder.com/groupdiy/u/39511/58d0281993972.wav

I did this in about 10 min single takes on all the tracks so I'm sorry about my pitchy vox.
This mic is def going to be on all my records from now on and it's already at a colleague's studio doing the duty!

Dave

Hey Wave ,  thanks For making my day  this sounds amazing  :eek: :-\ :D ;) :) ;D ;D ;D
Best,

Hi All,

i have my U67 clone working, sounds amazing, this is what i have in it:

RK-47 capsule
Sowter 1304f transformer
Nos Tung EF86 valve

and i crammed it all in a SE Z3300A, bit tight but fits in there ok.
Had to run the mic for about a day to burn the valve in and sounds so good now.
the has real depth and loads of gain, smooth on the top end, clear mid range.
Ive got a K-67 capsule coming so gonna try it out, really happy with the sowter transformer as well.

regards

Spence.

So the adjustment for the Plate voltage is R3 (8.2k) -> 56k -> 50k pot where the 56k is hanging off the pot? Why not just use 68k for R3?
Also I feel like I may be missing a key part of the build info? I've been looking through a ton of pictures, the BOM, and the schematics. But didn't see anything about the 56k until reading through the thread again this morning. Is there another schematic I've missed?
Also, note that the PT for the B+ should be wired parallel primary, series secondary. I made that mistake as well until seeing the sketch on page2 of the thread.

micaddict said:
Isn't it pretty dark with the 47 capsule and the 67 de-emphasis circuit?

...that RK-47 capsule is far from dark on it's own...IMHO, probably the brightest of the aftermarket K47 capsule options...

Latest posts

Back