Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the beezneez 67 capsule and it sounds amazing! Tele EF86, IO audio transformer. I'm using the Chunger bday. Ill bring it to my other studio in the next day or so and give it a run against our vintage 67, but as i said earlier it sounds amazing. Just as i would expect the mic to sound. It has that quality that a SM7 has(but more HIFI) where they just sit in the mix with no eq

imo said:
I have the beezneez 67 capsule and it sounds amazing! Tele EF86, IO audio transformer. I'm using the Chunger bday. Ill bring it to my other studio in the next day or so and give it a run against our vintage 67, but as i said earlier it sounds amazing. Just as i would expect the mic to sound. It has that quality that a SM7 has(but more HIFI) where they just sit in the mix with no eq

If you get the chance, a quick shootout against the vintage 67 would be tremendous! Can't wait to finish mine.

Dylan

imo said:

This is very good news as it's my exact configuration.  Good oh.
What was your source for the tele ef86s?

Also, winetree, if I may, can I ask what your source for the EF806s is?

Peace

Jim

Dylan W said:
imo said:

If you get the chance, a quick shootout against the vintage 67 would be tremendous! Can't wait to finish mine.

Dylan

+1 on this ,  well i have to say that i am really glad for you guys  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ive had the tele for a while. Tried it in a couple of other builds(i have a lot of mics with EF86s!).
I don't really know a good source, but need to find a reputable tube seller for super low noise. It took a few days to burn this one in. At first I thought i was gonna need another tube, but it has settled in. Could be a little quieter, but as long as it isn't doing that "poppy" thing that the tubes sometimes do, i'm fine. Main thing is that it sounds great.
We are working at my studio today. Typically we don't have time for shootouts(super busy recording) but i will try to do something as soon as i can!

I've been using my 67  bunch.  It is amazing.  I can't wait to build up my second one.  Even the artist have loved the sound of it.  They comment on how great everything sounds.  From Electric guitar, dobro to vocals.  Pretty great!

Thanks

imo said:
I don't really know a good source, but need to find a reputable tube seller for super low noise.

I bought a Hulimin Telefunken EF86 and a Valvo EF86 from http://www.nostubestore.com/ both tested for low noise and microphonics.

I haven't tried the Telefunken yet since I've been super busy and fired my mic up with the Valvo just to be safe. The Valvo sounded great on power up and the mic is as quiet as my Beesneez Arabella. I will install the Telefunken soon.

Also, the guy at nostubestore.com was great to deal with. He is selling Hilumin Telefunkens that have other brands stamped on them. This was a very common practice but I've read that sometimes when Telefunken manufactured for other companies (and other companies manufactured for Telefunken) they would use different materials or practices.

Anyways, I could not find any information on the web about Telefunken making Hilumin EF86s for other companies (and the quality of them) so I e-mailed the guy and he said he would make sure that mine would be one labeled Telefunken. There are ways to tell if they are legit anyways but after dealing with this guy I'm confident that they are all fine.

I only recording one song quickly with my Arabella on voice then the DU67 (Valvo), then the DU67 (Valvo) with the low cut. So far it's hard to imagine that by putting in the Telefunken it's going to sound better because even with the Valvo, I've never heard anything this good before.

Winetree said:
Is your Valvo Tube the mesh grill or sold silver?

Has anybody found a wooden mic box that'll fit this mic.
Using SYT-5 body. (Chunger)

I would love to find a nice wooden box as well for them. 

dandeurloo said:
Winetree said:
Is your Valvo Tube the mesh grill or sold silver?

Has anybody found a wooden mic box that'll fit this mic.
Using SYT-5 body. (Chunger)

I would love to find a nice wooden box as well for them.

I'm going true DIY.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/57011/basic-box-making

Dylan

Calibrating PSU -6.3 vdc and the Pot does nothing, Stays at -16.00Vdc
Pot it's 50 ohm. Any suggestions? Using square H- pad and pin7 as Test pionts.
Lowest I can get is 225vdc will that go down with mic hooked-up?

Winetree said:
Calibrating PSU -6.3 vdc and the Pot does nothing, Stays at -16.00Vdc
Pot it's 50 ohm. Any suggestions? Using square H- pad and pin7 as Test pionts.
Lowest I can get is 225vdc will that go down with mic hooked-up?

Are you testing with a load or no load? 

No load. Wanted to set levels before I hooked up the mic. They'll go down with a load?
Even though shouldn't the H- pot do something. the 210 vdc does with no load.

Winetree said:
Hooked up mic. Adjusted to  -6.3 vdc.
At full could only get 202 vdc. ???

Wich resistance did you put in series with the B+ Pot , in certain instance you may have to tweak the value a little , i used 56K,
Make sure you give it enough time to stabilize and warmup to make sure you are really off a little.
so for less voltage drop try lower value a little ,

Hope this helps,
Dan,

Latest posts

Back