Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pelicase 1500 works fine looks sexy and can resist a tank :)

IMG_2173.jpg

If you need help getting a case, let me know, i will be able to help.

Yes, for sure, I'm interested in getting two cases for both mic, psu, shock mount and cable!

Thanks.

best

Olivier

Hi,
I ordered them at thomann. You should not take something smaller because this size is ok for mic/psu/mount/ but the 2 cables have to put on top of these. There's no romm in the foam for the cables. But bigger case is to much in size for me.

tabarnac!!

just recording some vocals with one of my new DU67's . sounds pretty darn good. dead quiet. sounds way better than my TLM67. the DU67 sounds more hype in the top, with something nice goin on in the lows that the TLM just doesnt come close too.. we used new K67 capsules from neumann berlin, the AMI T67 transformers from kansas, ShuaiYin SYT-5 bodies n shocks from chunger, power supply cases from danderloo.. got some electro harmonix tubes in at the moment, gonna switch out one with the hilumin silver shield telefunken EF86 and see how they compare..

merci dany!!! :D 

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi Guys,

thought i'd post a link to a track i did to test the U67 on acoustic guitar and vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/spencer-lee-horton/snuff-acoustic-version-by

needs a bit more of a mix but i think you get the idea.

regards

Spence.
Thanks!
Sound very good. Especially on guitar.

ok here is finally a comparaison between classic U67 and my D67 at mythic studio gang paris
i did a little article (english) on my blog with the audio files there and building pictures (in french)
hope to do more but that's it for now :)
massive thx to poctop this is a great kit !
http://www.sylvainmoreau.com/sylvain_moreau/?p=940
(say hello in comments ;) )

dgoszillai said:
ok here is finally a comparaison between classic U67 and my D67 at mythic studio gang paris
i did a little article (english) on my blog with the audio files there and building pictures (in french)

Thanks for the nice article sylvain ,  Remember that there is an errata on the polarity for the D-67 all you have to do to fix it is reverse pin 2 and pin 3 up in the power supply xlr connector and you will be ready to rock,

What is your impression overall, Let me know,

Best,
Dan,

here is my feeling about the sound. compared to the classic one i found the D67 with more little subtle high end + better presence there too. I found the U67 a bit bassy to me. And the more i listen to it what ever the voice or the loudness (depending on mouth position maybe) i always thought that the D67 would be my choice for that tiny difference (can you belive this :s) and not to mention the price ..

Dgoszillai!,

Thats so cool you prefer the D67! I am so glad ;D ;D. Did you have a chance to compare the 5 capsules with each other?? I am oping they are as matches as I intended.

Please let us know!

about the caspules the only test i did was to put 2 D67 side by side. i didn't swap capsules on the same mic so not sure the difference i heard is not due to electronic or mic position. and i still can't belive that the final result is sweeter to the U67 to my ears  :eek:
i still have 2 mics at home i will do some recording tomorrow to se how they sound.
the problem is i have one good tube and 3 bad ! so for that test i'll have to use one bad tube.
i'm a bit desapointed about the tubes and hope the seller will consider some replacement for the one he gave me because on the 6 i ordered  3 are good 2 are totally wasted (!) 1 is .. not that great. they all do a noise that sound like a low vinyl hum and cracks. some very loud and continuously and one low and sometime.

anyway we're so happy about this project we're almost ready to start some U47fet (about 5 or 6)

dgoszillai said:
Thanks!
I always appreciate being able to listen to the gear :)
Do you believe the Neve preamp adds to the bass for both mics?

dgoszillai said:

Hello.  :)
Or should I say bonjour?

Anyway, the two samples sound pretty close indeed. That figures because one is a clone/copy of the other, right? Well, actually the U67 has proven to be one of the most difficult mics to copy. Plus most of the parts on/in the new one are not exactly the same (different manufacturers, different age etc.). So that makes this achievement extra special.

Don't I hear any differences? Yes, I do.

The U67 sounds a little thinner at first, but I believe that is because it comes after the D67, and in the second half of the samples you seem a litlle closer (more proximity). So if you play the U67 first, you get the same feeling when the D67 starts, if that makes sense.
BTW, although my French isn't much to speak of, I think I hear something like "je suis à dix centimetres; c'est pas beaucoup" which would mean something like "I am at ten centimeters (four inches); that ain't much (distance). On a typical U67 you can (!) actually get significantly closer, especially if the 40 Hz high pass is in the circuit.

Interestingly, the original pops more, despite it having one more layer of mesh. The D67 "wins" in this department. Were you right in the middle of the two mics?

When it comes to esses it is extremely hard to beat a U67 and I do hear the esses as being smoother in the original. But even that hurdle will be taken as this project matures, I'm sure. What K67 capsule did you use?

Short version: congrats !!!

micaddict said:
dgoszillai said:

Hello.  :)
Or should I say bonjour?

Anyway, the two samples sound pretty close indeed. That figures because one is a clone/copy of the other, right? Well, actually the U67 has proven to be one of the most difficult mics to copy. Plus most of the parts on/in the new one are not exactly the same (different manufacturers, different age etc.). So that makes this achievement extra special.

Don't I hear any differences? Yes, I do.

The U67 sounds a little thinner at first, but I believe that is because it comes after the D67, and in the second half of the samples you seem a litlle closer (more proximity). So if you play the U67 first, you get the same feeling when the D67 starts, if that makes sense.
BTW, although my French isn't much to speak of, I think I hear something like "je suis à dix centimetres; c'est pas beaucoup" which would mean something like "I am at ten centimeters (four inches); that ain't much (distance). On a typical U67 you can (!) actually get significantly closer, especially if the 40 Hz high pass is in the circuit.

Interestingly, the original pops more, despite it having one more layer of mesh. The D67 "wins" in this department. Were you right in the middle of the two mics?

When it comes to esses it is extremely hard to beat a U67 and I do hear the esses as being smoother in the original. But even that hurdle will be taken as this project matures, I'm sure. What K67 capsule did you use?

Short version: congrats !!!
I agree that there is more sibilance in the D67 than the U67. They do sound pretty close, but personally, I have a much easier time detecting differences on instruments, not voice.

Dogzillai used Tskguy Capsule , and I agree sometimes to get a real picture you need to record instruments such as AC guit and such,  i did post some female vocal with mine with a Genuine vintage Neumann K67 earlier in this thread for your reference if needed.

Best,
Dan,

HELP!!!! I took my first finished mic out today to use, and there was small marks all over it like it's corroding! on the bottom connector, there's small areas of what looks like green mold! On the inside, the plate that the capsule mount attaches to is brown with a light rust!! I've kept both mics side by side in their original pouches. The second one looks just fine! so I don't think it's the wisconsin heat and humidity. Can anyone tell me what this is? what's happening? How to clean it up and protect it??

kpearsall said:
HELP!!!! I took my first finished mic out today to use, and there was small marks all over it like it's corroding! on the bottom connector, there's small areas of what looks like green mold! On the inside, the plate that the capsule mount attaches to is brown with a light rust!! I've kept both mics side by side in their original pouches. The second one looks just fine! so I don't think it's the wisconsin heat and humidity. Can anyone tell me what this is? what's happening? How to clean it up and protect it??

Which donor body are you using?

-James-

kpearsall said:

That is indeed very strange, unless they were contact with oxydising agent at the factory and it has not been totally removed inside the mic body parts and it continued to slowly attacked the metal parts, and you are certain that it has not been exposed to humidity , were there a mini pouch of sillica gel in each of the case in this instance ?
D

Back