Neumann U67 Clone : D-U67 Tube Microphone Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My D-67 is alive!  Powered right on the first time.  Used AMI T-67 and have a nice Amperex EF86.  Sounds great even with the old Chinese K67 capsule.  My Heiserman HK67 due around xmas -- I hope Santa delivers it soon!

Thanks to Dan and everyone participating in this thread.  It was a complicated build, but I had a lot of fun doing it.  Of course I just want to make another now...

Attachments

• D67 first power test (2).jpg
    D67 first power test (2).jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 112
That looks pretty awesome! I am itching to get mine together.

I have everything needed to get this project done, but I am still waiting on the pcb's. How long does shipping the pcb usually take? I made my order over two weeks ago, but haven't seen anything yet. I emailed Dan, but he must be on Christmas vacation.

Naterbater said:
That looks pretty awesome! I am itching to get mine together.

I have everything needed to get this project done, but I am still waiting on the pcb's. How long does shipping the pcb usually take? I made my order over two weeks ago, but haven't seen anything yet. I emailed Dan, but he must be on Christmas vacation.

Two or three weeks is usual, but this is the holiday season, so all mail is taking longer.  Dan is in Canada, too, so if you are in the US that adds more time.

I am trying to be patient, but it has been a month since I sent my order in for the PCB. I have over $600 worth of parts sitting here waiting (that's a lot for me) and I can't get any response from Dany. I sent an email two weeks ago inquiring about delivery time, and also sent an email 2 days ago both have gone unanswered.

Edit: I just received an email from Dany in response to this post. All is well and he has assured me that everything is on its way. That's all I wanted. Thanks

Has anyone tried fitting one of Dany's PCBs in a TLM67? i would want to install Moby's BV.12 so I'd need to know if the AMI PCB would fit.

I don't have access to a TLM67. I'm considering buying one then coverting it down the road.

Delta Sigma said:
Has anyone tried fitting one of Dany's PCBs in a TLM67? i would want to install Moby's BV.12 so I'd need to know if the AMI PCB would fit.

I don't have access to a TLM67. I'm considering buying one then coverting it down the road.

I doubt that they fit as the SYT-5 body is quite different in size. But I'm not sure.
I have made PCB's almost identical to the orignal U67. I used them to use a U87 test head I acquired some time ago for cheap and built a U67 around the head... Later I used the same PCB to convert a TLM67.
As Mobys transformers  are identical to the vintage ones they fit my PCB's. I also used them in my builds.
Here are some pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i2P9C5U1xjLcMZqWRc-dmJocUzqyZ-l6?usp=sharing

I can send you some pictures of the finished units if you're interested.

deveng said:
doqmemory,

What body did you end up using?
I used Chunger's Budget-YT5 that I previously had Dan's D-87 in.  Now I have to find a home for the D-87 blue PCB.  I think it will fit in a Behringer B2-Pro body, if I shave off the sides and drill new screw mount holes.

If the nice SYT-5 bodies get back in stock, I will probably make another D-67, and/or a D-269c (point-to-point, since Dan no longer has the PCBs in stock).

doqmemory said:
I used Chunger's Budget-YT5 that I previously had Dan's D-87 in.  Now I have to find a home for the D-87 blue PCB.  I think it will fit in a Behringer B2-Pro body, if I shave off the sides and drill new screw mount holes.

If the nice SYT-5 bodies get back in stock, I will probably make another D-67, and/or a D-269c (point-to-point, since Dan no longer has the PCBs in stock).

the 67 pcb kit is up for order on his site though as far as i can see.

My PCB's showed up yesterday!

Just thought I'd share my build since it is a little unique. I am mounting my psu in a 1u rack enclosure because I had it. It looks like it will fit nicely in about half of the space available. In the future I am thinking that I will build a pre and stick it in the other half of the case. I just finished mounting all hardware and I was going to paint it, but first I think I will drill a honeycomb pattern in the top to vent some heat.

For those who are looking for a mic body, the cascade vx20 is not a great option. On the rails I had to modify the width and extend them about an inch, but the real problem is that the body tube diameter is too small. I took it to a machinist today and we came up with a plan that should only cost about $50. Hopefully it works out.

I was going to post a picture, but the attachment feature seems to be out of order.

Got the body back from the machinist this afternoon and spent some time with the dremel cutting slots for the switches. Upon first startup with the body installed there was a major hum. I thought for sure that I had done something wrong, but it turned out to be a bad mic cable from the psu to the preamp. Changed it out and now it's dead quiet. I tried an amperex bugle boy and a mullard (both nos) and they were both nice and quiet and neither were microphonic! Right now I have the amperex burning in, but it already sounds spectacular! I'll post a few pics of the mic in case anyone is interested in modding a similar body. In the end it was not too much work to make it fit. I had to modify the rails and have a machinist do a little work on the lathe. He only charged me $35.

I ended up needing to lower the value of the 56k resistor in order to reach 210vdc. all I had readily available was a 39.2k Dale 1/8 watt. It worked great , but I was wondering if 1/8w is enough? The recommendations I've seen call for 1/4w.

Put some waterslide decals on it tonight. They look OK. The inspiration for the name is a combination of the name of my studio, Rockharvester, and the name of the kit, D-67.

I doubt that they fit as the SYT-5 body is quite different in size. But I'm not sure.
I have made PCB's almost identical to the orignal U67. I used them to use a U87 test head I acquired some time ago for cheap and built a U67 around the head... Later I used the same PCB to convert a TLM67.
As Mobys transformers are identical to the vintage ones they fit my PCB's. I also used them in my builds.
Here are some pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i2P9C5U1xjLcMZqWRc-dmJocUzqyZ-l6?usp=sharing
I can send you some pictures of the finished units if you're interested.
Murdock your pcb's are exactly what i need to modify the two u397 i own for years and found useless and sterile. Is it possible that i can order you a couple of these ?

On this build i see a 0.01mfd in the HiZ part directly connected to the G1 pin on the tube (pin9) that i can't find on the original schematic ... i am confused a bit with it :(

Latest posts

Back