To White Market or not to White Market ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ungifted said:
JohnRoberts said:
Honestly I do not understand the attraction for kits these days. Back when I made a living from it, there was a real cost saving to buying a kit version of XYZ...

Kit save your time and money. Without knowledge of WHAT to buy and WHERE to buy you spend a lot of time and money. Try to collect BOM at farnell or mouser: ...mmm what type of caps I need? and what are the dimensions of these 1W resistors? TO220 or SOT? Oh I forgot to order those diodes... :)
Of course I am simplifying but let the people freedom at least not to etch the 250x160mm boards at home.

I've shared this story before, but for a mass produced product. I couldn't even buy the parts to sell my kit tape NR, for what DBX was selling units (assembled in Japan) for back in the '80s. Not because I didn't know how to buy parts, but because i wasn't buying 100k of each value at a time.

I kit knock off of a clone, may be cheaper than a clone, but even thinking about that makes me dizzy.

JR

PS; Could you angry guys take your argument off line, you are adding more noise than signal.

JohnRoberts said:
PS; Could you angry guys take your argument off line, you are adding more noise than signal.

This is what I wanted... Sorry... This is an awfull aspect of White Market... This is extreme but this is the way the forum is walking on slowly... And it just make me sad.

Only the people involved in the argument know the full details of the matter so I suggest allowing those individuals to settle it (or not) in whatever way they see fit. Arguing by proxy just confuses the issue.
Take the argument off-line.

Ethan said:
Only the people involved in the argument know the full details of the matter so I suggest allowing those individuals to settle it (or not) in whatever way they see fit. Arguing by proxy just confuses the issue.
Take the argument off-line.

Ok, but this won't solve anything... I'm just sad for the forum...

joaquins said:
I prefer to design my own layouts, but what I'm saying is if I design one layout I would share it so if someone likes it could use it or modify it if wants to.

For those who sell I have nothing to said. I don't feel I'm being stolen and I think they do a grate job for those who use it. I don't want to burder anyone.

What I'd like is to be more projects out there and not from those who sell but like audiox's Studer EQ and a lot more there are here. (I remember audiox because is the only I find for 500)
+1

That's interesting.
The way I see DIY, is really Do It Yoursel, not Solder It Yourself. But I've bought boards already made (4 times, and 3 are still empty). And I totally understand people who just want to solder their stuff to save money, even if it's not the first goal of DIY.
When I got time, I like to etch my own pcb when they're available. Take some time to do the search. When the PCB is not available for home etchers, I find picture of it, and create my "own" design.
And sometimes, when I really want to do something that can't be found, I take 3 mounth to work on it... Yes, DIY can take an eternity. SOmetimes, it would be easier to spend some money on a kit rather than doing all the BOM/PCB/Schematic search.
But I must be a crazy guy, because I love doing that (and can find time for it).
All my projects are about sharing, sending pm to guys that made me do it, sometimes you get a reply, sometimes you don't.
So 51x projet aren't open source? do your own! Really, because there's nothing better than designig stuff and sharing it.

sam system-d said:
joaquins said:
I prefer to design my own layouts, but what I'm saying is if I design one layout I would share it so if someone likes it could use it or modify it if wants to.

For those who sell I have nothing to said. I don't feel I'm being stolen and I think they do a grate job for those who use it. I don't want to burder anyone.

What I'd like is to be more projects out there and not from those who sell but like audiox's Studer EQ and a lot more there are here. (I remember audiox because is the only I find for 500)
+1

That's interesting.
The way I see DIY, is really Do It Yoursel, not Solder It Yourself. But I've bought boards already made (4 times, and 3 are still empty). And I totally understand people who just want to solder their stuff to save money, even if it's not the first goal of DIY.
When I got time, I like to etch my own pcb when they're available. Take some time to do the search. When the PCB is not available for home etchers, I find picture of it, and create my "own" design.
And sometimes, when I really want to do something that can't be found, I take 3 mounth to work on it... Yes, DIY can take an eternity. SOmetimes, it would be easier to spend some money on a kit rather than doing all the BOM/PCB/Schematic search.
But I must be a crazy guy, because I love doing that (and can find time for it).
All my projects are about sharing, sending pm to guys that made me do it, sometimes you get a reply, sometimes you don't.
So 51x projet aren't open source? do your own! Really, because there's nothing better than designig stuff and sharing it.

I would, at this time I'm making a mixer for a complete desk (a 500 slot by channel and a 51x) when I finish the mixer stage I will start a couple of 51X projects... See you then!

JS

I come to represent DIY noobs [edited]... Theres's a lot of fields and disciplines in this world, i think each one of us is free to decide where to go deep. My case is an example, im a musician and a producer, this is what i do for a living. I recently fell in love with the diy world and unfortunately i cant spend that much time learning about it, because if i dont work i wouldn't even have money to build anything.

Sometimes i feel the point is lost. I think everyone that has landed here and made something should be considered a diyer, maybe a beginner one, but still. I think the soul behind this is the notion that we can do it better than them (gear companies), that we want control, that we wont pay in excess for stuff.

What im, poorly, trying to say is that if this place hopes to grow as a community, it seems reasonable to have the white market because it makes things easier. It doesn't always mean that someone is lazy or not skilled, sometimes it has to do with cost/time. I live in f**king south america, do u guys know how hard is to source or get parts here?   
    It's amazing to me that we have noob friendly projects with full kits and build guides, and advanced projects where you're given only a schematic, a pcb and a bom if you're lucky.

I hope no one takes it the wrong way but i feel people need to realize some of the guys here just come for the gear, not for the knowledge. And who are we to judge? Here's where we sincerely ask ourselves if we want a community or a cult.

Luv u guys

Right, I too DIY started as a means to an end, I wanted better equipment to record. Nothing like the satisfaction of hearing an awesome record that you recorded and mixed on equipment you soldered and pieced together. No shame in just being here for the equipment, i mean thats the point isn't it? Thanks for sharing.

There are many different reasons for doing something....and many different consequences of doing them.

Somewhere there is a reasonable line drawn for what is acceptable to most of those involved....and i mean, it's not a static thing....it's constantly evolving. I think it's great that the forum remains fairly democratic. There's something here for almost everyone but the most lazy...or the most unrealistic.

Back