Slightly ill MD441

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference is illustrated in the service manual,
http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/sennheiser/md441-service-manual.html#.VMpmUEuZalK

Unfortunately, I can't recognize the better magnet among others. I simply try a good looking diaphragm on different magnets and test them while recording a pink noise from close distance. My healthy mics show flatter response (MD441, generally,  shows more bass, maybe because of proximity effect).

Attachments

• 1318EF0F678511D49CA6D061BC69E029630B480A005.png
    1318EF0F678511D49CA6D061BC69E029630B480A005.png
    93 KB · Views: 67
Can someone kindly confirm that, if it's Ok to bypass the coil ofter the capsule (the one you can see outside the magnet).
It will be a great help :-\

Aref said:
Can someone kindly confirm that, if it's Ok to bypass the coil ofter the capsule (the one you can see outside the magnet).

You are obviously talking about the humbucking-coil. It is not around the magnet, but a bit lower and the turns are the opposite direction from the voice- coil in order to suppress noise. Why would there be any need  to bypass that? The mic works without that too, but as the name says, it has a function as canceling noice that might appear or not depending on various factors.  MD441:s(especially the old ones)are not the hottest of mics and need a bit more gain anyway and you would not want any increase in the noice level.

panman said:
Aref said:

You are obviously talking about the humbucking-coil. It is not around the magnet, but a bit lower and the turns are the opposite direction from the voice- coil in order to suppress noise. Why would there be any need  to bypass that? The mic works without that too, but as the name says, it has a function as canceling noice that might appear or not depending on various factors.  MD441:s(especially the old ones)are not the hottest of mics and need a bit more gain anyway and you would not want any increase in the noice level.
Thanks for responding,
Yes, I meant exactly that coil. Apparently, there were problems with the high boost filter in my mics, which I bypassed with a wire (from diaphragms to the bass filters). I have to open the booster in order to reach the signal after that coil.
Today, I recorded some percussions with these mics and yes there were a bit "hisssy", although it was not a big deal with loud sources like drums.
please let me know if you have a better way to bypass filters after the hum compensation coil.
With respect

The hum cancelled by that coil ,up near the diaphragm, wrapped around the magnet structure but as Panman says a bit lower below the solder terminals, that coil will do well cancelling EMI from mains & lights and what not. 

I don't know why you would want to bypass that coil, if it's open it doesn't work, if it does then keep it, it would be very simple to rewind if it was open.

Sorry, maybe it's my bad english.... :(
I don't want to bypass that coil. I just want to bypass the filter.
Once, I opened the capsule, but found soldering the new wire to the coil before filter not so easy.
Should I detach it from the filter pcb or it's ok to solder it to the board itself?
I'm trying my best to not destroy it...
Thanks for helping me.

Back