Mic placement robot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not suitable for kick drum.
IMO it's aimed at persons who try to make the best(?) of ugly distorted sounds.
Mic placement of a mic in front of an amp has never been an issue for me, because the tone variation is continuous, so with experience, one knows almost instinctively where to place the mic, but placement inside a kick drum is more tedious and complex, because the tone varies less predictably and spillage from other elements too.
It's a nice product though. I wished I was capable of developing the smartphone app.

I agree with what abbey said. But still  want to try it on a few sources. Maybe even use it as a camera/time lapse stand.

Not so much for smartphone app. Momentary (on)-off-(on) toggle switched are better imo.

Visual feedback is also a must I believe.

Zander

This is a great project and it also would be really easy to make!
I wouldnt want visual feedback just to avoid "listening with the eyes". An arduino with wiFi/Bluetooth, some servos, sensors and mechanics etc and a smartphone app or a small program in your DAW for controls..

No need for arduinos,

Relay controled DC motors with ON-OFF-ON toggle switches would do the job. Just add limit switches and you're done for electronic part.

For mechanics, i would suggest to couple motor axis to a threaded bar (sorry if it's not the exact term, i'm just a frenchie) and that would be able to support most microphones.

Yeah i know, easy to write it on paper...

Who wants to go first? ;D

Thomas

abbey road d enfer said:
placement inside a kick drum is more tedious and complex, because the tone varies less predictably and spillage from other elements too.

can u send a pic or drawing for ur kick_drum robot...

totoxraymond said:
No need for arduinos,Relay controled DC motors with ON-OFF-ON toggle switches would do the job. Just add limit switches and you're done for electronic part. For mechanics, i would suggest to couple motor axis to a threaded bar (sorry if it's not the exact term, i'm just a frenchie) and that would be able to support most microphones.Yeah i know, easy to write it on paper...Who wants to go first? ;D  Thomas

Exactly what I was thinking. But I think belts will do too.

Wiring (from the web).
49646-260515165733-329413.gif

Here's a picture from the one Eric Valentine made:
49646-260515165733-3282487.png

Zander said:
Exactly what I was thinking. But I think belts will do too.

That would do for two axis, but for a vertical axis, you may have problems with fat microphones like Re20...

And i would want to try my Re20 with this kind of robot.

Thomas.

kambo said:
abbey road d enfer said:
placement inside a kick drum is more tedious and complex, because the tone varies less predictably and spillage from other elements too.

can u send a pic or drawing for ur kick_drum robot...
Please see attached; as I said, it's not finished yet.

Attachments

• robomic1.jpg
    robomic1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 32
i would  replace linear actuator with belt drive (1:1), with gearhead fitted from side...
and add carriage to move mic.  back-forward...
tilt is nice tho.
u could add another tilt at the carriage, with 1-2 rpm. gearhead...
i have so many spares, c if i get time to do something....

kambo said:
whats the length for arm should be ? (for kick drum)
I made it 500mm (20") long so it can move the mic front to back (not out). Also up/down and left/right with about +/- 30° rotation. The arm is attached to the tilt place with velcro so the plunge can be adjusted.
I based the kinematics on the traditional adjustment using a short stand with telescopic boom, which hopefully would make it compatible with most kick drums.
Now a fresh rethinking would suggest a built-in system using a different approach; I would think a polar coordinate system (360° axial rotation, variable radius and depth) would be better suited to a drum.
I have rejected the use of a standard robotic arm, which would seem to be the easy way, because of the cost of one that has the capacity for a heavy mic such as an RE20.

Back