Experience-based best speaker for a sub kick mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atticmike

Howdy fellas,

I'd like to know by your experience what the best speaker for a sub kick mic there is?

People chose the NS 10, yet there must be better choices considering they're not the "best" but rather the most hyped for edgy monitoring, weird choice for a sub kick.

Mike

I've heard the NS-10 woofer was chosen because of the 60Hz bottom frequency. The same frequency often used to boost kick "thump." This may all be speculation, but a similar bottom frequency (between 40Hz and 60Hz) should get you some serious bottom.

From my own experiences of building four different kinds, I say use a speaker with a rubber surround (not paper like a guitar speaker). It will react to transients better that way. My favorite sub kick speaker so far has been a 4-inch woofer taken from a Roland keyboard. You will need a balanced 20dB pad installed in the sub kick, if your mixer/preamps can't take the high output of the speaker/mic.

-James-

I've built one out of a bucket and a 10" woofer. I chose the woofer because the frequency response had really good low end. I always filter out everything above 100Hz-200Hz otherwise it sounds muddy/boxy. You just want it to pick up that extra thump in the sub bass frequencies.

Latest posts

Back