Renter's Insurance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

Any folks here rent the place they run their studio from?    I run mine out of the apartment I rent, and i need to get some recommendations on Renter's Insurance in case something happens.  Thanks, guys!

I used "the good hands" in apartments and now have a damage/liability policy with The Hartford (through Allstate).
Most importantly is to make sure that you are covered if you are using the equipment for business.  The standard renter's policy will cover a big TV and gaming system, but not a bench full of test gear or rack of audio equipment.  That requires a commercial rider or separate policy.  If it is only a studio then you will need a commercial policy.  A claims adjuster will know the difference.
Definitely a necessity in an apartment because you never know when someone above will flood their place, theft, spikes, etc.  Go to two agents and you should have two close quotes.  Some advertise in Mix or Tape Op.
Mike

> make sure that you are covered if you are using the equipment for business

Near here, a barn with loft burned down.

In the investigation it was found that the owner sometimes did art paintings up in the loft as a hobby, and sold one once. "Business!! Not Covered!"

In the end, they paid some, but it was an awful lot of fight for $300 of "business".

I think you need to call it a home office. A home office is usually covered under residential insurance. I'm guessing you don't have two bands a day loading in and out. If it's mostly you working in your space it really is a home office.

Awesome, thanks guys.  it should probably be called a home office.  I gotta find an agent and just ask them directly.  hopefully it won't cost more than 25-30 per month to cover all my gear.

Back