Alctron "MK47"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few weeks ago I saw this mic on taobao selling under the name mk47.
It was the kit but I would love someone to bring it in just as an unmarked body.

http://www.lugbuy.com/alctron-creates-the-mk47-classic-gold-plated-large-diaphragm-tube-condenser-microphone-recording-microphone-membrane-p_16113285954.html

...Johnny Kubelka ("Tube Tests" series on youtube) had one of those Alctron MK47 mics for evaluation, and ended up selling it on eBay for close to a grand...looked impressive, but it wasn't inexpensive...appears similar to the Equinox body...

Attachments

• mk47c.01.jpg
    mk47c.01.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 376
Gee, it didn't take long for them to release Skylar's design...  :eek:  I wonder if that's actually what it is... ? 

Ptownkid said:
It's not quite the same as Skylar's if that's what you're getting at.

How so?  From the pic it looks the same.  Maybe they modified the bottom connector or something...  I mean the same materials and everything, from the picture...  :(

Hi,
judging from the number of posts, some of you might not know how Skylar and now Alctron came to this U47 body. In short, he gathered all the information needed from this forum, lots of people contributed for more than two years to get Skylar make the body, he founded a company to sell them to the members here. Initially he had problems with the build quality, then he found another manufacture, the price went up (too high for my taste), There were rumours that Skylar let the body built by a chinese company. Now the company itself sells the bodies. I thinks, that´s a sad example how the spiriit of DIY was exploited comercially. The whole story has left a sour taste for me. Think what you want.
regards
Bernd

tommypiper said:
Ptownkid said:

How so?  From the pic it looks the same.  Maybe they modified the bottom connector or something...  I mean the same materials and everything, from the picture...  :(

The connector looks different...but it could be the same body. I'm really not sure...

Ptownkid said:
tommypiper said:
Ptownkid said:

The connector looks different...but it could be the same body. I'm really not sure...

If Skylar copied Neumann and Alctron copied Neumann, the end results should look similar.  The original Neumann had three vertical ribs at 120 degrees to each other.  Skylar has only two at 180 degrees.  The one in the pictures above appears to have three separated by 90 degrees.

David

I saw this mic on ebay cheap but not sure if its actualy any good or if id be better just building my own DIY U47 from parts mentioned on this site.

Old thread,
just to let you know that it seems quite a reasonable price for the whole package

ET7eNzSh.png

Back