Replacing Caps with Higher Voltage or Value

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maliq

Hey Folks, damn I wish I would have more time to go back to soldering but i'm so bussy with mixing and producing other people that Time is rare.

Many Questions about Caps, soldering and all that stuff has been answered, and I stored many facts, answers and pictures on my computer so i can always recall things if Questions arrive.

One Question that is very important to me is still left: If I replace a Cap (lets say 0.47uF 63V) with a Higher Value (like 0.47uf 100V) what can happen?

1: It might cause Damage to the Cap / Microphone
2: Nothing much will happen, nothing to worrie about
3: It might affect the Sound depending on the Cap I Replace / Frequencywise or Volume

If some of you guys can clearify this for me once and for all, I will feel better to start soldering again.

Thank you..I love this Forum.. :)

#2, as long as it fits the space you're good to go.

(Theoretically non-linearities / distortion will be comparably lower for the higher voltage rating if you replace with the exact same dielectric type but differences will be minuscule at best and barely measurable if at all...)

Going up with voltage value, you don't risk anything. Capacitor will live longer. Worse with going down with voltage value.
The voltage value on caps says only what's the maximum load. If you have for example 35V at this point of circuit and your capacitor will be for 100V, it will be there only 35V (in very simplified explaination).
With capacitance values it's not so easy, so if You don't know well what You're doing - don't do  it :)

Back