Red Bull Stratos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old guy sitting in the "Mission Control" type setting, they mention he is Joe Kittinger. 

Here he is in 1960:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfdC7U_mgQ

To me, for 1960, that is nuts....  The guy attempting it today is attempting so with the help of an amazing man.  I think it's awesome that he brought Kittinger in as a consultant.

yet hardly anyone knows Joe Kittinger.  I didnt, until the soundguy tipped me off some years ago.  :)

ju

I believe it has been confirmed now that he broke the speed of sound too.

I think it's fantastic! The video of him jumping from the capsule that took him up gives me shivers. Just like the shot of Kittinger doing the previous jump all those years ago.  I've loved the story of Joe Kittinger since being a little kid. It's fantastic that he was able to mentor Baumgartner this time round - in his eighties!

The spirit of adventure lives on...

Marketing, maybe.  But they're basically testing the next-gen astronaut suit, which would allow astronauts to exit crafts from super high altitudes and safely return to earth. 

I'd do the jump....in a heartbeat. :D :D Looks like major fun...

Good point too...about astro guys...simply jumping back onto earth.

Moving that fast in free air is not trivial... > mach 1... 

You leave your fly open and bad things could happen down there from the draft.

Glad he is OK, but they have been testing the technology and ramping up to that altitude.

10 minutes... is a nice long ride down.

Who landed the balloon?

JR

Who landed the balloon?

As soon as Felix hitted ground, Ground Control cutted a rope on that Helium balloon so for it to escape.
And the Thing came slowly down to hearth with the help of a parachute.

Again  :eek:, you clearly see that fug building up in his Helmet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_wMfxotAs

mulletchuck said:
Marketing, maybe.  But they're basically testing the next-gen astronaut suit, which would allow astronauts to exit crafts from super high altitudes and safely return to earth.
That's the excuse the mktg department has found to counter the objections of those who are hurt by this megalomaniac waste (I am!).
Even the bona fide scientists involved in the project confessed that they are motivated by fun and excitement.
If I was an astronaut, I wouldn't rely on this single experiment; this type of equipment is tested over months and months.
I don't drink RB nor any energy beverage; I don't want to die like Scott Chinery.

That's the excuse the mktg department has found to counter the objections of those who are hurt by this megalomaniac waste (I am!).
[/quote]

well isn't almost all space exploration just that anyway? the Nasa mars mission are are pretty much the same, no? not that we are going to find anything unknown like a wonder mineral on mars promising to solve our energy crisis and send some deep space mining exploitation company in the near (read <10'000 years) future to get it to earth and save our planet....

I find the stunt (that's what I would call it) was cool, and the PR was well organized, still doesn't make me drink their stuff, uggghhh. caffeine is in real coffee.

- michael

JohnRoberts said:
Moving that fast in free air is not trivial... > mach 1... 

Actually, he commented that he couldn't tell how fast he was going...because there was no reference to base it on.
The free spin didn't look all that fun....as there's obviously minimal air to leverage yourself against for stability. But it's one hell of a jump tho....and to have the experience of literally jumping back onto the earth and seeing it from that height? Nice...

I never got into those energy drinks. Seems to go hand in hand with UFC....and when i hear of people drinking 8 of them a day i wonder how much liver damage it's causing. Personally, i didn't pay any attention to the marketing.

desol said:
....and when i hear of people drinking 8 of them a day i wonder how much liver damage it's causing.

Don't be fooled by the marketing. Flavored sugar and caffeine is all it is. Leaves the liver alone but along with a proper junk diet it gives you diabetes. caffeine has mostly positive effects. up to a point, and then you no longer sleep enough (and that will slowly kill you).

audiomixer said:
well isn't almost all space exploration just that anyway? the Nasa mars mission are are pretty much the same, no?
It seems the latest mission gave enormously important info on the formation of Mars, that helps understanding all sorts of things related to Big Bang. Maybe it's disinformation, I don't know, I'm not an expert.
I find the stunt (that's what I would call it) was cool, and the PR was well organized
Well, it doesn't awe me... I remember, I was a kid, I saw "the Flying Abbott". He was a real priest, dived from 45 meters (150ft) into a tiny waterhole; all the money went to his parish paying for vacations for the kids. This I admire.

They should have given him a camel pack filled with red bull for his jump. he could have been the 1st man to chug red bull while skydiving back to earth from outer space.

My electronics professor helped to design a part of the more modern space suits. Since the arms are so heavy and hard to move around one can hardly tell how well they are doing with working with tools. It was hard to tell if you were getting a phillips head or a socket on top of a bolt or screw. Your arms cant bend very well in the suit. a contact mic was added to the glove that helped to detected the correct frequency of a working motorized screwdriver or ratchet driver. When the tool was working properly ie turning the screw or nut it could be detected this way. This technology was also added to some helicopters to tell how far along the rotor was in it's life. They found a frequency that could be picked up that was common before the rotor went bad. 

CONTACT MICS.. IN SPACE.

Latest posts

Back