Enchilada's Mic Builds - U47 /U47FET Comparison!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
letterbeacon said:
That looks great!  What do you mean by 'shaved'?  Would you be able to tell us what was involved in making the body?

When I say shaved, I'm just using micaddict's vernacular. I got a piece of galvanised 60mm tube for free from a steel place and had it machined by an engineer. He took 2.5mm off the outside and copied the ends of the original body so it would be a perfect fit. It cost me $30 so I think it was worth it.

Enchilada said:
It was galvanised pipe but when it was machined they took off the gal. Not stainless though. I thought about nickel but there's nobody locally who can do it and I don't want to have to send it away.

You might want to search for something like  "galvanized steel msds"
IMO it is a good thing to search for the MSDS before machining, drilling, cutting etc materials. 

If using corrosive steel, do you need to treat the inside, too? Not for looks obviously, but to prevent any possible future problems (like rust dust on the electronics)?

There's nothing hazardous about gal pipe. As I said earlier though, I didn't do the work. I had an engineer do it. Also, I won't have to treat the inside because it's still galvanised.

Enchilada said:
There's nothing hazardous about gal pipe. As I said earlier though, I didn't do the work. I had an engineer do it. Also, I won't have to treat the inside because it's still galvanised.

Are you sure?  have you looked up machining it and the dust/metal particles?

IIRC There was a post in a thread with someone using a chop saw to cut G10  read the MSDS

Read about what gasses and fumes are released machining some plastics if they get over heated

Teflon has issues
http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/archive/burning-teflon__o_t__t_38325.html

People with the web and search engines finding MSDS's and also typing in how to machine and/or safely issues is something IMO one should do before cutting a material.

Shock mount arrived today  8)

DSC_0004531x800.jpg

Received four EF800 tubes and my AMI T47 from Oliver in the mail today, let the fun begin! Oliver was even nice enough to throw in an EF80 tube for me to try out, what a champ.

My Bees Neez M7 is also in the post but should only take a couple of days seeing as I'm in Australia. I'll build the circuit tonight with the EF800 and an RK47 capsule for comparison purposes and then I'll get some samples up when the M7 arrives. With some luck my EF14 and EF12 might also turn up this week and I can compare all the tubes.

IMAG0536.jpg

This transformer looks and feels of fantastic build quality. The best thing about it so far for me is that I assumed I would have to cut a hole in my PCB to mount it but I won't because the pins are below the windings  8).

micaddict said:
Yep, both the T47 and T67 (as opposed to the BV8 and BV12 respectively) are "PCB mounted" versions.
A lot less expensive, too.

I knew it was PCB mounted but other PCB mount transformers I've seen that are PCB mount need a hole cut and I assumed wrongly that this was the same design.

I'm heading out to the studio with my friend Lauren on Thursday to record comparisons between this mic (with an RK47 and an EF800), both of my Royer modded MXL 2001 (one with an RK12 and one with an RK47) and my C12 clone with Tim's CT12 capsule.

I removed the two inner layers of mesh from the headbasket of my C12 clone tonight so hopefully that will open up the sound a little more.

Latest posts

Back