Enchilada's Mic Builds - U47 /U47FET Comparison!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the two inner layers of mesh from the headbasket of my C12 clone tonight so hopefully that will open up the sound a little more.

There's no doubt in my mind it will.

Did you take pictures as you were going?

Bugger! I forgot to take photos of the headbasket removal. It's fairly straight forward though. I just used a flat tip screwdriver. The inner two layers of mesh are only soldered at two points.

I'll make sure I take photos along the way with my U47 inspired mic.

Enchilada said:
I'm heading out to the studio with my friend Lauren on Thursday to record comparisons between this mic (with an RK47 and an EF800), both of my Royer modded MXL 2001 (one with an RK12 and one with an RK47) and my C12 clone with Tim's CT12 capsule.

Great news, I really want to hear diiferences between "U47" and your C12 clone, just starting the C12 clone myself. Also Interested hearing the M7 in the future!

I removed the two inner layers of mesh from the headbasket of my C12 clone tonight so hopefully that will open up the sound a little more.
Any tips on how you got them out? They look like they are soldered in on my apex 460 headbasket

[quote author=dmp]
Any tips on how you got them out? They look like they are soldered in on my apex 460 headbasket
[/quote]
They are only soldered at two points. I used a small flat tip screwdriver and first pushed the mesh away from the lip that goes around the inside of the headbasket. Then I used wire cutters to cut around the solder joint. The result is quite clean. I was worried because I had heard of people using a Dremel to remove the mesh but it's really not necessary with this mic.

I didn't remove the mesh from the top of the headbasket because it looked to be soldered all the way around and I didn't think it would have much of an effect on the sound.

EDIT: I'll post photos of the headbasket today.

I've somehow managed to acquire the oldest looking EF14 tube on the planet! Despite its looks, it tested very good. I'm hoping the fact that it's glass won't negatively impact the sound of the tube. The socket hasn't arrived yet so I might have to solder wires directly because I'm that impatient.

Looks like my test with Lauren on Thursday will be with my Beesneez M7 capsule, EF14 tube and AMI T47 transformer  ;D

IMAG0538.jpg

Started putting it together, just waiting for a few resistors before I wire it all together properly :). As is my usual style, not the cleanest build but it will work.

DSC_0006800x531.jpg

DSC_0007800x531.jpg

Dylan W said:
Looks great, nice snag on the EF14. Expecting a shootout!  ;)

Dylan

Thanks mate, I'm heaps keen to hear the shootout. Even though they're in different circuits it''ll be good to hear expensive capsules vs cheaper options. My console is out of order for now (rebuilding the power supply) so I'll record them through my SPL preamps.

I might even do it as a blind shootout and make it into a game of "guess the mic", I've always wanted to host a blind shootout. :p

with all the information on the web why did you mount the tube so far away from the capsule?

Does it really make that big a difference with noise? I put the tube down the bottom because the rails are closer together. It made it easier to mount the both the PCB and the tube.

The C12 had plenty of distance between the capsule and the grid. I'll be using some teflon wire which will help.

Beesneez capsule arrived  ;D ;D ;D

I love the way it is packaged! Brass tube with nylon (I think) ends. The capsule is mounted on the bottom nylon plug and it looks amazing! I'll take photos of the capsule with my DSLR when I get home.

IMAG0539.jpg

Resistors all arrived today too. Soldered them all in and also replaced the output cap with a big fat polypropylene one. Haven't fired it up yet, I'll do that tonight.

Enchilada said:
Beesneez capsule arrived  ;D ;D ;D

I love the way it is packaged! Brass tube with nylon (I think) ends. The capsule is mounted on the bottom nylon plug and it looks amazing! I'll take photos of the capsule with my DSLR when I get home.

IMAG0539.jpg
Aaaaaaahhh I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get mine, I'll be looking forward to those pics. That packaging is definitely unique looking.

Enchilada said:
Does it really make that big a difference with noise? I put the tube down the bottom because the rails are closer together. It made it easier to mount the both the PCB and the tube.

The C12 had plenty of distance between the capsule and the grid. I'll be using some teflon wire which will help.

Yes.

-James-

Here's a little shootout. Unfortunately, the U47 clone is not yet ready so it will not be competing this time around :-(.

Let's proceed. We have one C12 circuit with a CT12 capsule and two Royer circuits with RK12 and RK47 capsules. I have listed the mics in alphabetical order so as not to give anything away although I think it's fairly easy to tell which mic is which.

http://soundcloud.com/fat-wombat/sets/lauren-carlson-teenage-dream

This will be a semi-blind test because I've attached which mic was which in a text file if you want to know. Have a guess first though  ;).

Attachments

• Results.txt
    95 bytes · Views: 58
Back