Enchilada's Mic Builds - U47 /U47FET Comparison!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ioaudio said:
Ohm's law - the heater draws much more power from B+ (~50mA) than the anode(~0,55mA) so your psu must be able to supply 105v @ 50ma!

best,
max

At the moment I'm using a Chinese power supply which supplies a 6.3V heater. I might try a voltage tripler and see if the PSU can handle it.

Spent some time with this mic at the studio tonight and it sounds pretty great to my ears especially with vocals up close. It is quite noisy though. I've moved the tube to now be above the PCB as opposed to it being under to shorten the distance between the capsule and grid and it seems to be more noisy now than it was before. I've also gone back to the EF14 because I want to give it a good run-in before I judge it too harshly

Anyway... I'll try to get out to the studio again this weekend and record a couple of comparisons between the U47 inspired mic and the Royer with an RK47/

Again, stay tuned...

HellfireStudios said:
Shortening the leads shouldn't ever cause more noise, unless you inadvertently got something dirty during the move...

-James-

The tube isn't socketed and I've directly soldered the wires onto it so that probably isn't helping. I've bought a socket now and also 100m of silver plated teflon wire so I'll replace all the cheap Jaycar wire I have in there and socked the tube to see if that reduces noise.

I recorded a quick demo song with my U47 inspired mic tonight. I've applied pitch correction to my voice so as not to make anybody's ears bleed, 1176 compression, 100Hz pass filter, lifted the highs above 10KHz a little to give it a little more air.

Overall though, I'm fairly happy with the result seeing as it's rare for me to find a useful mic for my voice IMO.

***WARNING*** Christian lyrics - the vocal starts after a 45 second piano intro.
http://soundcloud.com/kris-osullivan/u47-ef80-beeznees-m7-test

Something tells me that this will go well with my Dale M7 when it arrives  ;D

IMG_20121202_135715.jpg

Nice demo. I enjoyed that.
The low notes at the beginning are A (110 Hz) so the high pass at 100 Hz makes sense, especially if you fear rumble and such.
I'm not sure if I would prefer the added air to the flat track, but without the latter it's hard to to be sure, of course.
Anyway, thanks for posting. Always nice to hear the actual things in action.  :)

micaddict said:
Nice demo. I enjoyed that.
The low notes at the beginning are A (110 Hz) so the high pass at 100 Hz makes sense, especially if you fear rumble and such.
I'm not sure if I would prefer the added air to the flat track, but without the latter it's hard to to be sure, of course.
Anyway, thanks for posting. Always nice to hear the actual things in action.  :)

I'll post a flat version for comparison purposes.

Nice track, a lot of hiss when the mic comes in, have read through this thread but not seen any photos of pcb and list of components and what schematic your working from?
I am also looking into finding a good low noise pentode for this build.
apparently the 6922 in parallel is good to use for the U47?

I have a U67 built already and im really happy with how it sounds but didnt want to use the EF86 for the U47 build as i have heard it has too much middle frequency.
I also am build the U47 FET, just waiting for some new bodies to be made that im building based around the U47 body but with interchangable headbasket which will have a U67 head as well.

It's been far too long between builds!

So I've put in an order with element14 to build myself a U47 fet with my Alctron body and a Dale's capsule B-)

Spencerleehorton said:
Nice track, a lot of hiss when the mic comes in, have read through this thread but not seen any photos of pcb and list of components and what schematic your working from?
I am also looking into finding a good low noise pentode for this build.
apparently the 6922 in parallel is good to use for the U47?

I have a U67 built already and im really happy with how it sounds but didnt want to use the EF86 for the U47 build as i have heard it has too much middle frequency.
I also am build the U47 FET, just waiting for some new bodies to be made that im building based around the U47 body but with interchangable headbasket which will have a U67 head as well.

Sorry bud, I missed this post. I designed and etched my own PCB from the schematic over at AMI. I've got a couple of those pentodes but the trick is being able to supply enough current to the heater.

I'vve almost completed my U47 FET build. When I'm done I'll post a comparison between it and the AMI inspired U47.

Here it is! The long awaited comparison between my U47 and my U47FET. A little Pultec, a little 1176, a touch of reverb and a GSSL on the bus. Both takes use my Alctron MP-100 pre (essentially a UA twin finity) with 100% tube. Don't hate on Lauren's singing. She was ill when we recorded these.

First thing I notice, the U47FET is far quieter than the U47. I've etched the PCB for the 47 myself but I'm thinking of scrapping it and re-doing it over air to try and get the noise down. Tried a few different tubes and that didn't help with noise so I put it down to the PCB.

Overall, I'm happy with the sound of both of them. The U47 sounds fuller and creamier to my ears while the 47FET sounds more aggressive and present. As a reminder, the U47 uses a Beesneez M7 capsule and the 47FET is using the Cathedral Pipes M7 capsule.

Which do you guys prefer?

https://soundcloud.com/fat-wombat/poker-face-u47
https://soundcloud.com/fat-wombat/poker-face-u47-fet

Enchilada said:
Here it is! The long awaited comparison between my U47 and my U47FET. A little Pultec, a little 1176, a touch of reverb and a GSSL on the bus. Both takes use my Alctron MP-100 pre (essentially a UA twin finity) with 100% tube. Don't hate on Lauren's singing. She was ill when we recorded these.

First thing I notice, the U47FET is far quieter than the U47. I've etched the PCB for the 47FET myself but I'm thinking of scrapping it and re-doing it over air to try and get the noise down. Tried a few different tubes and that didn't help with noise so I put it down to the PCB.

Overall, I'm happy with the sound of both of them. The U47 sounds fuller and creamier to my ears while the 47FET sounds more aggressive and present. As a reminder, the U47 uses a Beesneez M7 capsule and the 47FET is using the Cathedral Pipes M7 capsule.

Which do you guys prefer?

https://soundcloud.com/fat-wombat/poker-face-u47
https://soundcloud.com/fat-wombat/poker-face-u47-fet

Thanks for taking the time to do this , Great Song , GReat Voice , Great Guy sitting on the desk,  i would be really curious to hear the BZ in the 47 FET also,

from my own experience I found  that the 47 capsule in the FET 47 rendered better the colour of the 47FET,

First thing I notice, the U47FET is far quieter than the U47. I've etched the PCB for the 47FET myself but I'm thinking of scrapping it and re-doing it over air to try and get the noise down.

Do you mean that you etch your 47 board cause etching the 47FET pcb would rather be tough  ;),

best,
Dan ,

poctop said:
Do you mean that you etch your 47 board cause etching the 47FET pcb would rather be tough  ;)

Lolz, imagine doing the 47FET over air  :eek:

I've edited my post. Cheers mate. If I get really bored one weekend I might switch the capsules but no promises.

Latest posts

Back