Apogee AD8000 DA converter chip

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mata_haze

Hello everybody,
I have the above mentioned interface with a DACVIII (8 channels DA card) installed and a DIGI 8+ to use with protools.
its a fantastic converter but the DACVIII it's a bit problematic. one of the DA chips (which handles 2 channels) is gone bad for the second time and apogee wont repair it in warranty (6 months after I gave them some good money...) so I am tempted to do it myself.
only problem (apart from being SMD) is that all the chips are scrubbed off so it's impossible to see what they are...

anybody has an idea? I can provide pics although there isn't much to see....

Mattia.

There is no way around getting that info from Apogee. Which is not easy.

I like their converters too, but their service and the repair'ability of the hardware is so poor that we stopped using them in our studios some years ago.

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
There is no way around getting that info from Apogee. Which is not easy.

I like their converters too, but their service and the repair'ability of the hardware is so poor that we stopped using them in our studios some years ago.

Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob, I see.
I found this thread where there is a mention on it... I wonder if it is correct..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=7032.msg153730#msg153730

Mattia.

MatthisD said:
Did Apogee say that they replaced the DA chip when they repaired it before? heres a thread with mention of AD8000se but not the DAC-8;

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/542009-audio-interfaces-their-ad-da-chips-listed.html

you could check for DC voltages on a working chip and compare to pinouts of likely DA chips.

yes, this is indeed what happen. I am keen on doing it myself and I guess it could be done. does the AD8000se differ from the "normal" DA8000 ? I mean does it have a different DAC ?
not sure how to simply compare voltages here, it looks a bit more complicated than that...

Mattia.

EDIT:
I am looking closely to the board now and can guarantee it's an AKM semiconductor. 24 VSOP package (or similar) the type has 4 numbers, starts and end with 4...
by looking at the table here my guess would be AKM 4364

http://akm.com/prod-dac.asp

any opinion?

Mattia.

MatthisD said:
I'm not familiar with it but the SE or special edition and is described as having an upgraded analog section so the AD/DA chips are probably the same in each version. How many pins does it have? I've seen a photo of a DACVIII in which I've counted 24 pins for what looks like the DAC but only two chips, are there two more on the other side of the card? also is there a date printed on the card?

it has 24 pins indeed, here is the picture:

IMG_1079_zps2596e5ed.jpg

the card has 4x DAC chips, 1 every 2 channels, 2 on each side of the board.

Mattia.

Ps Love these convertors I got the same ones. Wish i could help with the type of chip, but I know the inputs are DC coupled, maybe the outputs are too then? Just something to think about if it is the actual chips that are getting fried... (phantom power?)

Analog Devices AD1851 !

I replaced one AKM A/D on my AD8000, which i bought for cheap due to the fact that inputs 7/8 were not working. 350 bucks !  It has the DACVII, ambus AES and DIGI8 cards.

I even replaced it without proper SMD tools, using old guerilla techniques to desolder the AKM a/d

I love my apogee. I use it both as A/D and D/A connected via AES to my Aurora16

I found spare akm chips here : www.utsource.net

Enjoy

Best regards

I don't think ist an AKM AK4364 - asymetric analog output, 2000 vintage.

I found AK4324 that seems a better mach: symetric output, 1997 vintage, better agreement with the layout of chip arking position. you might trace the power lines to check futher. there is a nice 'spit on chip method' to enhance contrast when checking scratched chips, that might help further.

hope you find more ;-)

- cheers,

michael

audiomixer said:
I don't think ist an AKM AK4364 - asymetric analog output, 2000 vintage.

I found AK4324 that seems a better mach: symetric output, 1997 vintage, better agreement with the layout of chip arking position. you might trace the power lines to check futher. there is a nice 'spit on chip method' to enhance contrast when checking scratched chips, that might help further.

hope you find more ;-)

- cheers,

michael

HI Michael,
I have tried spit on chip method and I think the 4324 will probably be the right one, I am ordering and try, will report back!

thank you for your help!!!

Mattia.

chips received (I had to buy 5 so if this works I have a some spares if anybody needs them), I am going to replace them in december during xmas brake...yes this is how busy the studio is... ;D

Mattia.

I know this is old, but there was never a follow up on whether that was the correct part number or not.  I am currently having issues with my DACVIII card and this would help me out if it was successful. 

mata_haze said:
chips received (I had to buy 5 so if this works I have a some spares if anybody needs them), I am going to replace them in december during xmas brake...yes this is how busy the studio is... ;D

Mattia.

Hello Mattia, were you ever able to repair your AD8000?
Did the AK4324 chips work?

Thanks

hi,
I could not repair the AD8000 as the PSU  kept on  having problems.
I gave  up and sold  it for spares.
the chips  are the correct ones tho.
If  anyone needs them I have a few left.

Matt

Back