Behringer B-2 Pro, U67, SYT-5 bodies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micaddict

A while ago I posted some pictures of two different versions B-2 Pro (not B-2 which was cardioid only), along with a U67 for comparison.
It happened in a feeler thread regarding useable bodies for poctop's DU67 PCB. It seems that thread was removed altogether.
Last week a fellow member PM-ed me to ask if I could re-post the Behringer pictures.
It was a selection from quite a few pictures I took and I'm not sure if this selection is the same. But it should give an idea.

DSC02657.jpg

DSC02658.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

Interior pictures next.

Poctop has confirmed that the B2 pro is too small for the U67 project.  Shame, as these are deffinately the closest looking/sized mics to both the 87 & 67 and easy to pick up cheap on the second hand market.

It's too small for the final DU67 PCB.

I guess he could have made a fitting PCB and tranny space for the B-2 Pro (it's only marginally smaller than the U67), but he chose the SYT-5. The latter is even bigger than the U67, it has a more "convincing" looking head basket and it has the convenience of a 7-pin XLR.

For a U87 knock-off, the Behringer would have even better odds. No tube space (or superfluous battery compartment), smaller tranny, 3-pin XLR.

Older and newer version of the B-2 Pro.

The older one had a detachable head (like the U67/87), somewhat larger PCB's, a thinner body sleeve and a no aluminum connector part.

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02494.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02493.jpg

REVERSED ORDER:

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

When I received my SYT-5 or "D-U67 body" last week it immediately struck me that the metalwork and finish in particular were very much like the Behringer B2 Pro. So I put them side by side and yup; virtually the same.

Then it hit me that, although the SYT-5 is a lot bigger, the amount of taper seemed to be the same, too. What is more, the widest end of the Behringer body sleeve seemed to have the same diameter as the narrowest end of SYT-5 body sleeve.
So I took both apart and put the big sleeve on the table, wide end down, and then put the small sleeve on top of that. Not quite unlike what I did with my earliest building toys as a two-year old LOL. Those were conical too, albeit made from plastic. Anyway, guess what; exact fit. Both regarding shape and finish. It looks like one long cone that was cut in two pieces.

Interesting, no? It also reminds me of the remark that the SYT-5 body is relatively pricey because of the special machining of the body sleeve. When I first read that it already struck me as odd, since e.g. a complete, conically shaped Behringer B2 Pro microphone including 34 mm K67 capsule, electronics, accessories and case is only 111 euros. And should the SYT-5 in fact be cut from the very same cone, this argument seems extra debatable.
Please bear in mind that I don't write this to put down chunger (or ChuckD for that matter) in any way. It's what the Chinese manufacturer is said to have stated. And I don't blame the latter for trying to get the best price for their product. Just saying that their argument there might not be so strong.

But most of all, I enjoyed the experiment. I'm a sucker for things that match. 

And yes, I'm happy with my SYT-5.  :) Thanks again, chunger.

I took pictures yesterday and I will post them this week.

Here are the pictures.

First the two side by side:

DSC02853_zpscb5e83f5.jpg

Then the Behringer sleeve on top of the SYT-5 sleeve. I took several with slightly varying lighting, in an attempt to show the strikingly similar patina of the finish. And the production dates are years apart (this is the older B-2 Pro version).

DSC02850_zpsb69db74b.jpg

DSC02849_zps1a628e56.jpg

DSC02848_zpseaff4a8b.jpg

DSC02847_zps3d731c20.jpg

As you can hopefully see, the two combined form an almost perfect cone. The only minimal discrepancy lies in the missing metal due to the saw kerf and smoothing of the ends.

Behringer from Beijing 797 Audio. SYT-5 from ShuaiYin? I'm lost.  :-\

BTW, The B-2 Pro is smaller and the SYT-5 is bigger than a U67/87. But if we start at the situation before the cut, there's actually a part that does very closely approach the actual real U67/87 size.

I had a real u87 on my hands and a SYT-5 too but didnt notice the difference.
I think the Behringer are great for DIY...
Thanks

This post made me wonder if there is an even bigger mic body out there somewhere... And a smaller one as well I guess.

micaddict said:
It also reminds me of the remark that the SYT-5 body is relatively pricey because of the special machining of the body sleeve. When I first read that it already struck me as odd, since e.g. a complete, conically shaped Behringer B2 Pro microphone including 34 mm K67 capsule, electronics, accessories and case is only 111 euros. And should the SYT-5 in fact be cut from the very same cone, this argument seems extra debatable.
Please bear in mind that I don't write this to put down chunger (or ChuckD for that matter) in any way. It's what the Chinese manufacturer is said to have stated. And I don't blame the latter for trying to get the best price for their product. Just saying that their argument there might not be so strong.

And yes, I'm happy with my SYT-5.  :) Thanks again, chunger.

I admit I had the same thoughts, but figured it was the size.??? The headbasket is a lot different on the SYT-5 though.

(and yes, I'm happy with it too!)

Latest posts

Back