running 500 series module using hack methods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I dont think Igors revolver or rackit 2 is coming out any soon, so I would like to do a hack job at getting a 500 series module running.

I have one of those blue 500 series 15 pin sockets to connect my 500 series module to.

How easy would it be to get my module running?

Could I simply buy a 16v dc power adaptor, cut off the tip and connect the + and ground to the blue socket where it sais + and ground (don't know what the -16 does??) and then solder some wires to a male and female XLR socket?

Do I need to buy a special power adaptor to run this unit??

Any links to what I would need would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks guys.

I want to use it for any 16volt modules that I have.

The Chameleon one looks great but out of my budget.

Anyone tried Igors Rackit 1 build? Can I just use a 16 volts adaptor with the Rackit like the Chameleon does with its 500 series rack?

I have realised that I need to focus back on music this year.  :)

To answer your question you need a bipolar power supply, one that has 3 connections for power which answers what the -16v is for.

Most AC/DC adapters are specific to one voltage ie only 9v, ones that are for equipment like the CL labs case are multiple output or just provide AC to a psu in the device. So they generally don't work for a job of a bipolar psu.

api_pinout.jpg

I just bought a connector from Jeff at Classic API and soldered connectors to in/out. For power I used the SSL9k psu with 7816,7916 regulators and built the 48v section as is.

canidoit said:
I want to use it for any 16volt modules that I have.
You'll have probably none. All 500 series modules I know of want +/-16V. That is 32V across these rails with 0V reference in between.

Anyone tried Igors Rackit 1 build? Can I just use a 16 volts adaptor with the Rackit like the Chameleon does with its 500 series rack?
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=45678.msg578074#msg578074
The rack-it is an adapter for 51X modules (18-pin cardslot) that requires a +/-24V PSU and maybe another +48V PSU for phantom voltage powered mics. All this rack-it adapter can do as a PSU is, to regulate the received +24V and -24V rail voltages from 51X cardslot pins 17 and 18 down to +16V and -16V and hand these decreased rail voltages over to cardslot pins 12 and 14.

Latest posts

Back