Modular Mastering Console with M/S processing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleguitarpro

I've finished to build and test my own designed mastering console, inspired by other builds around here.
The concept of this build is to make it modular: I have 7 balanced bypass modules for the 7 inserts, 2 bypass modules to insert M/S board at the beginning (encoder) and at the end (decoder) of my chain and 4 swap modules (a swap for inserts 1/7 and one for 2 / 3-4-5-6).

48293-241012181300.jpeg

The console has 7 inserts. I can choose to put in the chain one of the insert and I choose to "swap" 4 inserts each other.

48293-241012181142.jpeg

I made the first swap option to change the position of my TC elect Finalizer to first position in my chain to the end (to use the eq, de-esser, limiter from it).
Also I can swap all the compressor in inserts 3(gSSL)-4(TFpro p38)-5(vk1 vari mu)-6(two P2P La2a) to my EQ (sontec) in insert 2.
In addiction to those insert/swapping options, I include a m/s board from Wayne Kirkwood that I can bypass or put on with a switch (in this way I use all my L channel' inserts as Mid and R channel' as Side).

Obiouvsly, the modular concept allows me to make the change that I want without problems.

48293-241012181220.jpeg

I designed the pcb of this project (of the singles bypass modules and of the swap modules).
The pcbs make the life easier... all the work in my case are the connections.
In the case of pcb the connection are made with molex or pcb connectors and the soldering work regards only the relays and front panel switches to control the relays.
After this build I've a spare bypass module that I use to add a "passive" mod to my V475 Neumann board summing mixer.

So, this bypass balanced modules and swap could be used in other projects... This is the idea!

Someone would be interested in having the pcbs? :)

Ale

Nice project!! the swap otions are nice... Just one question, do you limit in MS mode? I always see limiting in L/R, but if it works for you great, just want to know why and how it sounds, is it diferent from L/R or just practical if working M/S?

JS

This is a fascinating project. I am having trouble getting my head around all the swapping options. Could you post a block diagram?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
This is a fascinating project. I am having trouble getting my head around all the swapping options. Could you post a block diagram?

Cheers

Ian

I "agree" too
peace
O.S.

Congrats, I see tones of hardcore work inside. Measured the cross talk?

joaquins said:
Nice project!! the swap otions are nice... Just one question, do you limit in MS mode? I always see limiting in L/R, but if it works for you great, just want to know why and how it sounds, is it diferent from L/R or just practical if working M/S?

JS

Is different because of the way in which you limit... The difference in my experience is the result in stereo balance of the element in your mix. The behaviour of the material is the same of the rest of the material that you use in M/S mode and react in a different way of a L/R mastering.

r2d2 said:
ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

I "agree" too
peace
O.S.

The block material of the console is (per channel):

swap2    -> byp mod4 ->ins 2
                                |        -> byp mod5 ->ins3
                                |                  |
                                |              byp mod6 ->ins4
                                |                  |
                                |              byp mod7 ->ins5
                                |                  |
                                |              byp mod8 ->ins6
                                |
                                |
L in -> bypass 1 -> swap1  -> bypass module2 -> insert1        bypass9 -> out L
                |                            -> bypass module3 ->  insert7        |
                |                                                                                    |
                |                                                                                    |
              M/S encoder----------------------------------------------------M/S decoder

R channel is the same.

I use my bypass modules to insert "swap 1" chain.

Igor said:
Congrats, I see tones of hardcore work inside. Measured the cross talk?

Crosstalk = -96 dB, 20-20kHz, channel-to-channel

Hi, this looks excellent. Did not notice the PCB's posted. If available I'd be very grateful for a peek. Also how much did it cost to make all in?

Cheers

MOTTO said:
Hi, this looks excellent. Did not notice the PCB's posted. If available I'd be very grateful for a peek. Also how much did it cost to make all in?

Cheers

I'd be very interested too.

Kanne

Latest posts

Back