Expat Audio EDEN Microphone Preamplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just received my preamps from Expat. They look very nicely made and very very dinky. They can run on a pair of 9V batteries so should make a nice portable preamp too.

Hoping to get a couple wired up for this weekend's sessions. I'll post up some samples if we have something I can share.

;)

I was hoping to slide my pair into a 9k build that I bought from someone , but when it got here
I decided it was better to gut it and start over , It is rising up on the cue though !
everything you need to know is on the board ?

What size of input cap ?

Hi Rochey,

I didn't get time to put together a battery supply for the weekend, so am moving straight on to the rack version.

I have a quick question that I couldn't find an answer for in the documentation. How much current is one of these going to draw through your power supply boards? In other words, will a small 7 watt 18V+18V toroid be sufficient for a pair, or would I be better at 15 or 30 VA?

Thanks!

Stewart

oh Christ yes!

Your looking at 3 devices on the board, plus LED's that will draw current

Each LED is drawing around 10mA per rail.
INA163 draws ±10mA
OPA134 draws ±5mA
DRV135 draws ±5mA

However, most of the devices are spec'd at ±15V, not ±18V. (all of them show ±18V as their abs max)

That was quick. I thought so!

There is a better choice of parts at 15V, so might do that if there is no real-world headroom benefit of making a ±18V supply.

Thanks!

Alrite folks, I have 3x Eden boards to hand, all tested and ready to go for those of you who have interest.
They are based on the PG2.0 design. (PG2.1 is the latest to come back, with minor tweaks for the manufacturing process).

PM me if your interested. (Also find me on fbook - expat audio llc).

They are available for $200 for all 3 to the first buyer. Once sold, the next batch of Eden's (currently in production) will be back to typical pricing. I will add them to the online store soon - but as these are discounted and only 3 (not 4), it's easier for me to handle it out-of-store.

Cheers

Rochey

Here is a design we have been working on for a 4 channel 1U set up of Eden pres.  I would love some feedback if there is any interest or thoughts on changes.

1U-EXPAT-EDEN.jpg

The grey holes above and below the 48v's are mounting holes for the Eden control PCB's.  There is another set under the Gain knob.

Some more feedback:
Anyways, I've been able to test the pres with my voice and an akg 414 and a Rode nt1000 and I really like how the preamplifiers sound, really neutral and, I think they could be usefull in many situations.

:)

I love it when users provide feedback.  ;)

I just ordered a 4 pack. I was actually trying to get 8 for a location recording rig I'm building. The automated checkout only let me get 4. Is it possible to just run through the checkout again to get 4 more, or is there a max per customer? Stoked to hear them!

That's all I have in stock right now. I will do another production run this weekend. Thank you for your order. I will contact you soon via Email.

Rochey said:
That's all I have in stock right now. I will do another production run this weekend. Thank you for your order. I will contact you soon via Email.

Got it. I'll machine up my case for 8 and grab 4 more when they are in stock.

Rochey said:
A few edens are back in stock now, before I do another big rebuild soon.

Get 'em while they are hot!

/R

Got another 4 pack. BAM!
I'll post samples once I get these guys up and running.

I'm hooking these up today and have a couple of quick questions about the connections.
Looking at the board w the EA logo upright (not upside down)...

Does the input connection go hot,shield,cold from top of the board to the bottom?

On the balanced output I'm assuming the connection goes cold, shield, hot away from the EA logo based on the markings on the pcb. Is that correct?

I knocked one up in a bud box yesterday with battery power for a quick test. Sounded great w my coles4038. The LEDs on the power rail are a really nice touch.

Adam, does this clear things up? :)

Don't forget, that the left-most connectors is "PRE" DC Blocking caps. You then put your DC blocking caps between  the two rows. (or offboard, then connect to the second row that's wired)

/R

Attachments

• inandoutoneden.png
    inandoutoneden.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back