Drip 175 build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

One of my clients bought a Drip 175 card and the stash of BOM materials.  I built up the kit for him.

http://www.brianroth.com/pix/aaron/drip175/

That power transformer from the BOM is CRAZY huge....shrug.

Bri

It's insane isn't it? Enough for the 175 and a Marshall on the side.

I bought the spec'd one for my drip 175 - ended up using it in a big ass guitar amp build and getting an appropriate small edcor for  the 175.

I do like the drip stuff though - big pcbs suit me and the docs are always great.

Nice work!

I know, it's nuts. No way that Hammond PT is gonna fit in a 2U case.

I'm collecting parts right now for my build. Got the proper UTC iron for input and interstage, most likely have to go with the Sowter output since it's pretty much un-obtainum.

Did you go with a GZ34 rectifier?

Regards,
Mark

alexc said:
I bought the spec'd one for my drip 175 - ended up using it in a big ass guitar amp build and getting an appropriate small edcor for  the 175.

Do you happen to have a part # for the Edcor PT?

Regards,
Mark

I'm in a 240VAC 50Hz region down in at the bottom of Oz, so I went with the :

Edcor XPWR131-240 

240V 50Hz to
660 volt (330-260-0-260-330) @ 175mA,
6.3 volt (3.15-0-3.15) @ 4A
5 volt (2.5-0-2.5) @ 3A
With Vertical Blue End Bells

and

Edcor CXC100-5H-200mA

5H Inductance, 200 mA DC current ,
58 ohms DCR with leads, Gapped Core

Still way too big but dramatically smaller! I used a 3RU enclosure.

I went originally with the specified Hammond 372JX -  a scary monstrous unit with 275mA of HV, 8A of 6.3V heater and 4A of 5V of heater. Along with an Edcor 10H 200mA choke.

Good for  120w tube amp!

Both are great units for sure and pretty good prices, even on shipping the Hammond (Digikey Canada - really good international shipping!)

But what should have been a modest 90mA HV or so build was looking like the HMAS Ark Royal!

They went to a parallel 6550 + many preamp tubes SE guitar amp build where they await patiently their day to unleash mayhem  :)

Cheers

Biasrocks said:
Nice work!

I know, it's nuts. No way that Hammond PT is gonna fit in a 2U case.

I'm collecting parts right now for my build. Got the proper UTC iron for input and interstage, most likely have to go with the Sowter output since it's pretty much un-obtainum.

Did you go with a GZ34 rectifier?

Regards,
Mark

Thanks for the kind remarks.  We went with a 5Y3.

Bri

Volume11 said:
Nice build. Would you mind sharing where you picked up that 2 and 3 conductor wire?

Thanks for the compliment.  The colored cable is Gepco 61801EZ, which is what I've used for years (and tens of thousands of feet) for wiring up studios.  It's 22 gauge 1 pair with an overall foil shield, and comes in a bunch of jacket colors.

The yellow wire you see is some heat shrink I used to insulate the shield/drain wire.  I typically use clear shrink, but had some yellow on hand.

Bri

Brian Roth said:
Volume11 said:
Nice build. Would you mind sharing where you picked up that 2 and 3 conductor wire?

Thanks for the compliment.  The colored cable is Gepco 61801EZ, which is what I've used for years (and tens of thousands of feet) for wiring up studios.  It's 22 gauge 1 pair with an overall foil shield, and comes in a bunch of jacket colors.

The yellow wire you see is some heat shrink I used to insulate the shield/drain wire.  I typically use clear shrink, but had some yellow on hand.

Bri
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Chad

Old Goat said:
Nice work, Bri. I hope my stuff looks like that someday.

Thanks, from one Old Goat (age 58....siiigh...lol) to another Old Goat.  <g>

I am never satisfied with my own work, after seeing the PRISTINE harnessing in old Neve desks, or old military equipment.  I only take pix when "it doesn't totally suck" in my own opinion.

;-)

Bri

Back