Drip Opto 5

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmurphy

-edited-

Anyone have a Drip Opto 5 Schem? My board is opto 5 9/7/11 rev 1. I've tried Gregory a few times but I suspect he is too busy.

I realize it's probably useless to do but I'm bumping this thread because I still have this Opto 5 sitting on my bench. I've tried Gregory for years but he does not reply to my messages. Anyone have an Opto 5 schematic?

I realize it's probably useless to do but I'm bumping this thread because I still have this Opto 5 sitting on my bench. I've tried Gregory for years but he does not reply to my messages. Anyone have an Opto 5 schematic?
The business behaviour of this gentleman really sucks. No doubt, which is also proven by the numerous help threads here in the forum. Actually, one should not support this business model (to sell but no product support, Groupdiy will do it)!

On the other hand, there is clearly a DIYer in need here.

What is your specific problem? Maybe someone can help you with that. How does rev5 differ from the versions before and after?

Just use an LA-2A schematic. After all that's what it's a copy of. It will take some circuit tracing on your part with continuity meter not impossible. Drip does not release schematics because they are just clones.

Attachments

• opto_5_bom.pdf
    280.8 KB · Views: 1
  • opto5manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I finally received a useful response from Gregory today, which I was not expecting after so many unanswered messages. Past, present and future forum members can draw their own conclusions.

Fair point about circuit tracing based on the original LA-2A schem. This weekend I will trace signal and measure my voltages compared to both the LA-2A and what Drip was willing to share.

I've had the unit on my "to repair" shelf for a while, but I recall it would either compress at 110% or basically not at all, suggesting an issue with one of the Drip T4Bs maybe? I may replace them with Kenetek's, or determine the best of my current three and bypass the switchable part of the circuit but I'd prefer the former.

I've only done a quick search of how one tests photo cells so this may be a silly question but is it possible to do with a DMM or simple bench setup? Send a pulsing tone and measure resistance as it decreases?

Last edited:
How does rev5 differ from the versions before and after?
The Opto 5 has an unconventional optical cell configuration compared with later revisions like Opto 6 which transitioned to board mounted octal sockets and his redesigned Drip T4B. The "opto5manual.pdf" Bobby posted show how they appear in the circuit. If they are ultimately to blame I am thinking I'll adapt normal octal base t4bs to the design using something like this.

Latest posts

Back