Decent "mixing" headphones for $100 or less?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $100 I would probably go for a pair of ATH-M50's. But probably best to go for something a little better and preferably open if you want a more natural sound.

Is true open are more natural, but for having same bass response you need to go more expensive... I would love to have some open ones for this task, but my HD380 works really good, it just take a time for me to get used to the low end, first mixes had some strange things overe there, but in a couple of sessions using them and comparing with speakers I get how they work and now I use them a lot for checking low end because they show every detail at there.

When I go to somebody else studio to work I always take them with me for having my reference... I had been several years working with diferent sennheiser models, HD380 are my last headphones I bought and I'm very happy with it.
Although I heard a couple of open back AKG and I think may be a good choice in this range of prices, Sennheiser doesn't have open back pro HP... So I'm thinking in get some of them, maybe some 240 or 171 some day, but not now in my top needed list, I'm happy with mines...

JS

druu said:
For $100 I would probably go for a pair of ATH-M50's. But probably best to go for something a little better and preferably open if you want a more natural sound.
I think these are a little of $135 USD on the bay but would recommend these as well if you can swing it. I think the ATH-M40 is cheaper since it is a previous model which is great as well. A bit looser on the bass compared to the 50s but both are well balanced to my ears as compared to my Fostex T40, Roland and Beyer Dynamics DT770.

I can't remember the Roland model, but their studio headphones.

I finally decided to buy a pair of Grado SR80i open-back phones, and I gotta say, they sound pretty damn good, better than any headphones I've ever had. I got them for $99 from Parts Express. Thanks to everyone for your input!

For what it's worth I had the HD280's for some time and used to mix through them.
I always found the frequency response rather uneven, and the bass response quite sloppy.
In fact mixing through them imo was a rather unpleasant experience.

I will agree you can "get used to" the sound of pretty much anything and make do (and I have a lot in the past), but there was always something about their sound that didn't "gel" properly with my ears.

I now use Beyerdynamic DT770Pro's (600ohm) - admittedly not $100, but it's night and day mix wise between them.
I trust the DT's WAY more than the Sennheiser's for that task. And I've ALWAYS been a Sennheiser fanboy.
The bass response of the DT's doesn't go as low as I'd like though by default, though I would wager a decent headphone amp (I'm currently using the headphone out on a Yamaha RX-series amp), would fix that right up, especially at the rather high 600ohms.

dmlandrum said:
I finally decided to buy a pair of Grado SR80i open-back phones, and I gotta say, they sound pretty damn good, better than any headphones I've ever had. I got them for $99 from Parts Express. Thanks to everyone for your input!
Grados look sexy. But my next "serious" purchase will probably be Ultrasones, depending on budget.

I have a pair of the HD280's. I've mixed on them when I couldn't be loud (new baby). I prefer an open back like the Grado SD80 or Senn HD558 for just a bit more money. The HD280s work great for tracking because you don't get bleed into a vocal mic. For mixing I doing them exhausting, so much air pressure locked up made my ears tired.

i like the sony mrd v600. they were marketed as a flat response "mix" headphone years ago.  dont know if they're still made by my 20 year old pairstill works and i just bought 2 more pair used on e-bay 1 at $50  the other for $40' the ear surround foam does tend to disintergrate but i just  bought a packof 4 new for abot $6. 2 like new phone for $96. either way id go with used. ear phones dont seem to hold there value like some things so you can always get a good deal on them on ebay

Aww, I'm too late to muddy the water with another suggestion.

Oh well, in the interest of posterity I'll throw this out anyway: The low-end Ultrasone's are much more accurate than the Sony 7506's I've been using for years.  I'd dare say you could do *both* kinds of mixing on them. Hard to beat in the $70 price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/

Having lived with these Grados for a while, I have to say that I really like them. I could probably do serious mixes with these things, but I'll probably keep using my monitors.

I own several pairs of headphones, including the AKG 240, Senn 280 pro, Sony V6s and Grado 80s (and a few others, including the Senn 650s but these are mentioned in this thread and are in the same ballpark you mentioned, cost-wise).

You made a fine choice! One thing I love about the Grado 80's is that they're an open design and I find they translate better to monitors than closed-design headphones in terms of where things are in the stereo field.

While they have a decent amount of bass, you won't hear sub frequencies so using your monitors would be a good idea as well, but I find the Grado 80 to be a great set of HP for the price. They can also be modded (the pads for the PS1000 will fit these and may be something you like, should you want to part with ~$45 to see if you want to change the signature of the 80i's a bit).

Grados are pretty decent for the money.
I don't use HP's so much, only late night or to check something LOUD - i'm in an apartment.
I use AKG270's Sony V750's and ATH M40.
The AKG270's are quite new, were around £150 they sound great and are very comfy, need squeezing
onto your ears to really hear the bass though - kind of a universal HP problem !

I like these closed back "bigger than your ears" type, when I use smaller HP's that push against your ear lobes
I can only use them for 30 minutes .... it hurts.

MM.

+1 for AKG K240s - I just got a pair and they work surprisingly well for pulling a mix together. I just mixed a couple of hours through em and the mix hasn't translated too badly at all. There are boring ass sounding cans,  which is exactly what you want for mixing, they definitely don't sound near as hyped as my old sennheiser hd202s which sound a little on the smiley curve side.

I've got a Grado SR80i myself, always liked it for music, both listening and mixing.
Switched to a Beyerdynamic DT250 for set work. Sounds great too, yet less musical than the grado, but more revealing (and more robust too. Don't take your grado's outside for work)

btw, I'll tell you now already, you can get separate ear pads, for $15 or $20 or so. I wore the grado's alot, and the pads deteriorate over time, making them too soft, and eventually really uncomfortable to wear too (and that feeling of it not being "fresh")

anyhow, enjoy them! Great little things! :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I know this is an old thread but I have narrowed it down to three headphones now.

alessandro / Grado ms1        $99
Grado SR80e                                $99
Beyer Dynamics DT770        $195

Are there really and differences between the MS1 and SR80e?  I will probably go this route as money it tight.  The Beyer are nice but can't justify spending double the cash.

I'm in the same boat. Had my Senn HD280 for years and while they sound great, they're just too uncomfortable for extended listening. They're tight and sweaty, and just *ugh*.

I've been trying out used pairs from ebay. I figure I can always resell them and break even. So far I'm liking the AT M40 and want to try some other AT at a higher price point. Also looking into various models from AKG. Not sure how you feel about used phones, but it's a great way to "try out" something if you're not sure what you want.

Headphones seem to be a very personal thing, and I imagine comfort and feel is just as important as sound. At least for me it is. Everyone's head is shaped different, and some cans just don't fit some people.

Can't remember if  I posted already! 

Was a Sony 7506 guy forever, flawed but useful. 

Bough ATM-50H on a recommendation, pretty much useless for anything other than airplane travel IMO.

Recently bought Sennheiser HD650 ($305 delivered to my home same day from Amazon!).  I love them.

ruairioflaherty said:
Bough ATM-50H on a recommendation, pretty much useless for anything other than airplane travel IMO.
Weird! I have an ATM50H since 2007. Never considered it was the ultimate headphone. I wanted a headphone that was considered as a reference (something like having Neumann mics), so i bought an AGG K701. I honestly couldn't tell the difference sonically. The comfort aspects and difference between closed and open are probably the most important factors.
Recently bought Sennheiser HD650 ($305 delivered to my home same day from Amazon!).  I love them.
I've never felt attracted to Senns; indeed the fact they're open is not to my liking.
I never mix with h/p, only use them for cleaning tracks.
In the end, i conclude that headphones are as personal as underwear... ;)

Back