Noob alert: Question about JLM VU buffer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drabina

I have two JLM VU buffer boards and some VU meters that I can use with them. My electronics knowledge is very limited and I am unsure how should I connect the buffers and meters. Given that I will run separate power supply to the buffers, can I take the output from my amplifier (speaker binding posts) and connect the boards there or I need to do it at the source (line level)?

Thanks for listening and your help in advance.

> output from my amplifier (speaker binding posts)

If you want to monitor loudspeaker level, you do not need buffers.

If they are not true VU meters (with rectifier), you need diode.

If you play speakers above speaking-level, you need an attenuator.

Bring the amp up soft, connect the meter momentarily. If it dances, that's fine, until you turn it up.

If it stays at -20VU, but vibrates on strong bass, you need diode.

Thanks for replying. I am still confused though. I guess I am a real noob when it comes to this type of stuff.

So if I want to use the JLM VU buffers, where should I connect them in lets say turntable -> integrated amplifier -> speakers system?

Thanks.

If your integrated amp has some 'tape outputs' then that would be a good place.

The JLM VU buffers will work fine with cheap, un-rectified vu meters as well as high quality, rectified VU meters.

They just need to connect somewhere the voltages are reasonably ..vu .. ready

Like a few volts of signal level.

they are adjustable to some degree so you can make them respond more or less as desired.

So - your turntable output - no good for buffered vu meters. Too low level.
Speaker outputs - no good for buffered vu meters. Too high level

Integrated amp output, like 'Tape Out' or 'Tape Monitor' or any 'line level output' - GOOD for buffered vu meters.

Cheers

drabina said:
Thanks for replying. I am still confused though. I guess I am a real noob when it comes to this type of stuff.

So if I want to use the JLM VU buffers, where should I connect them in lets say turntable -> integrated amplifier -> speakers system?

Thanks.

Depends on what you want to monitor. If it is the power going to the speakers then the speaker binding posts is the place to go. If you want to see the level of the original material irrespective of how loud you are playing it then the tape out as has already been suggested would be the best place.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys. The above explanations is what I needed. My integrated has tape out so I will plug the VU buffers there.

Latest posts

Back