Cutting Sheets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I'd like the ability to cut sheets of aluminum and stainless steel. I'd also like to be able to cut bar stock and angle stock. I don't have room for a full size table saw. I'm looking for ideas.

I thought of using a router like the Bosch Colt mounted in a router table but I don't think it will go slow enough or have enough torque to do steel. Right?

My next thought was to get a belt drive spindle and mount it upside down in a router type table. This would be able to be broken down and set up as needed. I don't know exactly how to do this. What say you?

The tool of choice for crude cuts in a machine shop is a bandsaw which doesn't have a footprint much bigger than a table saw, but expensive perhaps for only occasional use. 

JR

I don't have room for full size tools. I'd have a full size mill if I could. I need a solution that is small. Ideally it could be broken down.

A vice, hacksaw, good set of files and engineering squares for cutting profiles, bar and rods.

Clamp the vice onto a table using G clamps and off you go.

For cutting sheet aluminium it is a different story. Up to 1.5mm use a steel ruler and a stanley kife. Score it on both sides, and place it on the table by aligning the score mark on the table edge. Place a strip of timber over and again clamp it down using g clamps. Then take another bit of timber and again clamp it using g clamps over the over hanging bit. Then bend it up and down until it snaps.

You are pushing your luck for stainless steel. You need proper guillotine for that.

I have this desktop table saw http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mini-tilt-arbor-table-saw-for-benchtop-hobby-use,7500.html  It does a pretty good job on reasonably thin aluminum. I also have an angle grinder which does pretty well on bar and angle stock.

I want something that can do stainless steel bar stock, angle stock and sheet. I could always get a cold cut miter style saw for bar and angle stock but I'd like to be able to cut stainless steel sheet fairly cleanly. Burrs are fine but I want a straight cut.

Aluminum and Stainless steel are very different, and generally can not be cut using the same tools (except for guillotining which is shearing - not cutting by removal of chips)

Material is worked by these main methods: friction cutting, chip removal, shearing and heat.

Lets ignore shearing and heat.

You can not cut stainless steel using a router or a table saw (chip removal) - it will be dangerous.

Perhaps if you need something that will do both, a band saw would be the best bet, But for stainless you will need lube and a spacial blade. And by band saw I mean the kind for cutting bundles of bar stock, not the woodworking kind that you can stand at and cut curvy shapes in sheet material. Cold saws are great - but only good for bar stock, and they need lots of lube, and are large heave and expensive.

I would stay away from stainless unless you are specially set up to do so. Keep a angle grinder or a friction drop saw on hand for jobs where you must use stainless. Or make friends with someone who has a steel fabrication workshop. You will find the good ones even keep mild and stainless steel areas separate to stop contamination of the stainless.

Stainless laser cuts beautifully. if you need shapes cut from sheet, try and find a local service with a small minimum charge. In contrast, Ali is not so good with laser (not to say that good results can not result)

Stainless steel swarf is awful...... I would never cut it in a place where I work with Ali, or anything else. It is very sharp and hard. This contrasts Ali which is soft and workable almost like wood (but do not try friction cutting with ali - it will just clog)

I guess that is enough of my rambling!

T

Thanks Timothy, that's very helpful. It sounds like stainless steel is out. What other type of  steel would polish up reasonably easily and keep it's finish reasonably well?

I think aluminum is the best material for DIY.....

You can buy it in pre anodized colours. Or with the correct etch primer painting can work out well.

I would be using a "brushed" finish (using scotchbrite or wet and dry paper or similar).

If you specifically were wanting a mirror finish polish (on a mic body for example), I would have not used stainless anyway.... Mild steel and then send to a electroplaters to have it chromed.

Raw ali on its own will not rust, although I guess it can feel a bit "soft". You could find a local anodizing service (once again with a low minimum charge) or if you are wanting to protect your brushed finish or paint fill, try clear lacquer.

(of course if this was a forum about sailing boats, the answer would be different)

T

Aluminum and steel can be cut with a circular saw, using the right blade.  Bar stock can also be cut with a circular saw, but a chop saw can be had for very little money which will do a great job and make a square cut.  For cuts of sheet material, you might want to clamp it to plywood and clamp a guide rail to that for the saw to ride against.  Use a lubricant if it helps, and try a variety of blades until you find the ones that work best for the job.  You might try one of those double blade - counter rotating - saws for some cuts.

Timothytitus88 said:
I think aluminum is the best material for DIY.....

I would be using a "brushed" finish (using scotchbrite or wet and dry paper or similar).

I'm building a bed enclosure from aluminum and wood covered in felt for a new apartment. I'm using it as an excuse to learn how to polish aluminum. I have a variable speed orbital sander and tried it with three grits. It wasn't working as well as I had hoped. I ordered three more grits. I think that should do it. I'm not specifically asking about face plates.

Aluminum and steel can be cut with a circular saw, using the right blade. Bar stock can also be cut with a circular saw, but a chop saw can be had for very little money which will do a great job and make a square cut.

I like that idea. It can be set up and broken down easily. I don't need to do it often but I do need to do it from time to time. I sort of have room for a chop saw. I've seen some of those metal cutting large circular blades. They could share blades. I guess I have to figure out whether the mounts between the two saws are compatible. So far I haven't needed anything better than what that little table saw can do or straighter than what i can do with an angle grinder but I will.

Many of the suppliers will cut the material for you.  That might be the best thing to do for the sheets.  You just need to have your measurements with you.  For angle stock and stuff like that, a chop saw can will do the job.  Just wear eye protection!

I think using a circular saw will work well enough. Looking around last night I ran across a class of portable table saws like this http://www.toolking.com/bosch-gts1031-10-inch-portable-jobsite-table-saw-1?CAWELAID=876883540&catargetid=1622323242&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNTy2Nev27MCFQSf4AodiC4Amw
That's small and light enough to be set up when needed and put away.

I'll start with a 10" metal cutting blade. The circular saw I have is 10". Most of the hand circular saws meant for metal are 7 1/4". I could put th 10" in a portable table saw if the hand saw doesn't work well enough.

That will work okay for aluminum, I don't know about steel but I don't recommend it. Get a 100 tooth carbide saw blade and some cutting wax. I prefer the big stick, kindof like a giant glue stick. I cut aluminum picture moulding all day at work, we just use 100T ultra-mitre blades and a bit of wax (not much, just stick the wax into the blade while it's spinning, no more than a 1/4 inch cut into the wax is needed).

Also, don't set the blade height real high, have it just barely cut through the sheet cleanly and no more. Go REALLY slowly, or your going to get a jagged, banged up edge.

I really would recommend getting a band saw to do this, though. Much safer and more appropriate for the task.

Hey guys,

Yeah, I was going to back out of this thread because I thought I might be being a downer on your fun...... But I can not help myself to say:

Please do not try and cut any metals (except Ali) on a woodworking table saw like the one in the link above. I would never do it. It is dangerous.

If you have to do Ali, then as gemini86 says, use lube (wax) and use the right blade and be careful with the speed you push through.

Band saw is much safer!

Understood about you not doing audio panels. Random orbital will have a nice matt finish - work your way down to 800 grit.

For a brushed (sometimes called "number 4") I use a 6" diameter x 2" wide grey scotchbrite wheel on a big inline grinder (think massive electric die grinder). gotta get the grain all going in the same direction.

Cheers,

T

I guess like SSLtech said once, use the right tool for the job, this thing will bend, cut and roll, max 1mm sheet tough.
Dimensions seems to be: 40x16x27", there is also a smaller one, but then thickness is limited to 0.8mm.
Maybe you'll find something similar in the US for a better price (i'm sure there is), and maybe even can try it out?

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/combine-cisaille-plieuse-rouleuse/otmt-99060045/-ref-59399.html

or smaller (seems to be able to use it for 1mm steel, but not stainless steel)

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/mini-combine-cisaille-plieuse/vadium-0010010306-skg.html

OR as you said, the broken down solution, there is cutters like this in different length.

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/cisailles-etabli/vadium-0010240116-skg.html

a manual Bender

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/plieuse-main/vadium-0010010301-skg.html

and a Sheet bender (max 1.2mm)

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/plieuse-atelier/otmt-0010010408-skg.html

But you'll need a good heavy table for bolting these to it.

Just curious ar the links i gave above actually working? I'm Not sure...

EDIT: If i'm asking, is because once, i gave links with that same webshop and i seem to direct me to the main Web page, when using a different Computer, weird, even if the extensions were having the right names... anyway, not a pro in that domain, so i was curious...

I'm looking on an iPhone and the links take me to the main index. I'll check it on a computer when I can.

I have a hobby sized band saw like the table saw. The problem with the band saw is that the throat is only 8" or so. If I could get a table top band saw with 24" throat that would probably take care of my needs.

I tried cutting 3/8" mild steel bar stock on the little table saw and it was dangerous. I was prepared for danger and stood well clear. Certainly not ideal.

I have no experience with metal working other than trial and error for a couple of years. I appreciate the advice. I'm hard headed but I'd like to keep my head attached to my body.

For barstock, a small handheld angle grinder or a rotary cutoff tool is what I would use. Hell, even a dremel with a cutoff wheel would work, but you'd go through wheels like crazy.

Well yes i understand you're caught in a dilemma, since if you want to go into Metalwork, you'll need some tools and space.
For cutting bars for whatever, what is used in general is something like this, it will cut slowly and smootly thru the material.
Some lub is always nice to have around also.

http://www.otelo.fr/fr/catalogue/scie-ruban-horizontale/otmt-0012030103-skg.html

It's possible to go with the DIY (and not much space) option, but as some others said, it "could", and we hope not,
lead to injurys or whatever because the tool was not adapted. Like always in those situations, you better be safe than sorry.

BUT

Look who's talking haha, i have the chance to know a guy (for who i work for 1/2 time) and has all i would need for most of my metal DIY things or whatever. He lacks some sheet bending tools and the things i've gave the links to, but he has a Mill, lathe, a horizontal band saw, etc.. etc..., and wood working professional table saw, but he has space and the needs so....

Anyway what i'm saying is that living around where you are, i'm sure there is a guy or a Custom Bike shop?? or whatever that would also have all those things you need, and so, for exchange of a couple of beers, and some metal working discussions (i don't know if you'll like that part haha?) but you'll have it all, and you could just complement on some other less space invading tools in your place, or fill it up with flowers and some plants and breath the fresh air haha  ;D.

Back