Hype or something less...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
I actually have the Glass Nexus mentioned in this article...as far as I can tell it is using a starved plate sort of design...I'm not sure how much real tube "warmth" you can get out of a 9v (2amp) wall wart psu...but I will say that in terms of dynamics it does a pretty good job keeping things in line and overall is a very nice pedal...just not sure of the hype...someone suggested its using the tubes as buffers before and after the shard processor...I am not sure how that's possible...

http://www.analog.com/en/content/damage_control_uses_sharc/fca.html

From their description it seems more like they model the 12AX7 in the DSP rather than there actually being one in there.

Cheers

Ian

Yeah thats whats sort of confusing the Glass Nexus actually has 2 12AX7's in the pedal (with colored LED's behind them to indicate what function you are using) I opened up the pedal (nice to see real metal housing by the way) the 2 -12ax7's are getting used in the circuit somehow but there's so much smd and then computer ribbons its hard to really see whats going on...

Well honestly I am very impressed with the sharc...of course I've been using UAD for some time now so I know the algorithms in these chips can do some very nice things...I am also sure the 12AX7's are simply "bling" to seel pedals, however this thing does have a very "compressed" sound, its almost impossible to get it to clip so I suppose the sharc is somehow managing the input...but there doesn't seem to be any sense to the idea that the 12ax7's are actually used for I/O buffers...thats like comparing apples to screwdrivers...

ruffrecords said:
From their description it seems more like they model the 12AX7 in the DSP rather than there actually being one in there.
From the web site it seems that the 12AX7s are real:
Tube-buffered wet signal path. Dual 12AX7s run at their full 250V plate voltage for the warmest and fattest digital effects available anywhere.

Of course, it matters how and where they're used..

Latest posts

Back