hue personal lighting system looks neat. But would it work in the studio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If their supply doesn't insert noise in the line it would be a grate option, RGB iluminated studio! Price?

I'm looking some scheme of a dimmer I've seen working but not inside that didn't insert noise into the line, but I don't know how it works, they had a box with about 10 faders and from there controled the whole studio lighting (the ones with dimmers)

JS

I have a colleague who's a genius when it comes to embedded hardware and software. He's building his own house, and decided to create his own panels on the wall that'd control lighting via wifi (app running on embedded linux "tablets")

He uses Behringer DMX lighting boxes in the electrical closet, then ethernet to DMX modules (bought online).

He wrote a basic app for android that sends DMX messages through his network.

Breathtaking stuff. Very very cool.

/R

keefaz said:
What about security, I mean what does prevent a person from outside to control the lights ?

oh that would be a good one. Not sure  if there is passwords you set up or not. I do think it would be a  slim chance of that couse really who would go  around with the hue app looking for people who have a system?

Rochey said:
I have a colleague who's a genius when it comes to embedded hardware and software. He's building his own house, and decided to create his own panels on the wall that'd control lighting via wifi (app running on embedded linux "tablets")

He uses Behringer DMX lighting boxes in the electrical closet, then ethernet to DMX modules (bought online).

He wrote a basic app for android that sends DMX messages through his network.

Breathtaking stuff. Very very cool.

/R

Those DMX boxes that convert midi are hours of fun.
Me and a mate made a small set in ableton then duplicated all the midi and sent it to the DMX then tweaked it it to get a very effective light show from only a few lights.

The studio systems I have experienced are horrible, probably due to the room paint colors and placement choices more than the fact that a white or off-white yellow LED spot is a bit harsh on the eyes.  At one place the room colors are red and 80's studio gray and any color from the lights looks like a$$ on all surfaces.  Try to go white/yellow just to see the console and equipment and it is a very cold light that somehow does not illuminate enough.  I am recommending that they supplement with some halogen spots because people will go blind working there.  I work there in the dark with a headlamp because I tend towards a headache with the LED lights.  A different room I walked through quickly had yellowish walls and the same harshy/washy light problem.  My thought is that wall or fabric color is a complex blend of colors, and the LED's are maybe three at the most.  It is like mixing paint or dyes- it's best to mix only primary colors.  If you start to mix blended colors you get a result from the rainbow of beige.

If you are looking for accent then recessed LED strips are better, and can do the RGB thang.  I am sure there is a place for them, they just need to be designed into a space by someone who has made all the mistakes already and knows how to do it correctly. 

Latest posts

Back