1176 Extra Ratios.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGC1

Hi Everyone, I'm looking at adding on some extra ratios to an 1176 that I am in the process of building.
I have had a look around this site and other places on the internet and have found some useful stuff (thanks to the users who have uploaded schematics) , but I have not found exactly what i need.

I have found a circuit that shows how to accomplish 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 20 ratios, and another circuit that allows for 2, 4, 8, 12, and 20.
I was hoping somebody would be able to help me, I am wanting to add even more ratios, including 3 and 5 so providing a total of 9 ratios from 2 to 20. Would this even be possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ratios.png
    ratios.png
    83 KB · Views: 68
for starters  the original units had ratios of 4,8,12,20. Then at some point universal audio released a limited anniversary edition version that had ratios 2,4,8,20.

I find it the 2:1 ratio so useful that I modded my mc77's so that it had 2,4,8,20.  works for me.

emrr said:
I'm curious if you've found the existing ratios lacking in some way.

+1 to that statement

emrr said:
I'm curious if you've found the existing ratios lacking in some way.

I tend to use the 1176 on 4:1 and 8:1, and only using the much higher ratios occasionally. I also use the chameleon labs 7720, which has ratios of 1.5:1, 2:1, and 4:1 and I'm quite a fan of these really low ratios for just touching the signal. I have even seen some compressors that have ratios of 1.4:1  and 1.7:1, not actually used these ones but would be quite nice for some very subtle compression.

as far as the original ratios lacking in some way, i wouldn't say that there is any thing wrong with them, it's just a case of having increased flexibility.

Back