GDIY 51x or VPR noob

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokus666

Hello all...

I am not sure I fully understand the difference between these two. I am a noob. Although, I have successfully built few compressors and pedals, I am planning to build a lunchbox and load it with some 1073 and API clones.

Which box will accomodate those 500 series modules???...total noob. Sorry for asking this...

Anyone help?

Thanks  :eek:

For the API clones you won't need the +/-24V feature.
For most (DIY) Neve clones it is a major improvement (even all of them have the feature to work in a API Rack with a DC/DC converter - I do not comment the negative sides on this solution)
However, an API Rack won't be less money ...

[silent:arts] said:
Depends very much on the Clones you have in mind (and further use you might even not know yet)

I also drool on your neuman pres. It might be a little pricey for me but I'll get two eventually.

BTW, great logo design, that's a selling point for me!

AFAIK, the only modules that actually use the 24V rail for API stuff is jeff's VP312DI and that's only if you use the active Hi-Z DI plugin boards.  if you use the Pikatron Hi-Z plugin, the unit will function using only the 16V rails, assuming you're using Gar2520s/1731 OpAmps.    Speaking of OpAmps:  Which 2520-format op amps actually require 24V supplies? 

If you only want 500 modules, you don't need the 51X features.
You can take any 500 case you want.
However, as far as I know a 51X Rack is still at a lower price.

the difference is this

vpr uses a 15 pin edge connector and runs any api/vpr format module. It's runs +/-16vdc and phantom

the gdiy51X uses an 18 pin edge connector and runs any 51X module. It has the api standard of +/-16vdc and phantom but also has +/-24vdc which some designers use.

Thanks guys,

I think I will go with 51x and PSU from GDIY

It's a fair price for the channel (cost of the channel+cost of the Lunchbox divided by 11)

rokus666 said:
Thanks guys,

It's a fair price for the channel (cost of the channel+cost of the Lunchbox divided by 11)
Yes, a good way to go,I'm glad I did it.Gives you way more possibilities for future builds and takes your beloved api style modules too!Very easy to build!And quite robust!

Have fun,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
rokus666 said:
Thanks guys,

Yes, a good way to go,I'm glad I did it.Gives you way more possibilities for future builds and takes your beloved api style modules too!Very easy to build!And quite robust!

Have fun,

Udo.

Oh, sure I will have fun building...It's like a puzzle...calming but rewarding at the end...

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back