[Feeler] U47 - U47FET Mic Bodies with U67 & U47 style head basket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi All,

Few people asked that i start a new thread to see how many people would be interested in these mic bodies for their DIY mic builds.
The U47 style body is the core of mic, it will have 2 different types of head basket which are interchangeable, also the main sleeve will be interchangeable to allow for switches or just without.
Costing is far from done yet and everything is still in the CAD stage of designing but hopefully all being well a price point of an order of about 10-20 should work out about $250/£150 for one mic body.
Please let me know any comments, im all ears.

regards

Spence.

Attachments

• U47 with polar patten switch.png
    U47 with polar patten switch.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 383
Hi Guys,

yes these will resemble as close as possible the original U47 body and head basket along with the U67 head basket.
Internally these will be different than the equinox bodies as these will be able to fit all the protop pcb's (U47fet, U67 and U87)

regards

Spence.

Spence,
your efforts are much appreciated. I would be good to know, where you are located (Shipping costs etc.) You can add your location in your profile.
regards
Bernd

Apologies for previous post. I chose to remove it. We will use the equinox white market thread to advertise our upcoming U47 bodies.

No problem at all Ekiner, wish i could have one of those equinox bodies they look great, but i wont be building a U47 for sometime as I have a pair of U47FET's im building, and the U47 build looks a little bit tricky, i will get round to it one day, but i think i will try to build one from scratch, rather than use the ioaudio kit.

I wanted to put a feeler out there for sizes of this U47 style body:

this is the dimensions i have found (Please feel free to correct me if ive got anything wrong)

U47fet Body size : 63mm x 160mm

U47 Body size : 57mm x 248mm

U87 body size : 56 / 57mm x ?

U67 body size : 56 / 57mm x ?

if anyone could chime in with head basket dimensions for U47 and U67 just so i know ive got it right would help.

Im assuming people would want the biggest size as per the 57mm or the 63mm x 248mm?
I am going to a studio to measure up the U47, U87 and U67 as at the moments the sizes are still in flux.

All help welcome.

Hi Guys,

have also had some great new ideas for other mic bodies and head baskets which will be available as well, wanted to keep these quiet until ive prototyped and tested to see how they compare but all things considered, the ideas are great and i know there is nothing like them gonna be out there!!! :)

Spence.

Hi,

Just need to get new year out the way and then i will be finialising the CAD stuff, once thats done, getting the materials, then we build.
Gonna build about 50 of the 47 style, 6 to 8 weeks until i will be able to get my hands on them, but i will post info and photos.

regards

Spence.

Hi All,

have meeting tonight about the finer details of building these U47 bodies.
these are the dimensions used in the originals

Model         Length Diameter
Long body U-47 240mm 63mm
Short body U-47 200mm 60mm

I pretty sure i will do the 60mm diameter 200mm long, headbasket approx 60mm body 140mm.
Grill will be double layer mesh, large and small.
Will be available in nickel, brass or chrome finish, other finishes available but would have to talk to my guy about whats possible.
will be knocking up prototypes within the next 2 weeks, and will post photos.
If your interested in getting any would like to gauge the interest asap.

regards

Spence.

Hi,

if the interest is there, it may be possible to have 3 different sizes available in length.
Short body - U47 FET - 160mm
Short body - U47      - 200mm
Long body  - U47      - 240mm

what do you guys think?

regards

Spence.

Latest posts

Back