[Feeler] U47 - U47FET Mic Bodies with U67 & U47 style head basket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in for a long body U47 and as you know, I'm deffo in for x4 if a good U87/U67 body becomes available!

Hi All,

Meeting with designer last night went well, we have settled on the following:

60mm diameter
240mm and 160mm Mic lengths (brass)
3 switch config with pcb, front polar pattern, rear low cut & -10db(also a two switch cut for U47 FET style, 2 switches at rear of mic sleeve, low cut & -10db) sleeve also available without switch cut outs or special order config
U47 style look but with screw on bottom for easier access to components.
U47 and U67 style head baskets (brass)
2 x mesh for head basket (outer large inner fine) brass
Polished Brass finish, satin chrome finish, polished chrome finish, special order finish

CAD'ing can now get started and tooling, we will knock up some prototypes and post on here.
The aim for these is to be much closer to the original look and feel of the U47 in style and weight using the best materials and all British made.

regards

SPence.

I never said anything about £125!!! we are aiming to be as close as we can to £200, and this will be far superior than the other others out there for $299 + shipping + taxes/customs.
I wont know until we are past the prototype stage anyways.
This isn't a simple process, we have to make tools to be able to hold everything correctly , so when it is cut, it doesn't get damaged.
the first batch i know will cost me more but once its all setup and if we get a good order it should be fine.
There are many hurdles to get over first, will keep you posted.

regards

Spence.

Ah, I think I was misremembering your original post in the thread where you quoted £150.  £200 is still a very good deal though -looking forward to reading the progress!

Hi All,

Getting very close to finishing the CAD of these mic bodies, pricing is going to hopefully be within £250-£300 per body, made all of brass and finished in a variety of finishes, still waiting for specimen finishes to be completed.
This is going to be much closer to the original U47 body in weight and design, a few other bodies out there seem to be fairly light weight compared to the originals, so we will try and get much closer with these materials.
All british made as well.
Will post some pics up within the next week and if we get any pre orders or enough orders this can all happen fairly quickly.
We are hoping for a turn around of about 2 weeks per 50 units, this maybe able to be reduced after the first batch.
Let me know what sort of numbers i should expect from you guys.

regards

Spence..

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi All,

is anyone interested in ordering one of these mics bodies?

Is this supposed to be a U-47/U-48 hybrid? The U-47 only had cardioid and omni patterns available. The U-48 replaced the omni pattern with figure-of-eight. All three are selectable on this body. Just curious about the reasoning behind it...

-James-

Hi Hellfirestudios,

if you read the start of the thread this is a body that I am building that could either have no switch (U47FET) so to have it either internal jumper or on the PSU) or have a switch, what you see there is the U67 version, the U47 would only have a 2 way switch.
Does that make sense?

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi Hellfirestudios,

if you read the start of the thread this is a body that I am building that could either have no switch (U47FET) so to have it either internal jumper or on the PSU) or have a switch, what you see there is the U67 version, the U47 would only have a 2 way switch.
Does that make sense?

regards

Spence.

My apologies. I see that body style, and immediately think U-47.

FWIW, because the headbasket plays an integral role in the capsules frequency repsonse, I would guess most people would want something a bit more like the U-67 in design. Don't get me wrong, the mic looks amazing. Could a different headbasket be designed to fufill the U-67 need?

Hi Hellfire,

thats exactly what we are gonna fo as well, have a U67 Head basket that fits on the body, giving you the choice between the two headbaskets.
I am waiting for some more CAD photos then we finalise , then we build the prototypes, so very soon pictures will be up.

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Costing is far from done yet and everything is still in the CAD stage of designing but hopefully all being well a price point of an order of about 10-20 should work out about $250/£150 for one mic body.

Spencerleehorton said:
Getting very close to finishing the CAD of these mic bodies, pricing is going to hopefully be within £250-£300 per body, made all of brass and finished in a variety of finishes, still waiting for specimen finishes to be completed.

Wait, these are now 350€ a pop?

Hi All,

The prices have all been approx. so far, I'm putting a realistic price on how to feasibly get these built, these are going to be made with top grade materials and hand made in UK, the £300/€350/$450 per unit isn't for a cheap aluminium light weight body and its not mass made in china.
The designer is finishing this week and we shall go into producing a small run. We have some contacts at the BBC and have to do some for them first.
Im sorry if you think the prices are too expensive, but it does cost a fair bit of money to produce a batch of these, and we will try to keep the cost to as little as possible, but if it costs that much to make then thats what it will have to be I'm afraid.
Again, these are only approx costs, until we get materials in and finish the first batch i am only guessing as there can be a plethora of errors which can happen from now until the first batch is finished.

regards

Spence.

it's not that I think that they are expensive in the absolute (if indeed they are top quality), just in the relative to how they have been approximated from the get go. I'm not saying this to be mean, but it's hard to commit to buying something that already once jumped in price by a factor of two. Otherwise, I'm still interested for the short body FETs and maybe even for the 67 headbaskets, if you can make them separate (as I already have a lead on the tapered bodies).

HI Baadc0de,

well im hoping the prices will come in once done at nearer the first figure, will keep you posted. Where are you getting the tapered bodies, i might be interested in a few of them!!! :)

regards

Spence.

Latest posts

Back