[Feeler] U47 - U47FET Mic Bodies with U67 & U47 style head basket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spencerleehorton said:
HI Baadc0de,

well im hoping the prices will come in once done at nearer the first figure, will keep you posted. Where are you getting the tapered bodies, i might be interested in a few of them!!! :)

regards

Spence.

They are a leftover from banged 87s. Why there are only bodies with bottom bells but no headbaskets, circuitry or capsules is beyond me, but they are cheap, if a very limited number from a local radio station. Still haggling for the details, but a lead it is.

Hi All,

just finished another meeting with the CAD designer for doing the U47 body. First it looks amazing, when comparing it to the beezneez version there is no comparison, the beezneez is way off, the only ones that are close is the Wagner version or the Flea version but these as far as i know you can buy just the bodies, and price wise they are silly money, but you get what you pay for and they look very precise and accurate the originals.
Outside the mic is exactly the same measurements, inside we have adapted the bottom section so it can have the 3 rails as per the original or 2 rails to either house the pcbs from dany or your own pcbs (or any other you want)
In the head basket we can do the polar pattern selector as per the original or not.
Im not going to put up any more impressions or pictures until we finish the first little batch which should be in a couple of weeks.
Things are starting to move forward now, so not long to wait until you see some photos!!

regards

Spence.

Hi Spence,

sounding good. Would there be only long body tube 47 types in the first batch or would there be any short body FET47 types?

Hi Guys,

Im hoping for short and long body U47 bodies for the first test batch, more will follow, as in the U67 head basket and M49 short body.
All will be interchangeable, inside the mic's it you will either be able to have the 2 rail system or the 3 rail system, both are accommodated for internally.
more info will follow next week on the update.

regards

Spence.

Hi Spence,

What sort of timescale are we looking at for the long body u47 body?

If the price came down to £200 then I'd definitely be up for one.

Hi letterbeacon,

A few setbacks with the cad designer, but very nearly there, just a tiny bit needed to be done for the bottom section that houses the XLR, everything else is done.

more to follow.

regards

Spence.

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi All,

just finished another meeting with the CAD designer for doing the U47 body. First it looks amazing, when comparing it to the beezneez version there is no comparison, the beezneez is way off, the only ones that are close is the Wagner version or the Flea version but these as far as i know you can buy just the bodies, and price wise they are silly money, but you get what you pay for and they look very precise and accurate the originals.
Outside the mic is exactly the same measurements, inside we have adapted the bottom section so it can have the 3 rails as per the original or 2 rails to either house the pcbs from dany or your own pcbs (or any other you want)
In the head basket we can do the polar pattern selector as per the original or not.
Im not going to put up any more impressions or pictures until we finish the first little batch which should be in a couple of weeks.
Things are starting to move forward now, so not long to wait until you see some photos!!

regards

Spence.

Hi Spence, how are you?  How is the body building going?  I realise that you feel that the BeesNeez bodies are way off and in some ways you are right.  The BeesNeez mic body whilst it may look a little different, adheres very closely to the both internal and external dimensions of the original U47 body.  The main differences to note are that we do not use Aluminium in the body tube as we prefer to use bore sleeve brass tubing as it is a far superior metal.  We also choose to control patterns from the power supply as it makes for a more reliable microphone if there is no switching on the body.  Our base of course is the Neutrick 7 pin insert as it has proven to be over the years a far more stable connector but of course the binder is nice too. 

We are really happy with our mic body, it has a base density co-efficient of more than 7 times the original u47 and weighs twice as much.  I really hope that your body works out very well for you, i feel your pain as far as the frustrations of manufacturing.  I am not trying to take prominence in your thread but i felt the need to let you know that the internal and external measurements of the BeesNeez body, including the mesh used in the head grille are the same as the U47. 

I really look forward to seeing your bodies and i hope they work out for you.

Ben Sneesby

Hi Ben,

thats really nice thank you for what you have said, I am now waiting for a quote on the CNC machining as the original guy i was in business with is no longer trading. Another friend of mine has kindly put together new CAD files for all the possible mic bodies.
The Neutrik 7 pin is a very nice connector and I have spoken to Neutrik about using this one also.
So far the range of mic bodies is as follows:
U47 long style - has 2 sleeves one with switch holes and one without
U47 short style - has 2 sleeves one with switch holes and one without
both styles has 2 types of internal pcb mounts - 3 pole (U47) dual rail that could be used with U47,U47 FET,U67,U87,M269
U67 head basket style - other variation head basket to swap with U47 head basket
M49 style - as per M49 and M50

The first style being CNC'd is the M49 hopefully i will hear back from the machinist this week with a price, if its an ok price i will get a few done and then get some photos up.
hopefully things should move forward fairly fast now.

regards

Spence.

have spoke to a new CNC guy as the previous one has let me down, and he has said all being well he should be able to do me 2 prototypes by the end of the week, so will update once i know more.

regards

Spence.

Hey, Felixstowe. I've seen the lights countless times, from the ferry to and from Harwich.  :)

Anyway, this looks interesting if you can pull it off. Is this the M49 body year? On the other side of the big pond they're working hard on one, too. Well, no doubt poctop's great M49 PCB has to do with this.

BTW, do modify that U47 bowler hat, or few(er) will be interested, I'm afraid.

Back