MK-U47 - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its been just over 2 months since  max has chimed in on this? i know he's been around, i think he's playing hard to get ;)

From the looks of his other offerings, it seems he has been quite busy fulfilling many other orders! Like sending me a BV11 for an M49 I'm going to build.

I'm sure this kind of thing takes some time to develop and do right...:)

Thanks Max for your awesome products!

Mike

Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to mic building, but not new to electronics; having slaved over a soldering iron at a Scientific Atlanta lab in the past.

I've read the U47 is a superb vocal mic and I'm really looking forward to building the MK-U47! I guess I'll build the power supply too!  ;)

Cheers!
Reggie

Thank you guys,

and sorry, i know a update is way overdue.

Besides the additions to my transformer shop - as mentioned the Bv.11 and recently the Bv.08  - i spend a lot of time trying to re-create the M7 Capsule.
Although i progressed quite a bit, i still can't control all parameters in production to go for series production.
I decided to build a small but precise lathe with a  build-in drilling head to be able to do the operation on one machine, but that will take some time.
So in my first batch of Mk-U47 no capsule will be included and i recommend the Thiersch Blue line.

Did you guys order the capsule with it's holder included? If so, which height did you choose?

The housing is coming along slowly but nicely and i'm still hoping to be able to release the kit in late 2013.
The finish still needs to be done, and i'm particularly picky about the bead blasting and the galvanic treatment.
But that's where the use of brass pays off, i hope the end-result will be really nice.

-Max

ioaudio said:
Thank you guys,

Besides the additions to my transformer shop - as mentioned the Bv.11 and recently the Bv.08  - i spend a lot of time trying to re-create the M7 Capsule.
Although i progressed quite a bit, i still can't control all parameters in production to go for series production.
I decided to build a small but precise lathe with a  build-in drilling head to be able to do the operation on one machine, but that will take some time.
So in my first batch of Mk-U47 no capsule will be included and i recommend the Thiersch Blue line.

Did you guys order the capsule with it's holder included? If so, which height did you choose?

The housing is coming along slowly but nicely and i'm still hoping to be able to release the kit in late 2013.
The finish still needs to be done, and i'm particularly picky about the bead blasting and the galvanic treatment.
But that's where the use of brass pays off, i hope the end-result will be really nice.

-Max

Do you have any idea of the initial quantities or ballpark pricing yet.  Very keen to get in on this one.

never post on this one... but i follow since beginning!!!

I already have 2 MK47 with Equinox body, but for sure i will go for two of this one!!!
and 2 or 3 more for friend's group buy.
so count me for 4 pces minimum  :)

any price range idea?

Zam

Hi All

I've built a ribbon mic from scratch in the past but I'm currently researching a couple of tube mic builds: A _C12 and a _U47...

Looks like the search for the _U47 project ends here. Brilliant work Max.

Please count me in for one.

Finally, apologies if this covered elsewhere or is a stupid question; but I see that the 6028/408a is recommended for the MK47 build...will the same tubes be utilised in this project?

very very exciting! I love building stuff!!! huzzah :D

ioaudio said:
Thank you guys,

-Max
Why the blue line Max? Andreas Grosser recommends the red line himself, at least he did to me over the phone. I guess I'm concerned over long term stability due to the PVC degradation over time...Is the sound superior in some way to the red line mylar version? Thoughts?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your kit!

Mike

Why the blue line Max? Andreas Grosser recommends the red line himself, at least he did to me over the phone. I guess I'm concerned over long term stability due to the PVC degradation over time...Is the sound superior in some way to the red line mylar version? Thoughts?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your kit!

Mike
Without wanting to flood this thread with a PVC vs Mylar debate:

+1 on this question...

I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go... :-\

I've read far and wide. There is a good discussion here on the topic between some notable mic gurus...

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=28330.0

but the jury still seems to be out...

Latest posts

Back