MK-U47 - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the talk about the blueline...here is my 2 cents..

I have a beeznees K7, M7, Thiersch blueline, i've tried all of them in my mk47 for extended periods, the blueline resides in the 47 now and for good, there is no doubt in my mind it's the best capsule for this mic.

tonycamp said:

I have a beeznees K7, M7, Thiersch blueline, i've tried all of them in my mk47 for extended periods, the blueline resides in the 47 now and for good, there is no doubt in my mind it's the best capsule for this mic.
Tony, thanks for the feedback. What do you like better about the blueline vs all the rest?

Thanks,

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
tonycamp said:

Tony, thanks for the feedback. What do you like better about the blueline vs all the rest?

Thanks,

Mike

I've thought about how to describe it without sounding like a cliche...not easy lol
i guess i would say there is a focused smoothed 3d character that none of the others had, very easy on the S's and T's, definitely not lurchy and zing free on the top, with no jumpy whoomph on the low mid down, these attributes excelled to different degrees beyond the others to my ears, it sounds more "comfy" and sits like a record without twisting any knobs? I guess the bottom line is it sounded the most like my idea of a U47.

What was unexpected is just how different all the capsules sound from one to the next, i figured subtle diffs
I put the K7 in a multi pattern schoeps fet mic, it sounds really good there, but the mk47/blueline is just magic imo.

I was wondering what elastic suspension would go well with this. What about the Peluso for the 47? Does look unquestionable chinese.
http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/parts/Mounts.html

frans said:
I was wondering what elastic suspension would go well with this. What about the Peluso for the 47? Does look unquestionable chinese.
http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/parts/Mounts.html

You can get the same mounts without the Peluso name MUCH cheaper from various sellers on ebay for example, I think one guy is called Q Mic he's a US seller, has a website I believe.  I only paid $20ish if I remember right, for my C12/251 size mounts that look just like the Peluso in person, maybe different color elastic.

i'm wondering how much diameter the clone's gonna have? short or ong body?
a standard u47 has 60 mm (short body) or 63 mm (long body)

found that one on ebay
http://www.ebay.de/itm/141036077571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

it can handle mics with up to 63 mm.
should be fine.

The body tube is 60mm for the short and the long body. 63mm is the biggest diameter of the head basket.

Unfortunately the housing is still not finished and the release will be postboned to 2014.

-Max

It's really about time for an update, thanks for the patience everyone.

I made a decision to be able to release the first batch of kits soon - they will be equipped with headgrilles made by FLEA.
FLEA is known for producing mic bodies for the finest U47 clones out there and i'm glad to include their handmade grille for this project.
There are still a few things to be done, but i'm looking at a timeframe of four to six weeks from now;
This was a long road but it feels good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I will soon post more details of whats included, options and pricing in a seperate feeler thread soon.
As usual i don't take any pre-payments for my products.

Hey,

no final pricing as of yet.

sr1200 said:
Are you doing polarity switch on the body or PS or not at all?

Thats one thing i'm working on, changing the highZ board to include the relais for the (remote) pattern switching.

New_HighZ_board.jpg

Hey Max,

now I'm a little confused because you wrote "remote" pattern switch - so it won't be on the body?
Maybe I got it wrong...

Why the relays? Why not do it as per the original?
Thanks

ioaudio said:
Hey,

no final pricing as of yet.

sr1200 said:
Are you doing polarity switch on the body or PS or not at all?

Thats one thing i'm working on, changing the highZ board to include the relais for the (remote) pattern switching.

New_HighZ_board.jpg

rainton said:
Hey Max,

now I'm a little confused because you wrote "remote" pattern switch - so it won't be on the body?
Maybe I got it wrong...

Thanks

Hi Rainton,

the relais (one) is required for the pattern switch since the headbaskets i ordered from Flea do not have the switch cutout.
The switch will be in the Psu, just like the Mk47.

Thanks Max,

I was really hoping for a pattern switch on the mic like the original...
...wasn't it what you wanted to do in the first place? At least as far as I remember the first pages of this thread.

Is there an option to use a head basket with pattern switch with the MK U47?
Like with the one from Oliver Archut (AMI) for example - or the one with pattern switch from Flea?

Thanks again!

ioaudio said:
rainton said:
Hey Max,

Maybe I got it wrong...

Thanks

Hi Rainton,

the relais (one) is required for the pattern switch since the headbaskets i ordered from Flea do not have the switch cutout.
The switch will be in the Psu, just like the Mk47.

Back