MK-U47 - build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a complete FleA body kit for a U47 and man, they ain't cheap!!! But Ivan is cool at FleA, and their stuff is high quality.

I guess DIY'ing a headbasket clone would be pretty tough then, right Max? Just curious why you opted to get their headbasket to begin with. I thought you were going to have a mercury reed switch for the pattern...

ioaudio said:
Well the headbasket with pattern switch from Flea is 594 Euro - an amount i couldnt add to this kit.

Good lookin out!  From what I've seen so far this kit is mandatory for me (already have a Thiersch and 20 tubes waiting) so glad to see it's not 100% accurate at unreasonable cost.  It'd be nice, but considering the pattern in the PSU route will be just fine and I doubt there will be audible difference.

ioaudio said:
Well the headbasket with pattern switch from Flea is 594 Euro - an amount i couldnt add to this kit.

Yes you're right, it's really expensive - 594 Euros is for the complete head though - incl. everything but the capsule.
But even just their head grille with hole for the pattern switch comes in at 396 Euros!

That's why I mentioned TAB Funkenwerks U47 head grille which is 150$...

Max can you please give us the option to buy your MK-U47 kit without the head grille - for those who want to go the extra mile and
do it as per the original?

Even though I see the bottom plate of the head as well as the head plate of the body need to have a recess to place the pattern selection slider in there 

EDIT Shoot, just realized the body tube would have to have this notch, too  :-\

So just a reminder its tax return season here in the USA so lets get cracking. Money must be spent on quality kit.

I have some really good news: After some back and forth FLEA agreed to machine the cutout for the pattern switch.
So, additionally to the flea quality, the mic will now have the cardioid/omni switch directly on the body - just as planned!
This might take a little longer than anticipated, but i'm very glad to be able to include this feature.

ioaudio said:
I have some really good news: After some back and forth FLEA agreed to machine the cutout for the pattern switch.
So, additionally to the flea quality, the mic will now have the cardioid/omni switch directly on the body - just as planned!
This might take a little longer than anticipated, but i'm very glad to be able to include this feature.

Hooorayy!!  :)

This is awesome news Max! Thanks!

ioaudio said:

Wooow. incredible  ;D  ;D  ;D

how much is the switch going to add to the cost and would there be on opt for a body without the switch.  If it saves me a couple of hundred dollars then I would rather not have the switch at the body.  It doesn't take much to switch the polar pattern at the PSU. 

Brotastic said:
how much is the switch going to add to the cost and would there be on opt for a body without the switch.  If it saves me a couple of hundred dollars then I would rather not have the switch at the body.  It doesn't take much to switch the polar pattern at the PSU.

Well there's always the MK47 currently available if you're not going for authenticity.  I think if it can be done at similar cost to the original estimates lets go for it.  This version was supposed to be the physical clone, not just the electrical clone.

Category 5, I am not trying to stir the pot and I know that a lot of individuals want the mic to be as authentic looking as possible.  I want to get this particular kit because I am looking for great sound and build quality.  I think Max is doing this with this project.  I don't remember him stating his goal was to have a physically authentic looking mic.  From what I gather he wants the best sound and build quality.  There are a lot of posts on this project and if I missed something...I do apologize in advance.  Everyone on the forum has different things that are important to them.  There is a lot of passion about these mice and for good reason.  So....

What is important to me, is sound first of all and build quality.  In my opinion, I could careless if the switch is on the body or the PSU.  So, if there is an option for that I would love to save a few hundred dollars.  If the cost is minimal, I would gladly have a mic with the polar pattern switch on the mic itself. 

What ever Max decides for the build will be fine with me.  I am going to get two mics regardless. 

I hope this clears things up. 

No doubt.  Max had stated he was going with the FLEA to keep cost down. Now that they are going to cut the switch port I doubt that goal has changed.  We all win!

Hi Max,

i'm about to order a Thiersch Blue Line capsule, and i'm really interested by your kit and wonder if i need to buy the capsule holder from Thiersh or not ? And is there some differences between capsule holder ?

And can you let us know what will be included in your kit ?

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work !

Lionel

For prototyping i am working with Flea's capsule holder, but Thiersch's holder will fit too.
The capsule holder will not be included. A summary of what's included will be presented soon.

-max

ioaudio said:
For prototyping i am working with Flea's capsule holder, but Thiersch's holder will fit too.
The capsule holder will not be included. A summary of what's included will be presented soon.

-max

Thanks for the feedback Max !

i'm seriously hoping to be able to order a pair if i can swing the cost.  I've only heard great things about your trafos and kits, and i'm sure these mics will be as great.  Thanks for putting in all the hours on this!

Latest posts

Back